Funny and a little uncomfortable.

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Funny and a little uncomfortable.

Postby luvmybabies » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:26 pm

Hi all, I signed up for a local learn to run/walk clinic here in Erin and we had our first gathering last Thursday night. I was sooooo excited and even more so when I entered the room and saw about 25 other people all shapes, sizes, ages etc. The clinic was clearly offering guidance/coaching to both walkers and runners to get people ready for a local race coming up in May. Well, the whole time the teacher was talking and talking and only making reference to running :shock: I was getting a little nervous thinking I was in the wrong class. SO I put up my hand and asked is this clinic also for walkers? Oh yes, I was reassured.

When it came time to hit the streets for our first walk/run. I was the only person who wanted to walk. I was really surprised but held my ground, they took off doing 1 minute walking and 1 minute running for 2 km. Luckily I did know one lady who offered to walk with me and we actually made it back to the finish before a few of the "runners" I really did feel uncomfortable but I have learned that I just can't push beyond my capabilities too fast or else I will end up paying for it big time :) The adventures of walking in a runner's world.
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
John Burroughs

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:53 pm

Good for you for sticking to your guns and not feeling pressured!

IMHO, the instructor/store should have called you to let you know that you would be the only walker - heck, the instructor should have walked with you (I am sure that there were group leaders for the run).

Good luck with the clinic,

Colleen

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:23 pm

Ooooh, not good. I agree with eme's comments: you should have been told you were the only walker. :?
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:44 pm

I agree with the others

good for you for sticking to your ground though
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:49 am

Good for you for not giving up, Bridie!
Maybe more walkers will show up next time.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:53 am

I think you should pass a few more runners next week. Street Cred!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:56 am

You are going to do awesome, even if you are the only walker. How can you possibly not enjoy the experience, knowing that you have the power of orange behind you?! Go show 'em your stuff, Maniac! 8)

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:41 am

Agree with all of the others! Stick to what YOU yourself can do and accomplish without doing damage to your body.

You are doing fine! (ask someone who knows what an injury can do ...) take it easy. Last few days since my last walk I have been using the heating pad on my knee NOT the injured one, the other one OH MY! growing old ain't no picnic! Osteoarthritis in both knees bring on the celebrex! :lol:

Stick to your guns - and tell them what you expected by signing up and joining. Perhaps there will be someone else who feels the same way and will be your walking partner for the duration of the clinic.

Karen

Return to “Walking”