TAKE 6 MINUTES OFF YOUR MARATHON TIME!

Everything about the training process, including programs, experiences, etc.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:53 am

Tights may give runners a lift

Running tights designed to support the muscles and boost runners' performance may actually work as advertised, a small study suggests.

Known as compression tights, the apparel is marketed to distance runners as a way to make their muscles work more efficiently - expending less energy to do a given amount of work.

In the new study, French researchers found that the high-tech pants allowed 12 male runners to expend less effort during their runs compared with shorts or traditional low-tech tights.

...Perrey estimated that, for a marathoner who normally clocks in at 3.5 hours, compression tights could shave about 6 minutes off that time.

Read the complete article in the Sydney Morning Herald at:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Tights ... 68927.html

Ken

Ken Parker
e1-gm91-rghh-ngkv@emailias.com
http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html
RunnersWeb.com
Store.RunnersWeb.com
RunnersWebCoach.com
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

dmchardie
Bruce Kidd

Postby dmchardie » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:57 am

Now if they could knock nine minutes off my marathon time I might consider buying a pair! :lol:
Running Blog: http://danmchardierunning.blogspot.com/

Miramichi 10K: 38:42 (PB)
Grande-Digue 15K: 1:02:08 (PB)
Legs for Literacy Half-Marathon: 1:31:32 (PB)
2005 Royal Victoria Marathon: 3:19:00 (PB)

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:32 am

If I wear 3 pairs, do I get 18 mins off, so I can BQ?!!?
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:35 am

These "studies" that use such a small number to base their findings on crack me up - it is so unscientific it shouldn't even be publishable.

That's not knocking HCD for putting these up for our consumption, though!

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:40 am

RayMan wrote:These "studies" that use such a small number to base their findings on crack me up - it is so unscientific it shouldn't even be publishable.

You can prove anything with statistics. 87% of people know that.
- Homer Simpson

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:25 am

I know how to drop my times dramatically. It wouldn't involve special tights. It would however involve cancellation of all future ice cream tours. :(
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:44 am

RayMan wrote:These "studies" that use such a small number to base their findings on crack me up - it is so unscientific it shouldn't even be publishable.

That's not knocking HCD for putting these up for our consumption, though!

I don't write'm, just post'm .... :oops: :P

As with anything else in life, what may work for one may not necessarily work for another ... As someone puts in her signature line ... we are all an experiment of one ... :?

If I had my way ... eating large Gabriel Deluxe Pizzas and Lasagnes the last two weeks of marathon / 1/2 IM Duathlon tapering would be my contribution to the world ... :wink: :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:54 am

HCD wrote:I don't write'm, just post'm .... :oops: :P

Exactly HCD that's whay I said I am attacking the study, not you. I wanted to be clear on that.

I understand the experiment of one idea, but I honestly think that the scintific method requires a larger sample and more time before "results" can be posted.

This sloppy science is misleading and a disservice to those who seek to carry out a serious study.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:08 am

BJH wrote:I know how to drop my times dramatically. It wouldn't involve special tights. It would however involve cancellation of all future ice cream tours. :(

Don't do it! We need you on this tour!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:25 am

Train smart, train hard, run fast...that will knock more than 6 minutes off your marathon time.....guaranteed! Happy Friday evryone! 8)
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:32 am

Ed Fizz wrote:

You can prove anything with statistics. 87% of people know that.
- Homer Simpson

Actually, 65% of all statistics are just made up numbers. :D

They don't say how they did the study - what did they measure? There's a mention of using less effort in the third paragraph - perhaps they measured heart rate for the same runners at the same speed in different pants? If so there may be some scientific validity to it (limited by the sample size of course). If they just put people in different pants and sent them out to run races then its worse than useless.

I like the reference to "muscle oscillation" about halfway through the article. Now when I look down at my thighs and belly during a run I'll say "muscle oscillation" instead of "jiggling flab".
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:34 am

There might be differences between gender too. I, however, suspect that the difference is marathon time might be smaller than expected since there might be a placibo effect here too.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:34 am

Just putting in my dos pesos worth. I have been wearing the CW-X tights and shorts for about a month now for my longer runs. I don't think they do anything for my speed but I do feel they do support the running muscles . I feel that my muscles are less fatigued during the run and my recovery time is much shorter.

It may be all in my head but I certainly will wear one or the other for all long runs. They work for me. :lol:

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:38 am

tortoise wrote:Just putting in my dos pesos worth. I have been wearing the CW-X tights and shorts for about a month now for my longer runs. I don't think they do anything for my speed but I do feel they do support the running muscles . I feel that my muscles are less fatigued during the run and my recovery time is much shorter.

It may be all in my head but I certainly will wear one or the other for all long runs. They work for me. :lol:

Wouldn't it make more sense to train in regualr tights and then use the super improved ones on race day?
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:43 am

Wouldn't compression tights be a bit hot in the summer?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:52 am

I use them only on my longer runs as my legs recover better.

They are no hotter to me than regular pants. I use the shorts now but I wore the tights in Ottawa and although my head was hot and my upper body was sweating a lot my legs were fine. The water I was pouring over my head wet the legs and the evaporation actually cooled my legs a bit.

That said, I like the heat and don't seem to suffer like most of my running friends do in hotter weather.

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:01 am

tortoise wrote:Just putting in my dos pesos worth. I have been wearing the CW-X tights and shorts for about a month now for my longer runs. I don't think they do anything for my speed but I do feel they do support the running muscles . I feel that my muscles are less fatigued during the run and my recovery time is much shorter.

I'm sure the CW-X does something for muscle support. I'm sold on the technology and plan to get a pair of the shorts for summer soon. I thought there was also something about how the compression technology improved circulation of blood back out of the legs, improving aerobic capacity or somesuch.

They also have a compression shirt for even more of a boost, but that won't do me much good, at least until the cool weather returns. :wink:
Hola!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:13 am

I like the reference to "muscle oscillation" about halfway through the article. Now when I look down at my thighs and belly during a run I'll say "muscle oscillation" instead of "jiggling flab".

I think that this has a lot to do with the value of wearing them. I have rather large leg muscles and the CW-X compression pants ( both tights and shorts!) seem to really control that.

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:42 am

I have thin sinewy legs and find even the Underarmor shorts uncomfortable - too much compression on my legs makes me feel like I can't get enough blood to where it is needed.

So this study would be more valuable if we knew the body fat percentage of the runners too.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:12 pm

Tortoise - I thought of you when I saw this study....

You say that they don't feel like they make you faster, BUT, you recover better - which means, that you can do better training once you recover - which will probably make you faster! ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

tritorun
Tom Longboat

Postby tritorun » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:42 pm

La wrote:Wouldn't compression tights be a bit hot in the summer?

That is what I was going to say! I would overheat if I run a Marathon in anything other than shorts unless it was below freezing.

Paul
7 Marathons and counting!
Peterbourough Half 2007 (5:02:38)
Ironman Canada - 2007 (11:29:51)
with the slowest Marathon of my life

Up Next- rest for a while.

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:52 pm

Superman wears thights....it all makes sense now. Personally I am not at that stage yet. I wore spandex once in my life and that was when I played for an Iron Maiden cover band at a party. :lol:

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:53 pm

I've checked the article again and one thing jumped at me. The test was done during a 15-minute excercise. The marathon time saving is calculated by inference. I think that they are reaching for straw here.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:01 pm

irongirl wrote:Tortoise - I thought of you when I saw this study....

You say that they don't feel like they make you faster, BUT, you recover better - which means, that you can do better training once you recover - which will probably make you faster! ;)

I hope so as I am going for a PB at St. George Utah Marathon in the fall!! :lol:

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:53 pm

ChrisL wrote:I've checked the article again and one thing jumped at me. The test was done during a 15-minute excercise. The marathon time saving is calculated by inference. I think that they are reaching for straw here.

Holy carp that is a crock! Thanks for the investigative reporting sir!

Return to “Training ”