New Pain Research

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

New Pain Research

Postby fe.RMT » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:17 pm

some new Canadian based pain research with some implications for cautious rest when injured:

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/why-doe ... o-much.php

"One minor practical implication of the study is that it punctuates the importance of resting injuries and avoiding re-injury (see The Art of Rest). If neutrophil over-reactions drive a vicious cycle of inflammation, than it is clearly wise to be quite cautious not to damage any cells in a troubled area, or, worse, re-injure already-damaged cells. This made all kinds of sense before, but it makes even more sense when you know that a spike in inflammation while healing from a (closed) injury is not actually a functional, helpful process in any way — not a healthy, natural part of healing, as inflammation is often given credit for — but actually a destructive annoyance that significantly postpones full recovery without any compensatory benefits. Thorough and genuine resting has always been an underrated strategy for chronic, slow-healing injuries, and now we have a powerful reason to take it seriously. Avoiding mobilizing your neutrophils!"
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

New Pain Research

Postby Jwolf » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Very interesting- thanks for that.

Also a good explanation for the need to ice and otherwise bring down the inflammation response. Some people worry about masking pain or think that the inflammation is productive in the healing process. But really it seems that inflammation has no protective or positive effect at all on internal injuries.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Re: New Pain Research

Postby दिवंगत » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:53 pm

Yes, very interesting.

I'm not in any way educated in the subject so this is an off-the-top-of-my-head question; does this have any bearing on how, why or whether ART works?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:05 pm

140.6 wrote:I'm not in any way educated in the subject so this is an off-the-top-of-my-head question; does this have any bearing on how, why or whether ART works?

I don't think so (Terri can correct me if I'm wrong), because the idea behind ART is to break down adhesions and scarred tissue-- nothing to do with the more acute neutrophils (or "inflammation response").

But... aggressive ART can CAUSE an inflammation response, so it's important to attend to this so as to not restart the cycle.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14 pm

I know all the ART practitioners I have gone to refuse to work on an injury that is still in its acute traumatic stage.....aka, while it's still in the inflammation response. While ART can produce surface bruising and mild discomfort, if it inflames the injury to inflammation I suspect that means the ART was either done far too soon (so, the injury is still 'acute') , or far too aggressively.

For myself, this underscores something - if it hurts and something is injured enough to have an inflammation response - sit on y'er keister till it's better! :roll:
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

New Pain Research

Postby Jwolf » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:54 pm

PinkLady wrote:For myself, this underscores something - if it hurts and something is injured enough to have an inflammation response - sit on y'er keister till it's better! :roll:

Don't just sit there; Ice, ice baby...

On a more serious note I suspect this is how I majorly f$&d up my foot last year. I had some aggressive ART which did more harm than good.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:04 am

Wonder if that's why my knee is still so f'd up? I've never really stayed off of it... :?
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:16 am

I recall a study which showed that anti-inflammatory drugs taken two weeks before a marathon helped speed up the healing process afterwards.
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:09 pm

Jwolf wrote:
140.6 wrote:I'm not in any way educated in the subject so this is an off-the-top-of-my-head question; does this have any bearing on how, why or whether ART works?

I don't think so (Terri can correct me if I'm wrong), because the idea behind ART is to break down adhesions and scarred tissue-- nothing to do with the more acute neutrophils (or "inflammation response").

But... aggressive ART can CAUSE an inflammation response, so it's important to attend to this so as to not restart the cycle.

There are (agressive) techniques used in massage that have a side effect of creating small scale inflammation, however the larger 'good' of freeing the adhesion or realigning the scar tissue (scar tissue can't be eliminated) is worth the short term and VERY local inflammatory response. I can't speak for ART (at least not until after March) but the techniques (based on what I have had done) are very similar to that type of massage. This is part of what informed consent is about - "There is a chance that this will temporarily cause inflammation, but the result will be better mobility etc. Do you understand that? Do you have any questions about that? Are you OK to proceed?" Allowing your client to do a kind of cost/benefit analysis.

This type of massage is only done on chronic injury sites and is contraidicated in the presence of inflammation, acute/sub acute injuries. There is also a protocol to be followed with that type of massage - heat, general massage work, the deeper frictioning work, stretch, then apply ice. The ice (used for less than 3 minutes and applied very locally via ice cube massage) is to help scale down the inflammatory response. A similar protocol has never been followed by any ART provider I have seen.

2013:

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:13 pm

fe.sweetpea wrote:There is also a protocol to be followed with that type of massage - heat, general massage work, the deeper frictioning work, stretch, then apply ice. The ice (used for less than 3 minutes and applied very locally via ice cube massage) is to help scale down the inflammatory response. A similar protocol has never been followed by any ART provider I have seen.

No, I've often been told to ice the area when I get home... but I didn't realize how important this was to the healing process.

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:17 pm

Jwolf wrote:
fe.sweetpea wrote:There is also a protocol to be followed with that type of massage - heat, general massage work, the deeper frictioning work, stretch, then apply ice. The ice (used for less than 3 minutes and applied very locally via ice cube massage) is to help scale down the inflammatory response. A similar protocol has never been followed by any ART provider I have seen.

No, I've often been told to ice the area when I get home... but I didn't realize how important this was to the healing process.

It isn't a type of massage that is done often... it has a very specific purpose and is only useful on discrete areas of scar tissue because the movement involved is quite small and it would take a long time to cover a larger area. Also, most clients won't tolerate the work for more than 5 minutes or so. To 'break' tissue creates an inflammatory response. It's inevitable... even if it is fibrous scar tissue.

2013:

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:19 pm

ART: in war zones these techniques are called torture. :D But the end result is so worth it.

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Back when I had my hip injury a few years ago (which lasted for months), I received very aggressive ART. It left me with a lot of bruising and very sore, it also did not work well, as the hip pain was still there weeks later. ART had worked miracles on my IT Band, but not so much for my hip When I finally got in to see an Orthopeadic surgeon, it was her opinion that the aggressive treatment probably prolonged the inflammation in the area and that's the reason it was taking so long to heal. So I basically stopped all treatment, took a prolonged break from running, but kept stretching and icing the area. I still think ART can be a very useful treatment, but I believe inflammation in the injured area should be reduced first. Someone mentioned anti-inflammatory drugs before a marathon may help with recovery. I never thought about this until now, but I was taking them for a few weeks before my recent 1/2 marathon for tennis elbow. My recovery following my 1/2 was great and I had hardliy any soreness or stiffness following my race. I chalked this up to better training, but now I'm wondering if they may have helped.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Return to “Training ”