A.R.T. / DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE / PHYSIO ?????

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

A.R.T. / DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE / PHYSIO ?????

Postby runcherylrun » Fri May 09, 2008 9:15 am

I'm still struggling with an achilles injury :( marathon is 2 weeks away.

I know some of you have mentioned that you've found A.R.T. has really helped.

What is the difference between A.R.T., deep tissue massage & regular physio therapy (ultra sound, laser, etc.)

Can/should a person use all 3???

I'm about ready to try anything at the moment.

Thanks !!
Last edited by runcherylrun on Fri May 09, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Fri May 09, 2008 9:27 am

Cheryl, I had some serious achillies tendonitis when I danced. The best thing I ever did for it is 1) ice; 2) rest; 3) gentle stretching; 4) gentle self-massage. Sometimes I think that we runners panic when we're injured, want to throw everything at the injury, and end up irritating it and making it worse.

Also, I recommend that you wear shoes that aren't completely flat - that puts a strain on the tendon (no flip flops, for instance). Stick with sneakers if you can, that don't touch or irritate the tendon when you wear them.

Seriously, rest up. Be gentle on the tendon, or it will bite you back!
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

neepsgirl
Johnny Miles

Postby neepsgirl » Fri May 09, 2008 9:29 am

I've used all three. I regularly get deep tissue massages (which reminds me, I have to schedule a new appt). And in March I got regular physiotherapy for a hip problem I was having and also a tight IT band. During one of my physiotherapy visits, he did ART on the IT band. I'M TELLING YOU IT HURTS LIKE HE$$!! But it is very worth it!!

Actually when the physio did the ART on me, he didn't tell me he was about to do it, he just did it. So then afterward (after I recovered), I asked him "Was that ART?!?!?" .... so that was my first experience with it... I didn't even know it was coming. Which may have been a good thing!

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Fri May 09, 2008 9:43 am

My husband swears by ART. He had it done on his ankle a month ago thinking he was done with running for a while but has no pain/discomfort now.

I had it done on my shoulder yesterday, even further I had graston (which is like a dull knife being dug into the tissue back and forth). I'm bruised for now but it has been helping with my right shoulder pain while swimming.
Just call me the thread killa

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri May 09, 2008 9:48 am

ART only did so much to loosen/separate the tissues, fascia (??) from the muscles and tendons ...

Physio helped with the recovery side of things, in partiuclar the ultrasound and TENS machines to reduce the scarring ... along with strengthening and offering more range of motions with the exercises ...

In the end, proper shoes and custom orthotics have been my saving grace the past 3 years .... from maintaining my achilles tendonitis issues, in particular with the amount of running I've been doing the past year or two ..
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Fri May 09, 2008 10:16 am

Active release therapy is a technique used to loosen up muscles that are overly tight. I'm pretty sure the name is patented, but the technique is based in simple physiology. Every muscle has an "antagonist" muscle that pulls in the opposite direction, so for any muscle to move you must relax the opposite muscle, this is a basic reflex action. To simplify greatly, ART uses this reflex by making you use the opposite muscle to the one that is in spasm, causing your body to relax the tight muscle. When done well it is a very effective technique.

Deep tissue massage is a more general treatment. It is also often used to loosen up tight muscles, but also works on fascia (connective tissue) and tries to break up adhesions. When a body has suffered stress it sends proteins to the area to stimulate repair, this is how we get stronger, but what often happens with stiffness is the body forms adhesions. These are places where things are supposed to be seperate, but become "glued together"; tendons, ligaments, muscles, fascia etc can all adhere to neighboring tissue which reduces free movement. Deep tissue massage (done well) breaks these adhesions.

Physio is A) a heathcare profession and B) a genralized term for physical therapy, which can use an extremely wide variety of techniques including versions of ART and deep tissue massage.

The key to any of these things is finding a highly competent provider. I've had good and bad Massage Therapists, Chiropractors, and Physiotherapists (oh, and MDs). The bad ones were at best a waste of money and at worst a health hazard, the good ones can be a Godsend. By fluke chance I happened to marry a wonderful woman who is a fantastic Osteopath, Physio and Massage therapist, so my problems are solved. For the rest of you, ask around to find providers who are athlete-friendly. Athletes are a PITA to many healthcare professionals, because we tend to ignore advice; our priorities are not neccessarily the same as other people's ("can I continue to run while my stress fracture heals?").

Michael

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Fri May 09, 2008 11:37 am

Personally, I tend to find ART a lot more efficient than physio in dealing with my injuries. It may depend on the people I go to, but I find that ART does miracles very few treatments, whereas with physio, it takes longer.

I never had the same problem you're having now, so I can't really comment on what would be the best course of action for you. Just though i'd share my experience.

I second AP's comment about wearing the proper shoes. I always choose to remain healthy rather than abide by the latest fashin. I don't wear many dress shoes, no heels and none of these awful flip flops. I could certainly be more fashionable, but what's important is that I don't injure myself.

And REST!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Fri May 09, 2008 12:36 pm

Right now you need 'a quick fix'. For this I would suggest a combination of ART and massage. Find two VERY good therapists (get recommendations from serious athletes that you trust) and make sure that they are willing to speak to each other so that there is no duplication of service and that they are complimenting the work they are doing. If you are lucky you might find two therapists in the same office.

Trust the therapist to do the work and let them know you would like to get to the start line. Also, be prepared to maybe hear something you don't want to hear (and then take or leave the advice). If it is safe for you to race, race and then make sure you take the time to address the root of the problem (either with a physiotherapist or the ART person if they are skilled in the area of exercise prescription)

I'm not sure where you are in the province......
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Fri May 09, 2008 1:14 pm

I'm not sure where you are in the province......

I live outside Wpg but work right beside it - massage therapist is in Wpg
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Fri May 09, 2008 2:12 pm

I didn't find physio very effective until I started getting IMS done. I know I am forever promoting this because it really works for me and it works fast. I have tight muscles across my lower back and tight ITBs which irritates all sorts of leg muscles and my knees. It eventually got so bad I couldn't run at all. Two weeks after starting IMS I ran a half marathon. I still get this done regularly to keep me on the road.

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Fri May 09, 2008 2:28 pm

What is IMS???????????????

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Fri May 09, 2008 2:33 pm

Guessing... Intra Muscular Stimulation?

I don't know, I just felt like saying Intra Muscular Stimulation :)
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Fri May 09, 2008 2:40 pm

abhainn wrote:Guessing... Intra Muscular Stimulation?

And how exactly do they stimulate those intra muscles? :wink:

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Fri May 09, 2008 3:06 pm

runcherylrun wrote:
abhainn wrote:Guessing... Intra Muscular Stimulation?

And how exactly do they stimulate those intra muscles? :wink:

Wouldn't you like to know :wink: 8)
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri May 09, 2008 3:42 pm

The IMS is electrical stimulation, I'm pretty sure. I've never had it though.

MichaelMc wrote:The key to any of these things is finding a highly competent provider.

I couldn't agree more. Michael's entire post gave a really good summary, actually.

I've had no luck with physio (never tried RMT), but have had great success with ART (for several different injuries, including Achilles tendonosis). My ART provider (a chiropracter) is a runner/triathlete and treats lots of serious athletes. He gives me exercises to do in between sessions, too. I know that some physios and RMT's can work similar wonders, but I won't go to anyone but my chiro now.

Your best bet is to ask around your fellow Winnipeg runners and get a recommendation.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Fri May 09, 2008 4:13 pm

Return to “Training ”