(almost) barefoot experiences

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Scadian
Johnny Miles

Postby Scadian » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:18 pm

I was introduced to these shoes by a friend of mine. I like the fit and feel of them. I am a sprinter by nature and often go out too hard! The day after I workout (usually 1-2k) in these, my calves hurt. I have been away on course and forgot them at home, but will get back into using them.
I will let you know how it turns out!
I have noticed that heel strike becomes very uncomfortable! I have the KSO. It is definitely more comfortable to run on other surfaces but running on pavement isn't too bad (when running on my toes).
James
Carpe Diem

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:38 pm

I've been experimenting with barefoot running on my treadmill. I was having knee issues and found when I run barefoot my knee doesn't hurt. The only problem I found was that I get a blister on the bottom of the toe next to my big toe. I presume that it's from rubbing on the treadmill track, so I might try and find those neoprene booties.
I like the feel of barefoot running, and hope to do more of it.

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:32 am

I used my Vibrams at the gym today for my warm up on the TM and then for my weight routine. I found it a very interesting. I got lots of strange looks from lots of men and women. However, not one guy approached me and asked about them. But, I had 8 different women come and ask me about my shoes.

I still haven't gone above 20 minutes in them yet. For now, I am trying to run 3 times a week in them. I ran 21k on Sunday (in regular shoes) and I think I am running more on my forefoot even in my regular shoes. My calves were quite sore after the 21k and that hasn't happened to me before.
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

Return to “Training ”