Should I Wear Headphones For My Race??

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Should I Wear Headphones For My Race??

Postby jacob42.2 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:54 pm

Well, should I...what are the pro's and con's?? For all distances.
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:30 pm

Personally, I don't think I'd wear headphones to any race of any distance (of course, I haven't done a marathon yet so can't speak for THAT distance).

Many races ban them due to safety issues. For example, someone could be coming up behind you and asking you to move, but you might not hear them.

Plus for me a huge part of the racing experience is the other people! I want to be able to talk to them, give and receive words of encouragement, etc. I also want to hear the music, the spectators, the volunteers, and the general atmosphere of the race. I think a lot would be missing if I were to drown it out with music.

but that's just me. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:42 pm

Safety really isn't an issue if the music is not too loud. But it's true that some races do ban them for that reason.

My personal opinion: I love music. I train with music for most of my solo runs now. It's essential on the treadmill :) . But in races I've never wanted to use headphones. I like to drink in the whole experience-- and some of the races I've done have music stations along the way (including one race that has live bands every kilometer. gotta love that!)

I think that if you really find you run better with music, you should race with it. Be careful, though, and be safe.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:38 pm

NO....NONONONONO!

..just kidding!
Actualy, alot of races BAN them....its a nice DQ!!!!!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:11 pm

Personally I think it depends on several factors.

For shorter races where the pack may never thin out, or where speeds are a little higher, I think headphones can be unsafe. For longer races (marathon) I find over the course of four hours I could use some outside motivation which I get from music.

For very large races I think safety again comes into consideration.

Finally, it depends what I'm trying to get out of the race. If it's a big "event" race like Chicago or NY, I would want to be able to soak in my environment. If it's a race I'm doing solely for the PB, I'd be willing to use music to take away the pain.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Re: Should I Wear Headphones For My Race??

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:38 pm

jacob42.2 wrote:Well, should I...what are the pro's and con's?? For all distances.

YES!!!

But don't turn your player up so loudly that it becomes a safety hazard. That point is very true.

Music can be a huge motivator. I know it definitely speeds me up, and it can help me zone out when I'm not feeling good. At 39K in Ottawa, I was practically singing to myself to keep my mind focused on the race and off my aching quads! And in a shorter race, it would be easy to have a playlist of all your most rockin' tunes that can get you pumped up.

If it helps you, don't hesitate.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:25 am

What are your thoughts on a curcuit course with multiple laps?
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47

RUNNING MANIA #2

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:37 am

jacob42.2 wrote:What are your thoughts on a curcuit course with multiple laps?

I think this would fall under the category of congested courses, and headphones may not be a good idea.

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:37 am

It's a completely personal thing.

Example: My Boyfriend can't imagine running without his music. I, on the other hand, cannot STAND running with earphones. (However that may change when I take on a full marathon) I need to be aware of my surroundings, taking everything in.

As everyone else has stated, you need to be smart about it. As long as your music isn't blaring and doesn't lull you into your own world, I think it's ok. You've got to be aware of whats going on.... someone trying to pass you, someone falling, whatever it could be.

If it motivates you and is what gets you to the finish line, then go for it! Just be smart.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

BBoop
Percy Williams

Postby BBoop » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:18 pm

I leave 'em off for 5 or 10K races or when I'm doing long training runs with a group. But I always have music available in case I get separated from the gang. There's no question tunes helped get me through the last 10K of Around the Bay. I tend to use it off and on, especially if there's live music or a hot DJ at water stations along a route. Don't want to miss that. I always unplug for start/finish. You want to hear the crowd and let that energy pull u along. Nothing like it.
"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death," Auntie Mame

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:39 pm

For some of the training yes - circuit most definitely.

For a race, no. The reason is that it may encourage dissociated thinking that can lead to a loss of focus. Ok in training, not good in a race. Plus, I want to experience everything in a race so would not like the distraction.

paulg
Tom Longboat

Postby paulg » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:39 am

Definitely when training solo, not so in a race, although I am thinking to carry the MP3 on a longer race just in case.
Got to have the tunes.

Paul

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:50 am

Dstew wrote:
For a race, no. The reason is that it may encourage dissociated thinking that can lead to a loss of focus. I want to experience everything in a race so would not like the distraction.

Yep..my thoughts exactly...in a race I like to be focused 100% on the task at hand and music would only distract me...for me it's better to welcome the pain that comes in race, like a relative who comes to visit and won't go home, rather than using music to try and pretend it's not there... :lol:
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

Return to “Training ”