Getting back into running...

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Hotwire

Getting back into running...

Postby Hotwire » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:55 pm

I'm a soldier. And due to various reasons I have not routinely ran for about 6 years. Now that I'm cleared to hit the trails, and also have the time.. Iv started running 5km at a time. We'll... More a .5km warm up with a 1.5km run and a 3 km cool down.

Here is why I'm here. In my previous running I would get "shin splints" later in the run, in the 4 to 6km area. I was routinely running 8 to 10 km runs 3 times a week. Now, I'm getting them before I'm .5km into my run. And they last for the duration of the run.

My feet go limp, my calves and shins are tight, and I was getting a slight numbness in my feet on the first 3 runs. But after changing how i tie my shoes I don't get the tingling any more. This perplexes me, and I would like to remedy this ASAP.

I'm 40lbs overweight and its screaming to leave me. Please help!!

CAW
Lynn Williams

Re: Getting back into running...

Postby CAW » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:12 pm

Welcome!

There are a few military types here. I'm a 9erD so I know all too well the toll Op Tempo can have on consistent running. It is my hubby's biggest complaints.

What you describe is similar to what happens to me when I run in the wrong shoes. I highly recommend going to a running store to get properly fitted according to your stride if you haven't already.

Let us know where you are at, there are plenty if folks here who can steer you to a good store.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Hotwire

Postby Hotwire » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm on course in Gagetown for the next few weeks. There is a running room in Fredericton. I'm going to check them out tomorrow. You may absolutely right!

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:54 am

Hotwire wrote:I'm on course in Gagetown for the next few weeks. There is a running room in Fredericton. I'm going to check them out tomorrow. You may absolutely right!

Freddy RunningRoom is good, they are the ones that fitted me for my first pair 9 years ago. (Gosh, it's been that long!?!?)

Good luck on course. I have several friends there on course (from Shilo) for the next month or so as well.

The blue trail that starts by the obstacle course is my favourite running trail with a challenging hill or two. I miss that trail immensely, and it will always have a special spot in my heart because my first real 'run' was on that trail.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:13 am

Welcome!

Another military type here (Log O). I am off to Borden (shudder) on course next month.

I agree about getting fitted for the correct shoe. If that doesn't help, make sure that once you are warmed up, stop and stretch out you calves/shins and then try running again. I tend to get this sometimes as well, especially if I have taken a break from running.

Also, try to mix up some lower impact cardio (bike/swim, whatever) while you are getting back to it, in order to still get the cardio but to give you legs a break from the pounding.

Have fun on course :)

Hotwire

Postby Hotwire » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:52 am

Im a 421 Sgt. :)

Looking forward to getting into more running, iv gotta loose 40lbs to be back down to my 135 lbs. Iv started some cardio, and core TRG to start with.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:39 am

Hotwire wrote:Im a 421 Sgt. :)

Looking forward to getting into more running, iv gotta loose 40lbs to be back down to my 135 lbs. Iv started some cardio, and core TRG to start with.

My husband was a 421 (retired long ago)! Small world.

I was a WO RMS Clk and took my commission in May, very weird feeling to be called Ma'am :lol:

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:22 am

Welcome to RM! I'm not in the military, but just wanted to make a quick suggestion re: shin splints. In addition to the previous suggestions, try to see if you can run on trails or other softer surfaces, rather than concrete or asphalt. I find that really makes a difference for me and my various owies. Good luck!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:23 am

Shin splints are basically caused when the small muscles on the front of your shin (tibialis anterior) take too much of a beating. This is common in new runners because those muscles work MUCH harder during running than when you are walking. When you run you leave the ground, and during the landing the tibialis have to "slow down" your landing and also deal with any twisting motion in your body.

Soft surfaces can help as can good running shoes, but slowing down your paces and the rate of increase in your weekly mileage might be more critical. Give your body time to adjust to your activity level.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:41 pm

It's much more likely to be compartment syndrome with those symptoms.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Return to “Training ”