Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Re: Virtual Workout--THURSDAYS....

Postby IronColl » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:13 am

La wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I will admit I sort of missed the point of the easy/hard alternation and was thinking more along the lines of actual speed intervals. I probably started a bit too fast-- that made the workout pretty tough with such short recovery, and I needed more recovery during the "easy" minutes. There was no way I could have kept easy-running or even jogging through those minutes and still been able to finish. Oh well-- it's done now!!

I read it the same way as you did. It was a bit of an experiment for me because I hadn't done intervals like that in a while with such little rest in between. As I said, I found the 3-min interval to be the hardest, since I was increasing the speed as the interval time was decreasing. If I were to do this workout again, I'd likely keep the interval paces the same throughout at about 7.2mph, which would have made the 3-2-1-2-3 intervals more manageable. The other x-factor (for me) was that I was sick, so I don't know if I bonked because of that, or because I chose the wrong starting pace. Probably a bit of both.

IC, even though I'd originally said I felt the workout had a good balance of detail/flexibility, in retrospect it might have been good to have some direction as to whether we should be increasing the pace as the intervals got shorter, or whether we should be keeping them the same. Those are two very different workouts (especially with such short rest in between).

It was an experiment.

I never said the 1 minute was rest. I said it was easy. What does that mean? Up to everyone to figure out. Easy enough that you should be able to run hard the next "interval". What's hard? Again up to everyone to figure out individually.

This workout isn't part of anyone's specific training plan, it isn't tailored to anyone's race goals or speed. It is tailored to my whimsy and most likely the mood I am in when I am creating my workouts for the week.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:23 am

There is no right or wrong way to do any of these workouts. Everyone is at a different place in their running, so if you want to increase/decrease/sprint/walk, it's totally up to the individual person. These are posted to give everyone different ways to pass the treadmill running boredom over the winter, and it's nice knowing others are sweating and working hard on the same day.

As we've said before, run at your own pace and use judgement as to what your body can handle.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:24 am

I like it because it gets me doing things I wouldn't have thought of. It definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone - but I feel great today. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:21 pm

We know many people are busy this week and we (Jenn, Colleen &I) did talk about not having a workout, but decided to post one and if people had a chance to do it, great.

Warmup of choice.

4x 1200m, 3 minutes between. The last 400m of EACH interval needs to be at a faster pace than the first 800m.

Cool down of choice.

MERRYCHRISTMAS

Next workout is the first one of the New Year!!

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Good workout. Looking forward to it. :)

If anyone is wondering- these should be about at 5k pace.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:55 am

interesting - I don't think I've ever done a 1200m repeat before! Not sure where I'll fit it in, but will do my best. Might end up being a shorter TM run with just 2 x 1200m if that's all I have time for, since I'll have both kids home mostly over the next couple of weeks.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:17 pm

This looks perfect for tomorrow!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:21 pm

I did mine today...sort of. I totally forgot about the fact that we were supposed to increase the pace for the last third, and couldn't remember the rest interval! I also thought we were supposed to do three, but decided to do a fourth because it felt short! My brain is clearly mush!

So, mine were 4 x 1200m with 300m recoveries at 5:10/5:00/4:50/4:40. Maybe one of these days I'll actually do the workout as prescribed!

I've got a sick kid at home plus baby (who only napped through warm-up and the first 1.5 intervals...) so I'll take it! :D
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:33 pm

Workout done! It was tough but in just the right way :).

It went like this:
1 mile wu @ 7mph
3 x 1200m @ 8.9 - 9mph w/ 400m rec @ 7mph
1 x 1600m @ 9 - 9.1 mph
1.2 mile cd @ 7mph for 6.2 miles in 47:14

I can measure time & distance but not together on the TM! Keeping the rec @ 400m made it easier for my head. They were about 2 minutes which wasn't quite enough but fine. The last interval was longer because I got distracted. I was at 4.8 miles when I refocused so figured I might as well run it out to an even 5.

Now time to eat, drink & be Merry :).
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Like alexk, I'd find it hard to convert between 0.75 mile and then do a 3-min recovery and do the math to keep track of each subsequent set, so I might modify it to be .75 mile hard run / .25 mile recovery. First thing tomorrow morning is likely the only time I'll have to do this workout (maybe Friday morning). I'll aim for tomorrow.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:19 pm

0.25 mile is a good substitute - and will make the math much easier on a treadmill in miles.

My plan is to do this one Friday. My gym isn't open on Thursday - and I'm going skiing anyway. :) Gym is open Friday.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:40 pm

La wrote:Like alexk, I'd find it hard to convert between 0.75 mile and then do a 3-min recovery and do the math to keep track of each subsequent set, so I might modify it to be .75 mile hard run / .25 mile recovery. First thing tomorrow morning is likely the only time I'll have to do this workout (maybe Friday morning). I'll aim for tomorrow.

I'll be running it with you, sort of. You're 2 hours ahead.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:15 pm

Habs4ever wrote:We know many people are busy this week and we (Jenn, Colleen &I) did talk about not having a workout, but decided to post one and if people had a chance to do it, great.

Warmup of choice.

4x 1200m, 3 minutes between. The last 400m of EACH interval needs to be at a faster pace than the first 800m.

Cool down of choice.

MERRYCHRISTMAS

Next workout is the first one of the New Year!!

Me likey the looks of this one.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:33 am

After a failed attempt last week (abandoned at 2k in because of coughing fits), I got this week's workout done this morning. Since I flamed out on the paces two weeks ago, and my cough is still nagging a bit, I was pretty conservative on the paces but it was still a good workout. I also went with the .25mi recoveries mentioned above.

5min w/u
4 x 1200 (800m @ 7.2, 400m @ 7.5)

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:50 am

OK! Done.

Interval 1 7.6-7.8 mph
Interval 2 same
Interval 3. Same, but more at 7.8
Interval 4 7.7-8.0

Rest was jog at 5.5 for .25. I also found that easier.

Total was 10k

Good workout!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Workout done for me this morning. I took is easier than I would normally be capable of because I am recovering from being sick as well as my body took a long time to recover from last weeks. I did the following:

The first 800m of all repeats were done as 400m @5:39, 400m @ 5:28
The last 400m of the repeats were done at these paces: 5:16, 5:10, 5:05 then 5:00

In between I walked for about 30 seconds then ran at 5:53 until the end of the 400m

Total was 8.4 km in 49 minutes flat.
Last edited by IronColl on Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
La wrote:Like alexk, I'd find it hard to convert between 0.75 mile and then do a 3-min recovery and do the math to keep track of each subsequent set, so I might modify it to be .75 mile hard run / .25 mile recovery. First thing tomorrow morning is likely the only time I'll have to do this workout (maybe Friday morning). I'll aim for tomorrow.

Done!

I got up at 7AM and was at the gym by 7:30.

I ran 1 mile at 6.0 as a warm-up, then:
3x: 0.63 @7.0mph, 0.12 @7.2mph.
My recoveries were done at 5.0mph

Total distance was 4.25 miles in 40 minutes.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:37 pm

I changed my mind and ended up doing it today too.

0.75 mile intervals with 0.25 mile recovery made the treadmill math very easy. :

I did a 1-mile warmup at 5.7 mph and then the intervals at 7.4-7.6 mph. The recoveries were my typical walk for a minute then jog, starting at 5.5 mph and working my way back up to the new speed in the last half minute. The 0.25 miles ended up taking me 3 minutes anyway.

These felt good and hard. I was pleased that overall I was faster than the 6 x 0.5 mile workout we did back in November (the week before this thread). (Eta: those were 7.3-7.5 mph)

I did a cooldown of about only about 6 min - total was 5.3 miles in 50 min.
Last edited by Jwolf on Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:56 pm

La wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:

Done!

I got up at 7AM and was at the gym by 7:30.

I ran 1 mile at 6.0 as a warm-up, then:
3x: 0.63 @7.0mph, 0.12 @7.2mph.
My recoveries were done at 5.0mph

Total distance was 4.25 miles in 40 minutes.

I bailed.....sorry La. You we done before I even got out of bed anyways. :lol:
Got in 2 intervals and just wasn't feeling it. I'll try again Friday.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:56 pm

Good job everyone!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Finally got the workout done today. I still wasn't feeling it, but got it done anyways.
1 mile warm up, then did the intervals at 7.8/8.0 mph. Total was 10k with cool down.
Last edited by Habs4ever on Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Nicely done Sue and everyone else!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:01 pm

Workout for Thursday Jan 1 (or thereabouts...):

This is a "mixed interval" workout.

Warm-up: 10-15 minutes easy

Workout:

10 min hard, 2 min active recovery
2 x 5 min hard, 3 min recovery
2 x 3 min hard, 2 min recovery

Cooldown: 5-10 min easy

Total with warmup and cooldown: 53-63 min

Paces should decrease (speeds increase) as you go to the shorter intervals, and should start at about 10k pace and progress to 5k pace then faster than 5k pace by the last set. (Paces given as a guideline; if you don't know your race paces you should now have a good idea of how hard you can do these intervals, given the amount of recovery. The 5-minute interval should be about as fast as what you did last week, the 10-minute slower, the 3-minute a bit faster. My "active recovery" will likely be easy jogging for first one, and then walk/jog for the last two sets.)

If you need a shorter workout, do only one repeat of the second and/or third sets.

Have fun. :)
Last edited by Jwolf on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:19 am

I missed this post on Sunday! Will do my best to fit it in.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:21 am

Jwolf wrote:Paces should increase as you go to the shorter intervals, and should start at about 10k pace and progress to 5k pace then faster than 5k pace by the last set. (Paces given as a guideline; if you don't know your race paces you should now have a good idea of how hard you can do these intervals, given the amount of recovery. The 5-minute interval should be about as fast as what you did last week, the 10-minute a bit slower, the 3-minute a bit faster. My "active recovery" will likely be easy jogging for first one, and then walk/jog for the last two sets.)

I'll have to play around with the pace in the first 10-min set. When I did last week's workout and did 0.75 mile @ 7-7.2mph I found that quite challenging and that interval only took me about 6.5 minutes, so I may have to dial back that first 10-min interval to 6.8mph.

Return to “Training ”