Winter Marathoning Tips by Patrick McCrann

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:03 pm

Let's face it...winter marathon training isn't for the faint of heart, with the waning daylight hours and the cold weather. Here are tips for successful winter training.

Long Runs: No cutting corners here. A long run needs to be done outside unless you live in extreme weather conditions (if so, see the Treadmill section). If it's really cold, wait until midday to run and use the early morning for a core or flexibility session. In the winter you (and your shoes!) will need a longer warm-up. Be patient and let your body get into a groove.

Hydration: Even though it isn't hot, your hydration needs are pretty much the same. The biggest difference is that you won't be feeling the outward signs of your work (sweat and salt). On really cold days, keep your fluids under your outer layer so they don't freeze.

Functional Gear: Lightweight gloves and a skullcap can be pulled off and stuffed into the pockets of an outer layer. The outer layer should be windproof and have zippers in the armpits for ventilation.

Treadmill Training: Without external stimuli such as hills and wind, your heart rate will be lower on a treadmill. It also makes a difference that the treadmill is pushing your legs instead of you pulling your body forward. Counteract these issues by manipulating the grade periodically to stimulate your heart. Running at 0 percent grade is similar to running on a slight downward slope. Kick it up to a minimum of 1 percent to mimic your normal running style. Change up the incline and pacing to stimulate different muscle groups during your run.

Patrick McCrann, author of a Boston Marathon Training Plan, is a seven-time Ironman finisher and avid endurance runner. He blogs weekly, offering various training tips and free support on the PTS forum. For more go to http://www.performancetrainingsystems.com.

--

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:22 pm

Very interesting post..thanks!
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Re: Winter Marathoning Tips by Patrick McCrann

Postby wantmeback » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:39 pm

HCD wrote:
Long Runs: No cutting corners here. A long run needs to be done outside unless you live in extreme weather conditions (if so, see the Treadmill section).

Hmmm. I wonder what he considers "extreme weather conditions". Especially when he references "lightweight gloves." :lol: I'm pretty sure most of my January and February runs would be considered as such. My "worst" run? -32 (almost -40 with wind chill), with a foot of fresh snow on the ground, a layer of ice underneath that, and alternating freezing rain and snow during the run. The distance? 32K. The time? 4 hours and 49 minutes. I cried at about the 28K mark.

Nevertheless, great points for winter running.
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

Marvin Martian
Bruce Kidd

Postby Marvin Martian » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:44 pm

Egads! Jen, you rock!

Size5
Lynn Williams

Re: Winter Marathoning Tips by Patrick McCrann

Postby Size5 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:59 pm

gjennifer wrote: I cried at about the 28K mark.

Nevertheless, great points for winter running.

I so relate to that! I remember doing the same thing after back to back long runs in -35C while training last winter for the ultra. I think at that point I concluded I was "overtrained".

S5

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:04 am

boy, I feel like a wimp after deciding not to run outside today, and it was only -22 with the windchill!
somedays, even my lucky rocketship undies don't help

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:47 am

fasterthanmolasses wrote:boy, I feel like a wimp after deciding not to run outside today, and it was only -22 with the windchill!

I know. I often feel like a wimp when I read these type of posts. I get cold at anything below -10° C. :oops: :oops:

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:00 pm

Samantha wrote:
fasterthanmolasses wrote:boy, I feel like a wimp after deciding not to run outside today, and it was only -22 with the windchill!

I know. I often feel like a wimp when I read these type of posts. I get cold at anything below -10° C. :oops: :oops:

Me too... :oops: I think the most important thing is to ENJOY running... I mean it is our hobby right? If you're going to hate every second of a run outside in -30, I figure WHY NOT jump on the treadmill. It's not wimpy- it's a good way to prevent loss of motivation!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:25 pm

After you do a really cold weather run, put it under the heading "Building Mental Toughness" and then draw upon it on race day when fatigue and self-doubt are looming on the horizon... 8)
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:29 pm

You have the best outlook- you turn everything into a positive. It's a good quality! :D
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:06 pm

I agree with Run26.2 When its cold, icy and/or dark I know that I'm a runner. Anyone can run on a warm day in May- character is built between November and March.

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:10 pm

mike runs wrote:I agree with Run26.2 When its cold, icy and/or dark I know that I'm a runner. Anyone can run on a warm day in May- character is built between November and March.

Mike..tell me you are as much as a Springsteen addict as I am....when I look at the pic of Steve in your av I start singin' "Born to Run"... 8)

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:09 pm

I agree that those who do all runs outdoors regardless of temperature and conditions are tough... I wouldn't consider myself more of a runner if I did that, however. I'd rather do a 30K LSD on a treadmill in a solid 3:00 than sludge through snow in -30 to do it in 4 hours. I would consider the treadmill run a better training run. I often find that I'm held back in bad conditions, especially during midweek runs when I want to run faster. It's just too dangerous on some days, especially if I run in the dark and can't see the ice.

I've also gotten hypothermia a couple of times on runs, so I have a bit of a bias.

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:37 pm

QuickChick wrote:I agree that those who do all runs outdoors regardless of temperature and conditions are tough... I wouldn't consider myself more of a runner if I did that, however. I'd rather do a 30K LSD on a treadmill in a solid 3:00 than sludge through snow in -30 to do it in 4 hours. I would consider the treadmill run a better training run. I often find that I'm held back in bad conditions, especially during midweek runs when I want to run faster. It's just too dangerous on some days, especially if I run in the dark and can't see the ice.

I've also gotten hypothermia a couple of times on runs, so I have a bit of a bias.
Right...safety always comes ahead of everything else..LB, if you can do 30km on a dreadmill, then man, you are mentally tough! 8)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:19 pm

The highway's jammed with broken heroes...

I've seen Bruce about a dozen times dating back to Toronto in '84, and I saw The Rising tour three times (Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto)

I'm hooked on the Sopranos as well although like most people "Long Term Parking" shook me up.

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:41 am

mike runs wrote:The highway's jammed with broken heroes...

I've seen Bruce about a dozen times dating back to Toronto in '84, and I saw The Rising tour three times (Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto)

I'm hooked on the Sopranos as well although like most people "Long Term Parking" shook me up.
Right on brother!!!
Have seen the Boss twice in the last 3 years, including his acoustic show last July 13th in Ottawa...just picked up the Born to Run 30th Anniversary Edition DVD/CD pack and it is, in a word, superb!! It is a must for all fans of the Boss!

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:47 pm

Great post!!! I for one enjoy treadmill running. I like to mix it up and lately been doing all my treadmill runs on a "Random Hill" setting. I prefer to run outside but our Nova Scotian weather is very crappy at the best of times and I am very fearfull of ice patches (I have to do my running at night a lot). One slip and it could be the end of a training season. I have lots of time to get physically tough (weather wise), I prefer mental discipline and once I have a goal in mind I usualy don't let outside circumstances deter me from attaining it.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

"Ice the Competition"

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:34 am

RW has some good tips this month - for temps dropping into the 40's and even into the 30's.

Such as: add hat and gloves to regular racing attire (5k)
or: half tights and polypropylene shirt (marathoner)

I guess their target audience is Houston and Atlanta.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Return to “Training ”