1st 1/2M - what would you do?

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Andes
Johnny Miles

1st 1/2M - what would you do?

Postby Andes » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster :)

I've been running on and off for about 3 years, but have never raced before. A couple of months ago I re-committed to running and have decided that it would be fun to work toward a specific goal, so I am now aiming for a fall 1/2 marathon.

I don't have any previous races as indicators, but based on my training times and the McMillan calculator, it looks like a 1:55 time should be achievable. My training is going well and my long run is up to 12 miles at this point, so I should have a good base built up by the fall.

I'd like to put in a solid race effort and really test myself, but I'm still new to pacing and judging my perceived effort, so I don't want to risk pushing too hard and not having fun in my first race (which is the top priority). I realize that there is plenty of time for more races (after all, I've waited years for my first one), but I'm excited and want to make the most of the fall season.

My question is, would it be feasible for me to enter two fall 1/2Ms that are 4-5 weeks apart (maybe Scotiabank and Angus Glen)? My fear is that if I treat the first race as a B race and don't race all out, I may still find that I'm not ready for a 2nd 1/2M that soon and could end up disappointed with both races. If you were me, would you put your eggs in two baskets or one?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Yes and no. Concentrate on the first one, Scotiabank is great. Make it the focus of your training, no need to think past that. It might be a good idea to throw in a 10 K "B" race during the summer, to get you used to race day protocol. Afterwards, there is lots of time to do another half later in the fall and lots to chose from. So, its not a bad idea to do 2, just plan them one at a time. Personally, I did Scotia as my first half in 2005, then after a rough race, I did 2 more that fall and had much better results.

Oh, and welcome to RM.
Last edited by Doonst on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:01 pm

My advice would be to do the first one at full effort. You can still do Angus Glen later if you recover well. You can register early and likely transfer your registration to someone later if you don't use it (because that race sells out).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:35 pm

Thanks for the input! I didn't realize that Angus Glen sells out, but now that I know I'll make sure to plan in advance.

Since it sounds like there will be plenty of time to recover sufficiently and fit in a 2nd fall 1/2, I think I'll set an ambitious goal for Scotia and see how it plays out. Then if I need to, I'll redeem myself the second time around...

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:24 am

Welcome to RM!

Angus Glen is a good option for a fall 1/2 marathon but you might also want to look at PEC. There will be quiet a few Maniacs going this year.! :wink:

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:53 am

I completely agree with Doonst: make the first 1/2 your focus, get a shorter "training race" in and take the second 1/2 as it comes. If you train properly for RACING a 1/2 marathon your recovery should be fine and I wouldn't be surprized if your second 1/2 was faster, but don't plan it that way. A solid 10k will give you a good idea of what pace the first race should be; a smart run there will teach you a lot. 8)

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:04 am

My 4 cents:

- I find that if I'm going to do several races back-to-back it's easier to space them more closely rather than less closely. It makes things simpler because your recovery from one better overlaps with your taper for the next. If you wait 4 or 5 weeks in between then you have to make a good training plan for the second and third weeks after the first race. You can't just rest up the whole time.

- Angus Glen is one of the few half marathons around here for which you have to register long in advance, making it a poor choice (IMHO) as a second fall half. If you want to be able to play it by ear and spend your money when you're 100% sure you'll be doing the race, Hamilton is the same weekend as Angus Glen. (But I'd make my double the two Toronto races, which are three weeks apart.)

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:09 am

My suggestion is to have no expectations of your second race. I did my first half marathons about 3 weeks apart. The first was awesome and I raced it hard. The second I just didn't feel like racing (plus I had crappy weather and I told someone I'd help pace them... learning experience for me a) I won't do another winter half and b) I can't pace anyone, I'd rather race).

There's something really fun about doing it though :) Just ease up on your expectations for #2 and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Just call me the thread killa

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:17 am

Thanks everyone! Dgrant, I was originally thinking of doing the 2 Toronto marathons, as I was having a tough time choosing between the two. I was worried that they were too close together for a first time racer, but I'll think again about giving it a shot.

a_beacher, it would definitely be interesting to witness the hoopla at PEC, but I'd have to choose between that and Scotia. I think that for a first race, I'd prefer to stay close to home to minimize the number of variables to stress out about. :oops:

Doonst and MichaelMc, I had been ignoring the voices in my head suggesting that a shorter warmup race would be a good idea, but now that the experts have spoken... I think I'll find 10k racing more painful than fun, but I suppose I should give it a shot. Any tips on good 10k races for beginners? I know that there are some on Canada day, but I don't feel quite ready to get out there yet.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:35 am

Andes wrote:Thanks everyone! Dgrant, I was originally thinking of doing the 2 Toronto marathons, as I was having a tough time choosing between the two. I was worried that they were too close together for a first time racer, but I'll think again about giving it a shot.

a_beacher, it would definitely be interesting to witness the hoopla at PEC, but I'd have to choose between that and Scotia. I think that for a first race, I'd prefer to stay close to home to minimize the number of variables to stress out about. :oops:

Doonst and MichaelMc, I had been ignoring the voices in my head suggesting that a shorter warmup race would be a good idea, but now that the experts have spoken... I think I'll find 10k racing more painful than fun, but I suppose I should give it a shot. Any tips on good 10k races for beginners? I know that there are some on Canada day, but I don't feel quite ready to get out there yet.

There is one in Burlington on a Thursday night later in July that I have done. http://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=3333 It can be hot, but they have had race day registration so you can decide late whether to do it or not.

I also see the "The Beaches Jazz Tune Up 20k, 10k, and 5k Training Run
Sunday, July 27th" http://www.canadarunningseries.com/jazz/ but I have never done it. Anyone?

One reason to do a 10 K would be just to get used to the routine of a race, the chips, bibs, water stations, etc. Less to worry about or go wrong for your big race.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:49 pm

MichaelMc wrote:I completely agree with Doonst: make the first 1/2 your focus, get a shorter "training race" in and take the second 1/2 as it comes. If you train properly for RACING a 1/2 marathon your recovery should be fine and I wouldn't be surprized if your second 1/2 was faster, but don't plan it that way. A solid 10k will give you a good idea of what pace the first race should be; a smart run there will teach you a lot. 8)

Yep...I like that strategy.
I try and run a 10km before my HalfM. A Event.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “Training ”