Post A race - how do you fill your time?

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:28 pm

I love running so I keep running. :) (after appropriate recovery, of course). Maybe not as much, but that usually just frees up time on the weekends. Now I'm trying to let this injury heel, so I may do a bit more swimming and cycling instead of all running (neither hurts my achilles/calf thing). But I'd rather just keep running and start training for my next marathon.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

don'tstopnow
Percy Williams

Postby don'tstopnow » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:36 pm

Size 5, you ROCK!...I don't know if you'll remember me but I was 2nd female in the Blackfoot 50 miler. Congrats on your win!

To respond to your question, I'm trying to work more, cycle a lot and inline skate. I'm running a lot of marathons and ultra's this year so planning my training schedule has been keeping me busy too.

What's your next race?

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:48 am

Welcome here don'tstopnow! Are you one of the okotoks runners??

I haven't figured out what is next for me since Blackfoot was my A race. What about you?

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:47 pm

dsandall wrote:I like to spend my extra time convincing others of the merits of a rock :-)

:?: That's kind of a cryptic statement, but I can think of only one possible meaning to that... if so, good luck, and if you're successful... Congratulations!!!

Heather

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:51 pm

hmacdonald wrote:
dsandall wrote:I like to spend my extra time convincing others of the merits of a rock :-)

:?: That's kind of a cryptic statement, but I can think of only one possible meaning to that... if so, good luck, and if you're successful... Congratulations!!!

Heather

I think in one of the other Blackfoot threads there was a reference to an engraved rock given as a prize for placing in some race - instead of a plaque. ;)
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:08 pm

BJH wrote:
hmacdonald wrote:

Heather

I think in one of the other Blackfoot threads there was a reference to an engraved rock given as a prize for placing in some race - instead of a plaque. ;)

Ahhh.... that's good too, but clearly not what I was thinking of!

H

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:28 pm

hmacdonald wrote:
BJH wrote:
hmacdonald wrote:

Heather

Ahhh.... that's good too, but clearly not what I was thinking of!

H

Oh trust me Heather...... the only rock I'll be looking for is one that is awarded at the end of Lost Souls Ultra.

I've had the "other" kind of rock already once :roll: And I'm not looking for a second one thankyouverymuch!

Dsandall and Agent Provacteur are an item but only they can comment on the merit of the "other" kind of rock.....

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

don'tstopnow
Percy Williams

Postby don'tstopnow » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:07 pm

Hi S 5...yes I'm an Okotoks runner. My next race is Cochrane marathon next Saturday.

What distance are you running at Lost Soul? I am going to try the 100 K. Have you ever run Lost Soul before? Good luck, I think you're awesome!

Sorry to here you were sick shortly after Blackfoot. I felt OK but only took in 8 gels...also about 10 pounds of sliced strawberries, boy were they ever good! You looked good at the awards lunch, sorry I couldn't stick around to chat, I would've liked to.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:12 pm

don'tstopnow wrote: What distance are you running at Lost Soul? I am going to try the 100 K. Have you ever run Lost Soul before?

:lol: I haven't committed to Lost Souls.... IF I do run it, I'll do the 50km. I've got some other things on this summer and training for a 100km event over the next couple of months isn't going to fit.

GOOD LUCK! You'll do awesome! Give us a Cochrane race report too! Have you ever run Canmore half? (my favorite race of all time)

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:25 pm

Robbie-T wrote:Start training again, then there is never post race time to get bored. Seriously, that's what I do.
Same here.
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

don'tstopnow
Percy Williams

Postby don'tstopnow » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:10 am

S5..in 97' and 98' I ran the full marathon at Canmore, I don't think they offer the full anymore. It was beautiful, I loved being surrounded by the mountains. I have never done the half though. Are you doing it this year?

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:50 am

A race??!!?? Doesn't really exist in my vocabulary. Seriously though, Tfor me, they are all races or I simply won't go!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:55 am

don'tstopnow wrote: My next race is Cochrane marathon next Saturday.

Oooh my hometown.

slinks out of the ultra forum

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:20 pm

don'tstopnow wrote:Sorry to here you were sick shortly after Blackfoot. I felt OK but only took in 8 gels...also about 10 pounds of sliced strawberries, boy were they ever good! You looked good at the awards lunch, sorry I couldn't stick around to chat, I would've liked to.

Weren't those the best strawberries ever? I almost forgot I was in a race when I started nibbling on them at the end of central alley aid station :-)

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

don'tstopnow
Percy Williams

Postby don'tstopnow » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:42 pm

Dwayne....I sat down at the picnic table and absolutely inhaled them...I felt really good after that.

Congrats on a super time on the 100 K!

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:10 pm

hmacdonald wrote:

Heather

That's too funny! I guess our ultra-brains didn't even consider that aspect of 'the rock' - one thing about ultras is that medals just seem boring if you consider the buckles, the kettles, the rocks and all the other assorted items given to finishers. The rock mentioned here is the finisher award given at the Lost Soul ultra in Lethbridge, it has your name and time engraved in it.

I think I let it slip in another thread that I want a silver buckle at a little race down in California, all I have to do for that one is run 101 miles through the mountains in under 24 hours :-)

Dwayne

--

Alone.

Blackfoot 2007.

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:12 pm

don'tstopnow wrote:Dwayne....I sat down at the picnic table and absolutely inhaled them...I felt really good after that.

Thanks, but I think the real congrats are due out to you, if you managed to actually sit down and then get up and run again! I don't think I would have if I sat down. In fact, I think my support team hid the chairs everytime I cam in.

I think we chatted briefly on the course, were you wearing blue?

Dwayne

--

Alone.

Blackfoot 2007.

don'tstopnow
Percy Williams

Postby don'tstopnow » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:53 pm

dsandall wrote:
don'tstopnow wrote:Dwayne....I sat down at the picnic table and absolutely inhaled them...I felt really good after that.

Thanks, but I think the real congrats are due out to you, if you managed to actually sit down and then get up and run again! I don't think I would have if I sat down. In fact, I think my support team hid the chairs everytime I cam in.

I think we chatted briefly on the course, were you wearing blue?

Dwayne - yes I WAS in blue! I remember now, that is so cool, we actually met! So best not to sit down , eh? I will try and remember that at Lost Soul.

Gear Boy
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gear Boy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:26 pm

dsandall wrote:In fact, I think my support team hid the chairs everytime I cam in.

That is just hilarious. :lol: The chairs were there the whole time plain as day. Neither you or Krista even noticed them. Did you see my orange tent setup there? Krista didn't even notice in the pictures you posted.

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:31 pm

Orion wrote:
dsandall wrote:In fact, I think my support team hid the chairs everytime I cam in.

That is just hilarious. :lol: The chairs were there the whole time plain as day. Neither you or Krista even noticed them. Did you see my orange tent setup there? Krista didn't even notice in the pictures you posted.

It's funny, I noticed the tent, but all I could think about was the race director's warning about camping not being allowed in the area the race was staged in. I knew you were going to have it set up, but I just didn't associate it with you. Remember, your 'wig' threw me for a loop too, I was wondering who the heck was filling my camelback :-)

Ah the delusional brain of someone running for over 5 hours...

--

Alone.

Blackfoot 2007.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:37 pm

don'tstopnow wrote:So best not to sit down , eh? I will try and remember that at Lost Soul.

There is a common ultra race expression "beware of the chair" They really don't recommend sitting down.... it feels too good.

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:42 pm

don'tstopnow wrote:Dwayne - yes I WAS in blue! I remember now, that is so cool, we actually met! So best not to sit down , eh? I will try and remember that at Lost Soul.

I think we leap frogged each other a bit then on your 3rd, my 4th lap. I was sucking wind and trying to keep my stomach settled after leaving the main aid station. It took me until about 3 or 4 miles into that last lap to get going again.

D

--

Alone.

Blackfoot 2007.

Return to “Training ”