Where's your running log?

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Where's your running log?

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:45 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:
ian wrote:Since 1998, I've recorded runs on looseleaf: 15 sheets and counting. Each run gets a line (15 sheets times 2 sides times about 33 lines per side equals about 1000 runs and too much of a PITA to switch to electronic format) indicating the date, the distance (along with various codes for common routes), time, time of day, weather, and a brief comment. I also have a summary sheet for monthly and yearly mileage totals.

Sounds exactly like my log..I use a spiral notebook noting the route I took, distance run, time, temps that day and how I felt after the run...the only thing is that since I haven't really been training for anything lately I've let it slide a bit and haven't logged much since the spring...:oops:

Ian...you sound like my friend Mike who does IM as an Elite...he logs on paper...absolutely every workout...and has been doing that since 1995 :shock:

Even though he's tech savvy he seems to like his paper logs. :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Garrett
Tom Longboat

Postby Garrett » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:09 pm

ItsMyRun.com

Can't say enough good things about that site.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Itsmyrun :D and the yearly paper book you get free from Runner's World with each subscription.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

tracy
Percy Williams

Postby tracy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:15 pm

I use buckeyeoutdoors.com - like that i can upload garmin from sporttracks and track any type of workout as well as my nutrition etc

Plus I print out each month and stick it on the fridge, I love having it there to see every morning - know what i have going on for the day and ticking it off when its done.

Im still such a paper girl, love to have the paper log, keep a paper journal/calendar for work, read books (not e-books), read the newspaper
Planned:
ATB - 2010
Ottawa Marathon 2010

PB's:
Marathon (3) - 4:16
30k (2) - 2:43
1/2 Mary (2) - 1:49
10k (1) - 50:50
8k (2) - 40:58

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:18 pm

I use the Nike+ system so I upload my runs to Nike+ (Nikeplus.com). I also sync the Nike+ results to the Dailymile (Dailymile.com) and Runner+ (runnerplus.com).

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Darth Tater wrote:I also use ItsMyRun. And RM. :D

me too.

I think I'll link my itsmyrun log to my profile signature, as Kristen did.

+1, except I don't know how to do that. :oops:

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:34 pm

itsmyrun.com is my final vote...

I just did the unthinkable and re-installed training center just to upload the data and it works like a charm... won't use it on my computer for anything other than getting it into itsmyrun.

Robbie, you da' man.
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:34 pm

I love itsmyrun- as soon as I'm healthy and un-injured enough to justify calling it a training log, I'll put a link on my profile. This month, though, has been pretty lame.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Lazagna wrote:itsmyrun.com is my final vote...

I just did the unthinkable and re-installed training center just to upload the data and it works like a charm... won't use it on my computer for anything other than getting it into itsmyrun.

Robbie, you da' man.

Peer pressure? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Lazagna wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I use Garmin Connect, and it solves both problems.

You uplaod to Garmin Connect, then use that to upload to itsmyrun?

Yes-- and I think it's better than Sportracks for the maps, etc. You don't need put anything on GTC.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:44 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
NewFinnLoper wrote:
ian wrote:Since 1998, I've recorded runs on looseleaf: 15 sheets and counting. Each run gets a line (15 sheets times 2 sides times about 33 lines per side equals about 1000 runs and too much of a PITA to switch to electronic format) indicating the date, the distance (along with various codes for common routes), time, time of day, weather, and a brief comment. I also have a summary sheet for monthly and yearly mileage totals.

Sounds exactly like my log..I use a spiral notebook noting the route I took, distance run, time, temps that day and how I felt after the run...the only thing is that since I haven't really been training for anything lately I've let it slide a bit and haven't logged much since the spring...:oops:

Ian...you sound like my friend Mike who does IM as an Elite...he logs on paper...absolutely every workout...and has been doing that since 1995 :shock:

Even though he's tech savvy he seems to like his paper logs. :D

I have a friend who does that too.

If I tried to do a paper log, it just wouldn't happen. On the computer it might not be as detailed, but I get it done.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

runshorts
Johnny Miles

Postby runshorts » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:36 pm

I am lazy and old school. Lazy because I just started keeping a log in 2009. Old school because I use a paper log - a friend gave me a runner's log last Christmas and to my complete surprise I've kept it up. My log consistents of the date and distance/run type. Not pace or weather or shoes or anything else that might be useful. I am shocked at my lack of obsessiveness in this regard. Oh, I also have a Garmin from which I rarely download data and therefore peiodically lose all my workouts when it has a temper tantrum. I use excel to plan my workouts at the start of a training cycle. I rarely stick to the plan.

I think I'm more Zen than I think I am.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:51 pm

I've sometimes tried keeping a log in case anyone may be interested in what I may be doing but quickly lose interest. Usually when a setback results in a string of depressing blanks.
I figure I don't follow a set schedule and once I'm done a run it's water under the bridge. Writing it down doesn't give me any bonuses.
Whatever is there on race day is in the body, not on paper or anywhere else.
You can go into a race with a whole bunch of hard data to prove what you've done and bomb or you can go in with only a rough idea of whether you've done enough and run well above what you may be capable of on paper.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:19 pm

I used Sportracks, uploading the Garmin with a google doc spreadsheet for my training plan. I tried the Garmin upload center, don't really like it.

Kristen's signature line reminded me I had a itsmyrun.com account. Got back on it and like it. Thanks Kristen.
Last edited by mcshame on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:26 pm

I use runningahead.com. I started there before I saw itsmyrun, and I think a few other RMers use runningahead. I like the graphical features and Garmin upload is very straightforward. Runningahead also has an active users forum, which I mostly ignore unless one of the recent thread titles catches my attention. I also keep a list of races on itsmyrun.

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:32 pm

-
Last edited by Kristen on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Pat Menzies wrote: You can go into a race with a whole bunch of hard data to prove what you've done and bomb or you can go in with only a rough idea of whether you've done enough and run well above what you may be capable of on paper.

It's still sometimes useful to go back over the weeks/months leading up to a good or bad race. It might not be as obvious looking back without seeing some of it spelled out on paper.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:57 pm

Another vote for old school paper here. I've used the little spiral notebook training logs (that are made for the purpose), and they're ok, but I really like my current log. DH gave me a little black calendar notebook, and I just write in on each day what I did. I rarely look back at them - I think I just like the satisfaction of "completing" a run by writing it down, which I do as soon as I walk through the door.

I'm trying out a journal on RM, but I'm just updating that once a week.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:52 am

I have been using SportTracks for three years and I love it. I have played with a number of on line methods but I haven't found any that provide the level of detail that ST does. I have over a dozen plug-ins installed in ST and I find a get some great logging and analytics from it.
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:30 am

b_squared wrote:I use runningahead.com. I started there before I saw itsmyrun, and I think a few other RMers use runningahead. I like the graphical features and Garmin upload is very straightforward. Runningahead also has an active users forum, which I mostly ignore unless one of the recent thread titles catches my attention. I also keep a list of races on itsmyrun.

I use runningahead.com as well - I've logged every single workout I've done since I re-started running in 2006. I love being able to go back and look through it all!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

juniperjen
Johnny Miles

Postby juniperjen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:48 am

Irongirl wrote:I used beginnertriathlete.com

this year, I took a break from tracking my training though. It was a refreshing break.

The only thing that sucks about taking the break is that I haven't tracked my shoes, and, I'm always wondering if it's time for new ones!

Use beginnertriathlete.com. I love the logs there. Started using them late last year after religiously keeping them on the running room site.

I love seeing the little graph on the left hand ... very addicting as it is also a blog.
Plan For 2010:
ATB 30K:
Mercedes-Benz 10k
Vicoria's Du
Guelph Lake Sprint Tri
Toronto Island Sprint Tri
An Oly or HIM - TBD- Sept

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:28 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
b_squared wrote:I use runningahead.com. I started there before I saw itsmyrun, and I think a few other RMers use runningahead. I like the graphical features and Garmin upload is very straightforward. Runningahead also has an active users forum, which I mostly ignore unless one of the recent thread titles catches my attention. I also keep a list of races on itsmyrun.

I use runningahead.com as well - I've logged every single workout I've done since I re-started running in 2006. I love being able to go back and look through it all!

Another vote for runningahead.com - I have been using it for almost two years.

I like that I can download my log in to excel format and sent it to my traithlon coach. It just seemed to be the one log that did everything that I wanted and was the easiest for me.

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Count me as another vote for itsmyrun.com which I found when I started reading this forum.

When I started running I used to track distance along with my weight workouts in gyminee.com but it only tracks kms, not pace, location or any race information.

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:45 pm

I also use itsmyrun, great for tracking my own training and for watching others. :shifty:

But, I'm thinking of switching to doonst.com; it looks even better! :lol:

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:41 pm

uRun2 wrote:I also use itsmyrun, great for tracking my own training and for watching others. :shifty:

But, I'm thinking of switching to doonst.com; it looks even better! :lol:

Tell your friends!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Return to “Training ”