Walking on Wednesday

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
Ken B
Lynn Williams

Walking on Wednesday

Postby Ken B » Wed May 17, 2006 12:41 pm

I decided to start a separate Wednesday thread as I did not want to hijack luvmybabies' thread.

I had a comfortable 10 km walk today at noon. This morning Bunny and I had a very nice 10 km run as usual. Have a super day everyone! :lol:

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed May 17, 2006 2:02 pm

I had a lovely walk on the waterfront at lunch, and bumped into qmp while I was walking. That was a nice surprise. It was good to see a friendly face. And the weather was beautiful. It's so nice to be able to walk in the sun on the waterfront. It was hard to get myself back in the office.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Wed May 17, 2006 3:27 pm

Tortiose, how long does it take you to walk a "comfortable 10 km"?
I am still working on 5km :? :P
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
John Burroughs

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed May 17, 2006 3:31 pm

I average about a 10 min/km pace when walking alone thus about 1 3/4 hrs. When walking with Mrs. Tortoise we walk a more sedate 11-12 min/km pace! :lol:

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed May 17, 2006 3:33 pm

I am still working on 5km

Are you walking by yourself or do you have your lovely babies with you when you walk??

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Wed May 17, 2006 3:45 pm

Both really I sometimes walk on the treadmill and sometimes outdoors with the stoller. I think I average about 11-12 min/km. Takes me just under an hour to walk 5 km! I tell "Robbie-T that I feel like I am really pushing at that speed and can't imagine ever going any faster :D He reassures me that I will go faster as I get into better shape. I used to be able to walk all day without any problems before having these babes. I guess I just need to be patient to get back my physical endurance. :roll:
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."

John Burroughs

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed May 17, 2006 4:34 pm

Well I have longer legs and also now run marathons which helps my conditioning. But I have always walked a lot particularly before I started running. When in Calgary for a year in spring, summer, and fall I would walk 20-30 km per day at least 5 times a week.

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Wed May 17, 2006 6:24 pm

You are very active for sure Tortoise, if you have any tips for me along the way I would appreciate your advice. Good for you for becoming a runner at 60!
Bridie

John Burroughs

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed May 17, 2006 6:40 pm

No problem Bridie. Off the top of my head I suggest looking for neat places to walk, either good trails or nice streets where it is neat to look at the houses. Secondly like running start walking slowly and even do 10 and 1's like the runners where you slow down whatever pace you are walking for a minute every ten minutes. Also hydration and nutrition are important the longer you are out. Particularly hydration with some sort of sports drink.
Have fun!!

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Thu May 18, 2006 7:53 am

Thanks for the advice! I was just asking Rob about this idea of 10 and 1's. That sounds like something I will try. Your advice is definitely appreciated.
Bridie

John Burroughs

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu May 18, 2006 8:03 am

I just want to pipe in here and stress something Tortise mentioned. You are feeding a baby and therefore need lots of fluids yourself. Don't forget to take a drink when you head out for your 5 km because an hour is a long time especially as we head into warmer days :D

Way to keep at it Birdie!

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Thu May 18, 2006 8:41 am

Yep I will be sure to bring that water with me for sure! I was mistaken, you are running a 50 -miler!!!!! OH that is so impressive :shock: Are you a nurse? I will have to keep up my milk supply for sure my 11 week old is now over 15 pounds! Yes, he loves to eat and I am still his lifeline 8) Love that job!
Bridie

John Burroughs

Return to “Walking”