First Marathon - Oct 19th Toronto Waterfront

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

vman

First Marathon - Oct 19th Toronto Waterfront

Postby vman » Sun May 25, 2014 11:07 am

I signed up for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon (Full distance) and I'm doing it in memory of a loved one and to lose weight.

I've never been a runner, and I think the longest distance I've run without stopping is 2 km (last weekend!!!). I'm 28 years old, 5' 11", 225 lbs.

My questions:
1. Is it doable? (I have 5 months to train)
2. Recommendations on training plans.

Thanks,
V

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Re: First Marathon - Oct 19th Toronto Waterfront

Postby MichaelMc » Sun May 25, 2014 8:08 pm

vman wrote:I signed up for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon (Full distance) and I'm doing it in memory of a loved one and to lose weight.

I've never been a runner, and I think the longest distance I've run without stopping is 2 km (last weekend!!!). I'm 28 years old, 5' 11", 225 lbs.

My questions:
1. Is it doable? (I have 5 months to train)
2. Recommendations on training plans.

Thanks,
V

Yes it is possible.

The key isn't "how fit can I get", but "how do I stay healthy while increasing my training". You could probably WALK 42.2km next week if you really HAD to, so all the training isn't to allow you to finish, it is to allow you to finish with less suffering and within the allowable time.

Start now gradually increasing your weekly mileage, almost all of it at a very comfortable pace: one where you can chat while running. 5-7% mileage increase per week on average. Find some people you enjoy running with who run at similar pace, but don't get pulled faster or into increasing distance too quickly. If you get the twinges of an injury, take it seriously and take care of it but stay active.

If you do that for five months while eating sensibly, you'll be able to complete your marathon.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon May 26, 2014 7:42 am

1. Yes, but it's an ambitious goal. As Michael says, the key will be to stay healthy during the upcoming five months. Build slowly and gradually.
2. You could check out programs on-line by Jeff Galloway (he uses a run/walk approach) or Hal Higdon (beginner's program). Or, you could join a clinic at your local Running Room. The marathon clinic won't start for a while and they want you to have a base of 12-15K to start, but you might be able to connect with a 10K clinic. Every store has different start dates for their clinics, so check them out on-line.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue May 27, 2014 4:42 pm

Welcome to Running Mania! The advice above is good. I would only emphasize that you will really need to listen to your body. I have been running for 4.5 years and am nowhere near running a marathon. The 5% increase in distance per week--that's 'way too much for me, I end up injured with those kinds of increases. However, you may be more injury resistant than I; most people seem to be. In any case, as mentioned above, you can walk the marathon, if need be.

Have fun with running--you're in for a challenge and an adventure!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue May 27, 2014 5:34 pm

First, welcome to RM!

La wrote:1. Yes, but it's an ambitious goal. As Michael says, the key will be to stay healthy during the upcoming five months. Build slowly and gradually.
2. You could check out programs on-line by Jeff Galloway (he uses a run/walk approach) or Hal Higdon (beginner's program). Or, you could join a clinic at your local Running Room. The marathon clinic won't start for a while and they want you to have a base of 12-15K to start, but you might be able to connect with a 10K clinic. Every store has different start dates for their clinics, so check them out on-line.

This! On both parts!

If it will help, message me and I can try to dig out a training schedule that will help you to build slowly with the intention to cross the finish line healthy, uninjured and most of all with a smile on your face. It is based on a Team in Training schedule, basically like the Running Room but usually spread-out over 20-24 weeks. It does assume some base (6-10K), but you can build towards that. The key, like everyone else is saying, is slow progression. I would also add, listen to your body as it will guide you.

Good luck and have fun!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Return to “Training ”