running when sick

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

k8
Johnny Miles

running when sick

Postby k8 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:31 pm

so, how many of you will "run through" a cold vs taking time off? i don't mean a hard core case of the flu, rather the general head cold situation that this weather switch seems to cause people to be more prone to. do you feel better if you get out there and run for a bit, or are you more miserable later on if you do that? do you think it shakes the cold out of you faster or draws it out longer? how about if you're feeling a "bit under the weather".. do you think running will tip you over into a full blown illness?

discuss :)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:36 pm

I have run during colds with no problem. They say the rule of thumb is that if you're sick above the shoulders, run. If you're sick below the shoulders (ie, chest cold or flu) then don't run.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:37 pm

The weather doesn't cause colds-- that's a myth. :) Well, we could catch a virus more easily if we are cold and chilled in wet weather, and colds do tend to spread more easily when we are indoors more.

Anyway, as for running with colds-- it's ok if you just have an every day cold, unless:

1) You are feeling really run down (when the extra stress on your body keeps the immune system from doing it's job). This run-down feeling ususally only lasts a day or two at most, and is ususally before the actual cold symptoms are bad.

or

2) The cold symptoms are in your lungs. If you just have symptoms in your nose and head area, you're ok to go. Running might help you feel better, actually (but maybe take some tissues). If you have any symptoms in your lungs, the heavy breathing of running can make things much worse.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:16 am

I would stick to shorter runs, long runs tend to run down the immune system. (differs based on level of fitness)

Nothing wrong with taking a break and resting.

k8
Johnny Miles

Postby k8 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:23 pm

just curious.. i used to find swiming when sick was fantastic.. although probably not for everyone else in the pool (thank goodness for chlorine ;). running, however, doesn't seem to make me feel better if i'm sick.. but maybe i'm just wimpy!

scottp
Bruce Kidd

Postby scottp » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:57 pm

For colds and sore throat, I stick to short easy runs until I've "turned the corner".

I also try hard to catch an extra hour or two of sleep a day.
Your body usually tells you when you're ready to do quality runs again.

For serious flu or bronchial type sickness I lay off exercise except for some easy walking outdoors just to stay sane.

Scott

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:06 pm

I have been going through a serious sinus infection that is not allowing me to run as my head pounds and I feel the vibration in my sinus cavity so running was out. I swam today and although a bit of breathing issues it felt amazing!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:54 pm

k8 wrote:just curious.. i used to find swiming when sick was fantastic! running, however, doesn't seem to make me feel better if i'm sick.

I guess it depends on what you are calling "sick". I don't think of regular cold (which for me seems to last all winter) as being sick. I often feel worse with no cold symptoms, and then I rest.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:24 am

If I have a cold I kep exercising - I find it makes me feel better. Sweat it out so to speak. If I start out and find that I'm really not feeling up to it then I'll just bail.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:34 am

Did you pass on that cold to me (i felt sick yesterday and today) :evil:

I find that short/fun runs with no time/distance expectations are good if the cold is mostly stuffiness, but not if i am coughing. But, i don't find it helps in the morning much (i am too stuffy from the night before), only at lunch/post work/the end of the day if i still have energy. I find swimming is worse than running with a cold for me.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Return to “Training ”