Lets talk rest

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Lets talk rest

Postby runJrun » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:06 pm

When it comes to rest days what do you do? As a rule of thumb I usually incorporate one rest day a week from my training. The day I take off is not always necessarily full rest, I still take the dogs out for their daily walk and this is also generally the day I do the majority of my housecleaning for the week. For the last 6 months I have been pretty consistent with my workouts clocking decent mileage on my runs and particularly on the bike with two strength sessions a week. I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that I am having restless sleep and therefore am feeling generally tired during the day. Today I feel dog tired and am tempted to take an extra day off and literally go home, put my pj's on, curl up with a book and do nothing. However I then have this nagging little voice in my head telling me to suck it up and get my run done regardless.

What do you guys do? I know that I don't train to be an elite athlete etc so an extra day off is not going to hurt, but the guilt type feeling is there for missing a planned workout. Some things I have read suggest that working out when you are genuinely tired can be detrimental. Other things advice to just get out there and get it done.

Discuss :)
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Lets talk rest

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:30 pm

I usually take one complete rest day/week, where I do nothing! And I mean nothing but go to work and walk the dog (he's little -so it's short and slow)

I have incorporated an optional rest day - where I either do easy cardio and some strength, recovery run or nothing. This is dictated by how I feel.

It's a fine line between sucking it up and listening to your body I find. This morning for example, I did not want to do my tempo run at all! I had run alot the previous 4 days and my legs were tired. Would it be better for me to rest? I kept thinking maybe, but I sucked it up and went. It was a really good one too, and I felt pretty good for the rest of the day, so I'm glad I sucked it up. Those are often the best workouts!

I guess what you have to watch for is when it's possible to be on that 'cusp' of injury - as opposed to just being tired and having sore muscles.

If I do miss a workout due to illness or 'life' stuff - I just try to build a bridge and get over it. Move on, as they say.

I find that regular scheduled rest helps a lot - rather than just resting when you feel you need it.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Lets talk rest

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:44 pm

I don't normally schedule rest days- they just find me. :) When I was just running I would normally take one, sometimes two days off per week after the hard or long workouts. But sometimes a very short easy run (like 20 min, 3k) was better than complete rest. When I started doing the multisport training and started increasing volume, I still didn't schedule rest days. Sometimes I will go two weeks without one, but in there will be at least one day with just a swim or easy spin.

As for taking a day off vs "sucking it up", I agree that you have to be good about reading your body's cues. Doing the workout when you really need the rest can be a recipe for injury as I've proven to myself a couple times. :( I've gotten better about it recently, though. Sometimes an easy day works, sometimes full rest.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:56 pm

I rest more than I run. :lol: But that's largely because I'm chronically sleep-deprived. You described days when you only want to put on your pyjamas and curl up at home... well, that's every day for me because I'm always tired. So my running is *in spite of* how I feel, and often how I feel wins. :/

My best training has been running 4-5 days per week, and taking extra rest days when I need them... I don't feel guilty about it unless I'm missing key long runs.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:58 pm

runJrun wrote: I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that I am having restless sleep and therefore am feeling generally tired during the day. Today I feel dog tired

jeez curl up and read a book! When was the last time you skipped a workout? don't feel guilty; enjoy it - you'll be back at it tomorrow - I know you will.

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Good advice everyone :) Just like everyone sometimes I am often tired but go ahead and train because I know that I am not that tired, usually it is more mentally tired than physical. Sometimes though the physical can definitely catch up. Today I don't think it helps that it is pouring rain either - and the track at the gym is shut for maintenance. All signs to dig into my book :)
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!

- Sasha Azevedo

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 pm

runJrun wrote:Good advice everyone :) Just like everyone sometimes I am often tired but go ahead and train because I know that I am not that tired, usually it is more mentally tired than physical. Sometimes though the physical can definitely catch up. Today I don't think it helps that it is pouring rain either - and the track at the gym is shut for maintenance. All signs to dig into my book :)

I vote for the book! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:05 pm

I should have had some smiley faces in there - that sounded harsher than I meant! :lol:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Lets talk rest

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Samantha wrote:
runJrun wrote: I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that I am having restless sleep and therefore am feeling generally tired during the day. Today I feel dog tired

jeez curl up and read a book! When was the last time you skipped a workout? don't feel guilty; enjoy it - you'll be back at it tomorrow - I know you will.

Yes I agree that these are signs you might be overdoing it a bit. Take care of yourself Joc!

I felt this way a few times last month and it was clear when I looked back that I was trying to do too much. I also need to be better about that sometimes.

I guess because I don't have a schedule that I follow I don't feel guilty about missing a "scheduled" workout. I just rearrange things as needed.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Samantha wrote:I should have had some smiley faces in there - that sounded harsher than I meant! :lol:

:lol:
Jocelyn

- Sasha Azevedo

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Are you resting? You better be resting! :naughty:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Lets talk rest

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Samantha wrote:Are you resting? You better be resting! :naughty:

According to the daily thread, yes she is. :)

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:02 pm

long day at work. I'm having a "free" evening. I'll only do Dr Hot Dustin's left foot exercises.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Jwolf wrote:

yeah I texted her!

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Samantha wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

yeah I texted her!

You guys are awesome! Enjoying my day of nothing. Sitting here reading Ironman race reports....
Jocelyn

- Sasha Azevedo

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:24 am

I definitely take rest days...two full days/week. I move them around though, and generally take them before and after my long run (so I take Friday and Sunday off). I also generally take a full week off....no running at all, during a training cycle (to go on vacation). I find that for me, the rest is often more important then the training. If I haven't gotten sufficient rest during the cycle, the race day performance reflects that.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:50 pm

As an injury-prone person, I need two full rest days a week. My physiotherapist also recommended I take one full week off running every eight weeks. I used to think I'd make more progress in running if I ran more and rested less. Then, one fine day, I realized that I make zero progress while I'm taking time off for an injury. Now I take my rest without guilt, and my running is remaining (knock on wood!) injury free.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:23 pm

runJrun wrote:Good advice everyone :) Just like everyone sometimes I am often tired but go ahead and train because I know that I am not that tired, usually it is more mentally tired than physical. Sometimes though the physical can definitely catch up. Today I don't think it helps that it is pouring rain either - and the track at the gym is shut for maintenance. All signs to dig into my book :)

Sometimes I find the mentally-tired worse than the physically-tired. If I am mentally tired or burned out, I will fight with myself for days before I finally just take a day, then voila! I feel better just like that, and it isn't a battle anymore.

Hope you had a great rest day! :D

EmilZatopek
Johnny Miles

Postby EmilZatopek » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:59 am

Personally, a rest day for me is just as important as my intervals, or my longer endurance runs, or even hill repeats. To me quality of training is more important than quantity. A rest day is important to me because allows me to recovery from hard training. When I study my training journal my best runs (not only time/distance wise, but overall feeling) mostly follow a day off from running. I have 1 or 2 rest days a week, on those days I just try to get some stretching done.
If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not you'll find an excuse.

5k - 18:40
10 - 39:02
Half - 1:29:11

Return to “Training ”