Anyone out there?

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Anyone out there?

Postby luvmybabies » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:44 pm

Anyone getting out for a walk these days? I didn't manage one on our holidays last week. I brought all of my gear with big plans but somehow a holiday with a 1 and 2 year old doesn't leave a lot of down time :shock: We had great fun though and I think I got my exercise chasing everyone around. Went for a nice walk with a few short running spurts on Sunday and going for the 20 minute challenge with the double stroller tomorrow. What is everyone else doing?
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
John Burroughs

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:00 pm

Bridie...

Awesome you're getting to the Challenge.

I wish I was doing more walking with my doggie C-Moss these days...her leg is still bothering her...and I'm reluctant to take her out for really long walks.

Have fun tomorrow at The Challenge :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:21 pm

I've been using walking as my LSD - kind of. I find when I run my HR goes way too high so I've been running just shorter distances. But I've been walking about 3 times a week as well with a 10k walk on the weekends. I must say, I am really enjoying it. So is my dog! It's been a beautiful week for evening walks.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:30 pm

I've been walking to and from work lately (2km each way). I forgot how much I missed it. I also get out for walks on my lunch break.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:07 pm

I walk at least 4k every day with the pups. Always first thing in the morning, 'cause my runs happen at lunch or in the evening...

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:36 am

I've been walking a bit more lately, which is great, because I had forgotten just how much I loved it. It's so much less stressful than running! I'm excited that you are coming to the 20 minute challenge. If you would like someone to walk with, let me know and I'll introduce you to my Mom, she'll also be out there walking.

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:12 pm

Yeah, me!

Today was really strange - I got to walk at least 2km - looking for my alzheimers client :shock: When I arrived to her apartment, she was already out on her walk ALONE and enroute and I had to go to the b/room. So I left, in a hurry, and went the opposite route to catch up to her and walk her home BUT she went another route so I did her usual route of 2km and headed back to her apartment - she has two routes she walks routinely. I am not comfortable with her walking alone and have let her family know and they also are not at ease but know she knows her routes, has been doing them for 3 years twice daily and the people around her see her leave and watch for her return. All I can do is hope she waits for me to arrive and we go together which we do nearly every Sunday.

Now the good part and funny part - she walks into the apartment and say "anybody home?" I said "yes,me" - she said "well, I had a wonderful walk, did you??"
when I told her I tried to catch up to her she replied, "you have to get up really early to catch up to me, young lady" (she's 84!) :wink:

All was well and we had a great day - she was 'really with it' today.
and I got to do a 2km quick walk which I hadn't done in a longgggg time. The knees were not to bad.

Have a good week all,
K

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:05 pm

Yeh KaTy! Well even if you didn't plan to it seems like you were meant to get out for that walk! Good to hear. You have a very special job there, I admire people who help others improve their quality of life.
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."

John Burroughs

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:34 am

Oh KaTy...you must have been worried...but you got a walk in :D

I'm with Bridie...you do special work. Have a great week. BTW...C-Moss's leg is much better...I'm planning an offleash walk for her this weekend!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:59 am

:".C-Moss's leg is much better...I'm planning an offleash walk for her this weekend"

.....bet she will be bouncing all over the place - watch out for those little bunnies she might want to chase :D .....

Yes, I was worried all I could do was wait on the balcony of her apt and watch for her but knew she wld return as her time out is usually around 30minutes to 45 minutes away from the building. Any longer I would have called out the troops from the security of the building.

I also care for two other ladies who have Alzheimers and one is the lady I watched over last year until she had an accident. Her family has asked that I care for her twice a week now and get her up walking again. Well, she now is walking the length of her hospital hall three times, says she is tired all the time but still carries on. She remembers me as "the lady who makes me walk"...not by name BUT when I go to the dining room int he morning she knows me immediately and waves and says" come sit with me" - also likes to compare the width of my wrist to hers - hers is so small and mine well big...she says I have big bones (nice way of putting it isn't it??)

HAe a great day ladies and C-Moss ....no bunnies.....

KaTy

Return to “Walking”