"Why Exercise is a Higher Priority than my Career"

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

"Why Exercise is a Higher Priority than my Career"

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:03 pm

http://time.com/3843445/exercising-high ... -business/

Perhaps another case of confirmation bias, but I totally agree with this sentiment.

"If exercise stops, then my health goes downhill. With the loss of physical health my productivity at work goes down. I become depressed. I lose motivation to do the things that makes my [work] successful."
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: "Why Exercise is a Higher Priority than my Career"

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:15 pm

"If exercise stops, then my health goes downhill. With the loss of physical health my productivity at work goes down. I become depressed. I lose motivation to do the things that makes my [work] successful

Completely true for me. My excuse is that I'm "really" old.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:13 pm

Jwolf wrote:Perhaps another case of confirmation bias, but I totally agree with this sentiment.

Actually, I see this particular article as a direct assertion of the author's values, rather than an attempt somehow to prove the superiority of those values objectively. In other words, "I exercise because I like the way that it makes me feel" is practically unassailable whereas "I exercise because it will make me live longer" is somewhat overreaching with regards to its validity as well as its implication that anyone else who thinks or acts differently is being foolish.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:21 pm

ian wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Perhaps another case of confirmation bias, but I totally agree with this sentiment.

Actually, I see this particular article as a direct assertion of the author's values, rather than an attempt somehow to prove the superiority of those values objectively. In other words, "I exercise because I like the way that it makes me feel" is practically unassailable whereas "I exercise because it will make me live longer" is somewhat overreaching with regards to its validity as well as its implication that anyone else who thinks or acts differently is being foolish.

So... What you're saying is that in this case confirmation bias doesn't really apply. :)

It's true that this is a very personal thing- for many people exercise is irrelevant to how successful they are at work. For me I know it makes a huge difference.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:33 pm

The author is in the financial position to potentially lose a client if he goes for a run. Not everyone has that luxury. Also if he is the head of the company, then he can delegate someone else to do the 90 other things that have to get done every day. I bet it took many years of not missing meetings and working long hours to make his company successful.

I can appreciate the sentiment.

ian wrote:Actually, I see this particular article as a direct assertion of the author's values, rather than an attempt somehow to prove the superiority of those values objectively. In other words, "I exercise because I like the way that it makes me feel" is practically unassailable whereas "I exercise because it will make me live longer" is somewhat overreaching with regards to its validity as well as its implication that anyone else who thinks or acts differently is being foolish.

Exactly.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:47 pm

IronColl wrote:I bet it took many years of not missing meetings and working long hours to make his company successful

He does say that at the beginning of his career he put his business before exercise and he came out ok-- but that he was one of the "lucky ones." I suspect he means that he saw people in similar positions whose health and relationships suffered because they did this, and he doesn't think it needs to be this way. Later in the article he says he wants to prevent that from happening to those in his business.

He is essentially saying he wants to take steps toward changing the work ethic culture to put exercise and health as a priority, because in the long run that's good for business.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:04 am

The problem with such absolute statements is that they can lead to exercise addiction and there can be some very serious health and other consequences. The reality for many people is that there times when work will be a priority and failing to make is such will not cost one a client but their job. If I have a race scheduled, I will attempt to have my work schedule accommodate that but there are going to be times when I have to suck it up and put work first.

I will get up early to go for a walk or run. Instead of "lunch" I will go for a bike ride. Tomorrow for example, late afternoon Thunderstorms means I will go for a 1:30 ride the middle of the mourning and put in the extra time later in the day. But on Friday, I have a meeting that means I may not get in a workout. My thought is that if missing that one work out is devastating to me, then working out has become an unhealthy addiction from at least a psychological perspective. I get how making sure to make time to exercise, when reasonable and possible, makes one feel better and help productivity but it still has to be done in a smart and mindful way in my opinion. And for me, I want to want to exercise not have to exercise as that make the activity more fun. Otherwise it becomes a mindless chore.

This is not to say I believe one can never push or challenge themselves. But I do believe one can be moderate in their excesses. I have a nice little break planned for October as all races and events will have concluded. It also coincides with a number of business meetings, some out of town.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:23 am

IronColl wrote:The author is in the financial position to potentially lose a client if he goes for a run. Not everyone has that luxury. Also if he is the head of the company, then he can delegate someone else to do the 90 other things that have to get done every day. I bet it took many years of not missing meetings and working long hours to make his company successful.

Yes, for exactly this reason.

The article was actual f***ing nonsense. The sadly typical sort of nonsense you read from people who have made it over the hump to the point where they don't have to worry about their income anymore and now think they're experts on saving everyone who's still at the sacrifice / striving part of their career.

Should have been titled "Now that I've made it, exercise can be a higher priority than my career"
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:16 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
IronColl wrote:The author is in the financial position to potentially lose a client if he goes for a run. Not everyone has that luxury. Also if he is the head of the company, then he can delegate someone else to do the 90 other things that have to get done every day. I bet it took many years of not missing meetings and working long hours to make his company successful.

The article was actual f***ing nonsense. The sadly typical sort of nonsense you read from people who have made it over the hump to the point where they don't have to worry about their income anymore and now think they're experts on saving everyone who's still at the sacrifice / striving part of their career.

Should have been titled "Now that I've made it, exercise can be a higher priority than my career"

I thought your assessment is a little harsh and then I reread the article. The following quotes would seem to suggest your analysis is correct:

I’ve seen entrepreneurs sacrifice all these things, sometimes with tragic consequences, to focus on making their businesses successful. I’ve also done it myself, although I’m one of the lucky ones. During the years I made my business my highest priority, my wife stuck by my side, I didn’t cause any permanent damage with friendships (although I certainly didn’t nurture any) and I didn’t die. It’s not greed that motivates us entrepreneurs. It would be difficult to justify the sacrifices we make if the only reward were money. Dollars become mere points in a sort of game. What it’s really about is building something great, doing something that matters and changing the world. That’s what makes it so easy to brush other things off. But it’s a mistake. I know that now, and that’s why today I care more about exercise than my business. But it’s not easy.

As you noted, the author put work as a high priority but according to him, not out of greed but to make the world a better place. And once he has built his great empire and can afford to lose clients, he then has taken the noble and courageous act of putting exercise first. I do wonder if you ever throws out a shoulder patting himself on the back for his 20/20 hindsight wisdom and because it was "not easy" to follow that wisdom.

It would have been a much better message if he would have said, make exercise as much as a priority as your circumstances allow.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:43 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

I thought the same thing when I was reading it... largely because I am still in the sacrifice and striving stages of my business. I've gained 20lb in the past 3 years. Sometimes that bothers me and other times I just accept it as part of how my life is right now... I can always get rid of it again later, when my business is running on its own and I have time and energy again to put exercise at/near the top of the priority list.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:20 am

We all struggle with finding balance. It's a mistake to think that we can achieve daily, weekly or even monthly balance with all the priorities in our lives. But if you look at your adult life as a whole, I think it's possible to work toward a balanced life. But that's over a long period of time. His life is likely "unbalanced" in favour of his exercise now (at the expense of his work life).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:23 am

ultraslacker wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

I thought the same thing when I was reading it... largely because I am still in the sacrifice and striving stages of my business. I've gained 20lb in the past 3 years. Sometimes that bothers me and other times I just accept it as part of how my life is right now... I can always get rid of it again later, when my business is running on its own and I have time and energy again to put exercise at/near the top of the priority list.

I have to confess that I didn't actually read the article (or is it really a blog post?) as the title sounded a) like I already (somewhat) agree with his position, b) that it was merely his opinion, not objective advice, and c) sounded kind of preachy (as Turd more eloquently expressed :lol: ).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:37 am

ultraslacker wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

I was hoping you'd agree with me.

I don't know if I'm still in the striving and sacrifice stage of my career (I've got much closer to balance than 15 years ago) but personal services businesses are always hard, especially in a down economy.

“Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.” - Abraham Lincoln.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Return to “Training ”