Walking Time!

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
braveheart
Lynn Williams

Walking Time!

Postby braveheart » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:51 pm

I have been having some real knee pain issues (can run not too bad but it used to be just walking DOWN stairs that hurt but now it is going up, getting up and down from sitting etc.) so while I am trying to heal and rest I have decided to turn to walking.

I am noticing on the treadmill that my core strength must be worse than I thought since I find myself wobbling and having to bring myself back to a centre position

does this happen to anyone else?

any treadmill walking hints? i am using the treadmill programs (either the fat burning, intervals or hills program)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:39 am

No hints for the TM, CK. But just wanted to say that I may be joining you. I'm decreasing my running til this IT band gets a bit better. And I realized the other day when I bailed on my run that I miss walking. I am gonig to start getting out for a walk just for the sake of going for a walk (instead of it solely being transportation).
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:04 pm

Sorry to hear that your body is not cooperating with you. I think that walking is a very good idea for you in order to give your knee some time to heal. It definitely has far less impact than running. Perhaps your balance issues on the treadmill have to do with the fact that you are using totally different muscles then when you run? I think too that if you are used to walking outdoors on different and varying terrain that suddenly walking on a machine can throw you off. I can say that everytime I start running on my treadmill I am in serious pain the next day. Nothing serious or even permanent, just a reminder that I am definitely using different muscles.

Well, I am sorry you ladies are missing your runs but I am happy to have someone joining me here on the walking forum :lol:
Maybe if you get outside to walk you might feel better.
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
John Burroughs

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Up for this week

two 5K walks and one 13K walk

and a call put in to my dr to find out why the knee are not showing improvement

Happy walking everyone

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:55 pm

After today's Run for Reach and my glute and hamstring issues, I may be turning to walking too. I'll have to see what the RMT has to say tomorrow.
Heather

"We over-committed, overweight middle-aged moms who have been athletic failures most of our lives don’t get much fanfare when we finally get off the couch and go for it, but there are a lot of us out there" - Seuss

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:47 pm

Hey Campbellskid, I am sorry to hear that your knee is not feeling better. Maybe another trip to the doc's will give you more insight. Your walking distance is still way ahead of mine anyway :D I have been very, very sick for about a week and a half so my walks have been few and far between :shock: Oh well, feeling a little better now so I better get in my 3 walks before Thursday's walking clinic!!! BTW we are supposed to be getting slightly nicer weather starting tomorrow!!!!
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."

John Burroughs

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:05 pm

WOW! Must say I am sorry to hear of all the knee problems. Knowing I am not alone I can comiserate with all you ladies. :wink:

I did not walk last week as we were away seeing my hubbies sister who will be 94 next week! She is not very well so it was a quick trip from Mtl up to Goderich on Lake Huron in a 3 day trip - lots of sitting in the car and hobbling around when I got out of it. I am seeing the doctor next week to see what else he can suggest either in meds or exercise. When I walk 3 or 4km the next day I can hardly move. Will have to see if I can keep it up. I don't think any 10k walks this year :cry: I have to be very careful.

I trust all your problems heal quickly - keep posting = glad I am not alone in the 'achy' department :lol:

Take care
Karen

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:11 pm

Well I have been working out but did not walk or run for a bit as I was throwing a classic Lesley hissy fit and did not do anything other than the recumbent bike for cardio

However I got my arse out tonight for an hour (I think it actually took me that long to walk about 7K)

Going out again on Sat or SUn with toobusy for a walk in bronte creek

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:47 am

Hmmm Campbell's kid, it takes me 50 minutes to walk 5km, so you are still winning the race. Good for you for knowing when to listen to your body to slow down a bit. Hope you are back at it again soon!
Bridie

John Burroughs

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun May 13, 2007 11:11 am

Had a wonderful dinner in London yesterday and got to meet some new Maniacs :D

Yesterday I got on the treadmill for 20mins on an interval program

today I did 40mins - one 20min program called Fat Burn (first button I pressed ) and then 20mins of an program called hill intervals.

I wonder if my walking form can be translated to my running form as I find myself wobbling quite a bit and having to straighten up and stop leaning to one side?

happy moms day to all the moms out there - off to see mine now

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sun May 13, 2007 8:09 pm

skipped the bike tonight in favour of a walk with DH - Happy Mother's Day to me. 5k or so, perfect weather for it, except for the bug clouds I kept breathing.

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Sun May 13, 2007 8:18 pm

toobusy wrote:skipped the bike tonight in favour of a walk with DH - Happy Mother's Day to me. 5k or so, perfect weather for it, except for the bug clouds I kept breathing.

Protein my dear, protein clouds

Return to “Walking”