Wikid Wednesday

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Wikid Wednesday

Postby jacob42.2 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:26 am

Well it was wikid until 6am when I got a call for work :( . Today, providing I can fit it in, I have a 5-7k. Hopefully if I can get home early enough I can power through that and still have lots of time to meet Paul.

By the way, any Ottawa Maniacs wanna come out to the Cumberland Arms at 7pm tonight, you're more than welcome!
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:52 am

Day 1 of my tapering begins with either an R&R Day or an easy recovery ride this afternoon ...

Well, that's it for me and from me folks ... Isn't tapering kinda boring :!: :oops:

andy :) Peace !!!!
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Scotty
Bill Crothers

Postby Scotty » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:06 am

Because of the advice I've been getting today is my first 40 minute run. Going to run for time to try and build myself up a little. :?

HCD- What is "tapering"? Sounds like something to do with candles or haircuts.... :?:

Hope everyone has a "Wikid Wednesday"!!! :P
For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
~Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy, you have to earn."

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:17 am

Scotty Hortonville wrote:HCD- What is "tapering"? Sounds like something to do with candles or haircuts.... :?:

Tapering is when my mean Coach tells me to reduce my training and workouts over the next 10 days to practically nuttin' as I approach my A-Race and/or Big Race/Event .... It is basically as structured reduction of training to let the body heal, rest and recover from the recent round of high volume and intensity workouts ...

In my case, however, as I maintain my high carb diet and low physical output, I get really antsy and drive my colleagues at the office batty .... It's also the time where, although I should rest and start focusing on my race goals, a time for restraint from doing that extra workout (intensity and/or volume) that my result in me doing something stupid that could hinder/affect my race .....

andy :) Peace !!!!
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Scotty
Bill Crothers

Postby Scotty » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:20 am

See, now it all makes sense to me, well good luck and drive'm as batty as you have too. :twisted:
For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
~Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy, you have to earn."

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:34 am

Another night with very little sleep...I feel like crap.

That being said, going to get to the gym today, ride the bike, do some core strength work...it's well overdue.

Happy Wednesday!
Last edited by lovethehills on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:45 am

No gym but cycling commute to the office, cyclocross style.
I spent a better portion of the commute to work riding offroad & practicing mounts & dismounts. Some of the morning drivers must have been wondering why this fool was hopping off his bike (real easy), taking a few steps, & then jumping back on the bike (real hard). I struggle mightily on the remounts & never really got the technique down right in the past. This season, I will hopefully make some in roads to that problem.
Have a great day!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:52 am

Just got back from a 35 minute base run with 6 sets of 100m strides at the end...this cooler weather is a treat!

Off to the office now...

Joanne
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:00 am

A nice brick tonight......15k ride, 5 k run...
Not able to enjoy the taper that HCD is...to many mixed distance race this summer, that work still needs to be done....will get about a 4 day taper b4 the HI.

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Karin
Johnny Miles

Postby Karin » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:08 am

Well yesterday was an unscheduled rest so I'm 1 day behind on my training. This is the first time I've ever really listened to my body and not run when I really wanted to. So, tonight is yesteday's 6km run. I guess I'm going to have to run it after we go to the Cumberland Arms tonight, that'll be interesting.

Karin

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:21 am

wednesday now means cross training day for me. so i made it to the gym for 25min on the bike, then did 30min strength (it has been a while since i was there, and wow, did i ever have to lower the weights! :oops: ), and then some core strength work. it was good.

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:25 am

Probably a 8-10 k run after work tonight. Will decide then. And after today I am on vacation until Sept 7
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:31 am

had a great 25 km ride and a wonderful game of ultimate frisbee last night! :) I assume a "game" of ultimate is worth the 0.5 for cross training points, as it wasn't a tournament (although this weekend's finals tournament is a tourny!)

Today - 10 km run with the RR and dog! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:34 am

my schedule's rearranged due to work this week, so I will be having a rest day today.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:52 am

well, I was originally going to go to the gym and run on the "dreadmill" again....but Melissa put a bug in my ear about RR practice tonight and grub after....knowing her, that means nachos...

so I am still up in the air as to what I am going to do....but either way, it is not a rest day for me.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Monolithic
Johnny Miles

Postby Monolithic » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:06 am

a slow 9k last night, trying to keep the HR down....a bit sore in the knees today though...nothing a day off wont fix.
"Gasp, cough, cough! Wheeze! Hack! Cough, Gasp, Hack, Cough, Cough Cough!! "
my first 2k.

lastmilelori
Johnny Miles

Postby lastmilelori » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:08 am

Got up early and did some upper body strength training today. It has been awhile since the dumbbells were lifted, I swear some had cobwebs on them! :oops:

Kids and husband are off to daycamp and work today, so I am on my own. I am in the midst of a quick housecleanup and then I am off to run 6K and 4 hills. After that, I am hitting the books. I am taking another TESL course... at this rate, I should be able to teach ESL by the time I retire.... :roll:

It's my middle child's 6th birthday today! After daycamp/work we are going to the beach for a picnic supper and swim. I am looking forward to that.

Lori
On May 28th, 2006, I will run 21km to support the Ottawa Hospital Foundation.

https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/Star ... SID=764626

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:18 am

Taking a rest day to nurse a sore upper thigh, might drop in the gym tonight to do some upper body work but probably not.....I hate taking the extra rest days but I can't afford an injury right now.

Have an awsome day!!

Stephan

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:19 am

16km ride into work this morning. Same thing this evening.

I felt a bit silly this morning. I meticulously check my tire pressure before every ride on my road bike, but I rarely check my MTB tires. They felt a bit soft this morning, so I checked the pressure. Ooops, down around 30psi. Kind of low, even for knobbies. I pumped the tires up and not surprisingly, my ride in was 5 minutes faster than it has been. :lol: :lol:

So, every one remember .... check your tire pressure!
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:23 am

6.2K run for me -- my pace is a bit faster than it was, must be all the inactivity... It's good to be up and out in the morning again. Now if I could get the rest of my day to go as smoothly.

8K tomorrow then rest til Sunday.
BG

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:38 am

Happy Hump Day/Wikid Wednesday!
Had a nice 12k run last night though a couple of trails.
I was a bit concerned about that distance because my shins were fairly sore yesterday. After the run I ran cold water on my legs and iced.
Today I am happy to report that the shins are feeling much better than yesterday!
We'll see how they feel after hills tonight (7). :twisted:

I'm off work Thurs. & Fri. to go to a friend's cottage in Parry Sound.

Thurs. I will run 10k from home; may get in a short run Fri. or Sat.
Then it is 29k on Sunday- my longest run yet!!! I'm excited.

Have a great rest of the week and super weekend!!!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:43 am

Diva have you tried using a rolling pin on your shins? I've found that going really hard on them, as well as digging my knuckles in hard (ouch), then icing and advil-ing, got rid of them quickly (although I've only had acute shinsplints- they've never really stuck around for more than a couple days).

Today after eating like a pig yesterday, I'm going to the gym. I'll probably hop on one of the spinning bikes, then do some weights. I have to miss my speed clinic tonight for a bridal shower :evil: so tomorrow I'll have to do that on my own!

Have a great day!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:49 am

BJH wrote:So, every one remember .... check your tire pressure!

Check tire pressure????
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:16 am

My usual Wednesday 10 km run with Bunny. Great weather, nice run!

Racer
Tom Longboat

Postby Racer » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:32 am

Today is a rest or cross-training day for me. I might take a nice long (uphill) walk to the university. It's a beautiful day!! 8)

Return to “General Running Discussion”