July goals

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

July goals

Postby babysteps » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:28 am

I don't see this month's goals yet so I'll start...

Run: 100km and/or 20 runs whichever is more
Swim: 12 swims no distance prescribed. The goal is to get back to the pool
Bike: 8 rides, again no set distance, just get back at it.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: July goals

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:35 am

Run: 150km
Bike and yoga: whatever I can swing
Via Ferrata on July 22 :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

July goals

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:39 am

Rehab the Achilles and hopefully be back to some running by the end of the month.

Otherwise continue cycling and add back some swimming if I can do it. Upper body strength and core workouts every 2-3 days. This will mean seeing a lot more of the inside of the gym.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:47 am

No specific training goals for the month, other than maintain consistency and continue to focus on the shorter stuff, with a number of races / events on the radar ...

NYC Marathon training cycle starts at the end of the month .. so, would like to continue to get in regular strength training in, as well as more consistency on the bike, if I am going to get in a couple of duathlons in this summer ... :shifty: :roll: :oops: :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:57 pm

- Another 100km, with my longest run being ~12k, and once a week runs with my 5 year old
- Strength workouts of varying lengths (15-45 mins) 5 days a week, particularly upper body & core stuff
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

Jump145
Bruce Kidd

Postby Jump145 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:58 pm

I'm gonna say 175k again, 5 days/week.

Also planning to run another 5k in a couple weeks.
No Penguins were harmed in the making of this post

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:12 pm

No number in terms of km, but consistent running even with some holidays (I tend to fall off the wagon when I'm on vacation!). 5-6 runs per week, plus adding in some doubles. One tempo run per week. Some biking. Finish July happy, healthy, and enjoying the summer weather.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Once I figured out how to read my training log - I determine that my goal for July is 215km :shock: :shock:
I sincerely hope I will also be able to take some flex time this month so I can sneak in a couple of bike rides and swims as well.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:55 pm

I would like to be around 300 km. Maybe get on my bike to scout out some new running routes.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:02 am

I have a race this month - July 22, Toronto Triathlon Festival Olympic - and I am grossly under-trained, especially for the swim (due to a sore arm). My bike fitness and run fitness are good, but I haven't done any good/long brick workouts this season. And my swimming? Well, let's just say it's not going to be pretty and I'm glad I'll be wearing a wetsuit! :o

Goal: Finish the race in about 3 hours. If I'd been trained, I'd have said sub-3, but I don't think I have the tri-specific fitness to do sub-3.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:01 pm

I'm not going to list any goals here. Every time I make a monthly goal, it seems I end up injured.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Jump145
Bruce Kidd

Postby Jump145 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Jump145 wrote:I'm gonna say 175k again, 5 days/week.

Also planning to run another 5k in a couple weeks.

I'm not running tomorrow, so total for the month is 21 runs, 180k.

Only 1 week where I didn't run 5 days.
No Penguins were harmed in the making of this post

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:52 am

La wrote:I have a race this month - July 22, Toronto Triathlon Festival Olympic - and I am grossly under-trained, especially for the swim (due to a sore arm). My bike fitness and run fitness are good, but I haven't done any good/long brick workouts this season. And my swimming? Well, let's just say it's not going to be pretty and I'm glad I'll be wearing a wetsuit! :o

Goal: Finish the race in about 3 hours. If I'd been trained, I'd have said sub-3, but I don't think I have the tri-specific fitness to do sub-3.

I ended up with a pretty decent month of training, and my arm healed up enough that it was a non-issue on the swim. So, a good swim and a strong bike set me up for an as-exptected performance on the run. In the end, a 2:55 race, for which I am VERY happy. I'll call July a success! :D
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:58 am

Started my training cycle in July. I'm trying a Hanson's plan this time, which starts up with pretty low mileage. Ended the month with 248km.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:22 am

Ended up with 320 km in July despite a little set-back with shin splints early in the month.... continuing to build up the mileage nicely.....
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:45 am

Ended up quietly clocking 401K in July! :shock: :shock: And I'm still in one piece! I'll take it. August will be a bit less ambitious, as I have a number of events that will preclude me from putting up this kind of milage again, but July was a great base build month!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

July goals

Postby marymac442 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:51 am

marymac442 wrote:Once I figured out how to read my training log - I determine that my goal for July is 215km :shock: :shock:
I sincerely hope I will also be able to take some flex time this month so I can sneak in a couple of bike rides and swims as well.

I'm planning 6km tonight so will end up with 157k and one bike ride. Didn't do any of my scheduled hill workouts as I was babying my Achilles but managed 4 runs most weeks so I'm happy with that. Big mileage long runs start in August
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:59 am

Jwolf wrote:Rehab the Achilles and hopefully be back to some running by the end of the month.

Otherwise continue cycling and add back some swimming if I can do it. Upper body strength and core workouts every 2-3 days. This will mean seeing a lot more of the inside of the gym.

Overall it's been a great rehab month. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I have been doing some running, starting around the beginning of July very gradually with run/walk, and I'll be up to five days this week. So that's been a success! I've also done lots on the stationary bike and USUALLY two strength workouts per week, although only got in one last week. I haven't been back to the pool though.

I've also committed myself to trying a tri in the spring. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:07 pm

Avis wrote:I'm not going to list any goals here. Every time I make a monthly goal, it seems I end up injured.

See, I didn't post any goals, and my injury is almost all better!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:26 pm

My goal was 400 K and the most miles on itsmyrun.com and still enjoy running at the end of July. Things went so well that I changed that goal to 500 K and still be able to run. 516.8 K with today 4 K warm up, 2 X 3 miles at under marathon pace and 1 K cool down.

Looking forward an an easy sea level run in Vancouver tomorrow and then sneak another one in on Thursday morning before two days of golf in Whistler. The guy I will be running with is talking about running at altitude in Whistler but Whistler village is 675 m or 2,214 feet above sea level and Calgary is 1,043 meters or 3,422 above sea level so interested to see how that feels.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:18 pm

ultraslacker wrote:Run: 150km
Bike and yoga: whatever I can swing
Via Ferrata on July 22 :)

ended up with 79.1 miles, which is 127.3km. Short of goal, but my highest month so far this year, so I am happy with that.

managed several mtb excursions, no yoga, and the via ferrata was awesome. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:33 pm

HCcD wrote:No specific training goals for the month, other than maintain consistency and continue to focus on the shorter stuff, with a number of races / events on the radar ...

NYC Marathon training cycle starts at the end of the month .. so, would like to continue to get in regular strength training in, as well as more consistency on the bike, if I am going to get in a couple of duathlons in this summer ... :shifty: :roll: :oops: :oops:

I was able to get in 31x runs this month for 294.5K for about 28h30m of running time .... so, quite happy about that ... :P

Cycling, on the other hand, started off well with 3x in the first week, then nada for the rest of the month, for various reasons ... :shifty: :( :oops: :oops: Though, was able to get in 14x strength workout sessions in ... :dance: :dance:

YTD: 174x runs / 2,072K / 195:18:xx :P

Such the case, I have decided to take the year off from racing Duathlons this year, as a result of not being able to get on the bike this summer ... Hard to justify paying $80+ for a race to just du it as a training effort, with both NYC and Goofy race weekend over the next 5 months on my agenda ... Will try to get back on the bike again in August for crosstraining, though feel that the time and energy spent in the Club for strength training may be more beneficial to my Fall/Winter race season ???? :what:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:24 pm

255 km for me in July. August and September will be bigger months as I ramp up my training for toronto waterfront.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:34 pm

Less running and swimming than I hoped for but quite a bit more cycling so I'll call it even for the month.

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:28 pm

RobW wrote:I would like to be around 300 km. Maybe get on my bike to scout out some new running routes.

I managed 300.5 km for the month. The middle of the month felt really tough with dead legs, a sore foot and just feeling worn out so I wasn't sure if I could go through another marathon training cycle. I did a lot of icing which helped but I need to do more stretching. Still feeling tired all the time but the legs and foot are feeling so much better now.

I only got on my bike once for 12k and got a sore neck for it. Probably too much, too soon. :wink:

Return to “Training ”