1/2 Training Plan Question . . .

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm just getting ready to start training for the 1/2 in Ottawa this Spring and I'm trying to put together a training plan (did one last year and found that it kept me focused quite well). I had a look at the Hal Higdon intermediate plan and I think I could comfortably manage it:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51132 ... ng-Program

My one observation is that weeks 1-4 of this plan result in a lower cumulative monthly mileage than what I've been doing for the past few months, with weeks 5-8 being a bit of a cumulative bump and then 9-12 being a bit of a bump up again (which I like). Any issues with just going with it and taking weeks 1-4 as a bit of a cut back from what I'm currently doing in order to accumulate some "rest" before ramping up into weeks 5-12? I would plan on finishing up January and February with my current monthly mileage targets before starting the 12 week plan in early March.

My primary goal is to improve on my 2:20 time from last year and I think this plan will help me get there as it does have a fairly noticeable mileage bump over what I did last year in preparing for the race, with all of that coming in weeks 5-12. I also plan on spending much more time training on the trails around here than I did last year and I think that will only help with my conditioning.

Am I overthinking this? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi-
You really could go either way- you could keep up the weekly routine you have and wait till the mileage of the plan catches up to yours, or you could cut back and then rebuild. Or possibly something in between.
Personally I think you will be benefit more from the cumulative consistent mileage (i.e., not cutting back), rather than the "rest" you will get from cutting back. Unless you have just come off a peak from a longer goal race like a marathon, this "rest" will really just mean some fitness loss.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Re: 1/2 Training Plan Question . . .

Postby jgore » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:47 pm

That looks like a 'To Complete' plan because you never actually run half-marathon distance until race day. Why not follow the schedule, but if your long runs are already longer than what is on the schedule, keep them longer throughout. That way you'll have run farther than 21.1K before race day, possibly on weeks 8 & 10, and maybe week 9 if you don't do a 15K race that week. The half-marathon distance won't be at the limit of your endurance and you can race it rather than just trying to get to the finish-line.

NMG
Bill Crothers

Re: 1/2 Training Plan Question . . .

Postby NMG » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:41 pm

Thanks for having a look!

Jwolf, I was sort of fearing that there would be a bit of a fitness loss, so I do like that suggestion of keeping things constant until my current mileage aligns with the plan and then having the plan take over so to speak.

jgore, I also appreciate your observation about the long runs. While right now they don't hit 20K, they are certainly longer than what's called for the in first 1/3rd of the plan and more in line with what is in the middle 1/3rd. Based on my experience from last year, I can foresee a huge benefit with having them remain where they are right now earlier in the plan and then gradually increasing them so that I peak with some runs in the low 20's towards the end of the plan.

So with all of that, I'm going to take your suggestions and re-work things a bit to be more reflective of where I am now and where I'd like to end up.

Thanks for having a look!

Return to “Training ”