Good morning walkers!

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Good morning walkers!

Postby luvmybabies » Thu May 18, 2006 8:05 am

Well, last night I got my walk in 45 minutes on the treadmill at a fairly comfy pace but I added in a few hills. It felt great at the time but this morning my hips hurt :? I just can't believe how out of shape I am. I am fitting into my pre-pregnancy clothes again so my weight is improving, just my overall fitness is lacking :oops:

Here is my question, I have never walked a 5km race before but I feel that I will be able to do this without too much trouble if I don't worry about speed. Now I am planning on walking the Orangeville 5km race on June 11th and now I am debating walking the 5km race the week-end before in Blenheim. Robbie-T is running the half marathon so I will be there and grandparents can watch the babies if I want to do it. I just don't want to push too hard and regret it later. What do you think? :?:

Hope you are all enjoying your day! One more day to the week-end!!
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
John Burroughs

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu May 18, 2006 8:11 am

I think that as long as you don't push it too hard on the first one, you shoudl be fine to do 2 5k's a week apart. But if you think that both will be too much, just do one. I know, I'm not really that helpful... :roll: :lol:
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu May 18, 2006 8:12 am

So you are proposing two 5 km races a week apart?

I think you might need to see how your weeks go around that time. You are nursing, and sometimes lacking sleep. It might be that one of those races gets scrapped if you have a bad week. You have already walked 5 km and I believe you said it took you around an hour. So, physically, you know it is possible.... I think it more depends on the week leading up to the race.

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Thu May 18, 2006 8:37 am

You are right Size5, I will play it by ear. You really seem to understand what it is like to have small babies. I don't have to pre-register for either race so I will just see what the previous few days are like. I have convinced another new mom that she should walk with me in the Orangeville race (the second one) so I will have to save myself for that one for sure. I think Robbie-T told me that you were training for or just recently ran a 50km race. WOW!! Thanks for appreciating and supporting my opposite end of fitness. :wink: RunningAngel, any advice is helpful :P
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."

John Burroughs

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu May 18, 2006 8:51 am

Oh but I sooooo started where you are :D I had about 60 pounds to loose first and I didn't even have a baby to get me the extra 60 pounds :lol:

It would be great if you can get a bit of company, support and friendship
with another new mom.

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu May 18, 2006 9:12 am

I would suggest you do the Blenheim race just for fun, you have already walked the 5k distance right? If so, then i would do the race as my "long walk" to train for the next week- where you may want to "race" the Orangeville one. I figure, you have a free babysitter for that time, why not take advantage of it and walk that day? But, be sure not to get caught up in the event and push too hard, and then be sore for Orangeville.

Return to “Walking”