Good ol' RR forum

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

The Donald
Jerome Drayton

Postby The Donald » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:24 pm

All I wanted to see was an apology! But, whatever.

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:11 pm

Donald

There is an Mary Chapin Carpenter song that has a verse that goes

"Now there's a whole lot of life to be unsure of
But there's one thing that I can safely say I know
That of all the things that finally desert us
Pride is always the last thing to go"

I think that there was a little pride that prevented an apology but I can't think that the guy doing the work has anything against anyone on the forum on a personal level.

Will they apologize, not likely but hey that just the way it goes in a conflict

Cheers
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:15 pm

dbutlin wrote:All I wanted to see was an apology! But, whatever.
Donald, if all you want is an apology: I'm truly sorry for that thing I done in Texas. I dunno what came over me. If it's any consolation, I gave some of the money to orphans.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:17 pm

Um, Dave those weren't orphans, they were Vegas showgirls. I can understand your confusion with all the simpy clothes...
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:24 pm

Donald-
It seems that I have to clear my internet options every few days (delete cookies, etc.) for the login to work. I never had to do that before. I don't know why, and it's annoying. I wish they would just set up the log-in like it is here!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:36 pm

qmp wrote:Um, Dave those weren't orphans, they were Vegas showgirls. I can understand your confusion with all the simpy clothes...

Hey big mouth, those girls could have been orphans. Every time I said "who's your daddy?" they just stared at me bemused, so I assumed...

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:04 pm

dgrant wrote:
qmp wrote:Um, Dave those weren't orphans, they were Vegas showgirls. I can understand your confusion with all the simpy clothes...

Hey big mouth, those girls could have been orphans. Every time I said "who's your daddy?" they just stared at me bemused, so I assumed...

Oh, sorry, never really thought about it that way... Good point... Hey wait! But what about... er, nevermind, I forgot, "This isn't happening" :oops:
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:33 pm

Dr.J wrote:That being said, Mike, and others... I think you guys are overreacting to what went on today. This whole thing has gotten WAY blown out of proportion.

No, I don't think that's true. 60 companies pay our company (i.e. me) to administer their systems. As a professional System Administrator, I think the lesson here is, if you can't be diplomatic, don't post anything, just do your frigging job. I'm all for lively discourse, but the admin post was poorly worded, generally directed (initially) and quite frankly offensive to me as a user and a former customer.
Hola!

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:06 pm

Karin wrote:HOw long do you think a post on their site about this one would last?? Would anyone have a chance to see it?

Ha ha

Karin

Actually, I found the link to this site on the RR board. After being away for the latter part of July and early August, I was looking for a post with Jacob's results at MBTS. In the thread about MBTS on the RR board, I found a link to Jacob's race report on this site. I didn't receive an invite to this site... I just invited myself in. (I know, I know, pushy, pushy, pushy! :wink: )

I've been involved in other on-line forums, both moderated, and private ones without a moderator. This kind of stuff happens all the time. It isn't unique to the RR forum. Heck, that wasn't bad at all. You should see what happens when a whole group of hormonal, post-partum, sleep-deprived, new mothers get together and have a bad day! :shock: :roll:

Heather

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:19 pm

Heather...

Oh my gosh...you just gave me an idea....

Holly...dear Site Admin Queen...could I have my own forum for menopausal crabby women ...running in order to combat homicidal feelings .....

Just a thought...

:wink: :lol:

Joanne
C-Moss: I told you she was having a midlife crises...and I have to live with her... :shock:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:23 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Heather...

Oh my gosh...you just gave me an idea....

Holly...dear Site Admin Queen...could I have my own forum for menopausal crabby women ...running in order to combat homicidal feelings .....

Just a thought...

:wink: :lol:

Joanne
C-Moss: I told you she was having a midlife crises...and I have to live with her... :shock:

Glad I could be of some assistance!! (C-Moss you have my condolences!).

Holly, if you set it up, you'd better post a warning notice that participants enter at their own risk. I swear some of the women on our "November Mommies" board were down-right vicious! Very, very scary.

Of course, I think Joanne seems to be much more balanced than some of them ever were.

Heather

g

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:28 pm

hmacdonald wrote:I've been involved in other on-line forums, both moderated, and private ones without a moderator. This kind of stuff happens all the time. It isn't unique to the RR forum. Heck, that wasn't bad at all. You should see what happens when a whole group of hormonal, post-partum, sleep-deprived, new mothers get together and have a bad day! :shock: :roll:

Heather

Or a bunch of nicotine-deprived ex-smokers ... that (also very supportive) board has free-for-alls every Wednesday, like clockwork. Thursday is trolls.

Go to any topical site and look for the "off topic" forum, because that's where the real opinionated members go to tear the world to shreds. It can be very entertaining.

This board, by comparison, is like freaking Nirvana.
BG

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:32 pm

OK, so I go to work for the day and have no internet connection as I'm on a course. Log in after dinner and find a 5 page storm over here talking about a 6 page storm over there. I've been on other forums (or "fora" to be correct) and these 2 are very polite and moderate. I think we at RM appreciate the extra freedom to express stuff we are not allowed to over on the RR forum.

But really the forum is the people. If you like chatting with the people on the forum then you'll stay..unless of course you get booted off. The administrator should be like a good referee, invisible but still doing their job. I think it helps to have regular forumites as the admins since they know the people and understand the context oif what is going in. I would respect it if Holly told me to tone something down rather than some superadmin I'd never heard from before.

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:35 pm

nick wrote: I've been on other forums (or "fora" to be correct) .

Fora...ya learn somethin' new every day... 8)
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:53 pm

HCD wrote:Come to think of it, I do work in an open office concept in the office .... Perhaps, maybe ??? Holly .... what do you think? :roll: :lol:

I don't even know what the original suggestion was. The login procedure on here is the default for phpbb... :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:54 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Holly...dear Site Admin Queen...could I have my own forum for menopausal crabby women ...running in order to combat homicidal feelings .....

lol.

um... yeah... let me pose that to the committee and get back to you.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “General Running Discussion”