so disappointed and disillusioned!

A place for walkers to discuss their unique needs
KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

so disappointed and disillusioned!

Postby KaTyBrown » Mon May 29, 2006 7:00 am

**** just in case you missed my posting I HAVE REGISTERED FOR THE 10K IN THE MONTREAL MARATHON!!!! yea! have already done a few walks and enjoying myself once again.

K

*** to all a big thank you for your replies. I am very happy to have tried but the weather sure did a number on everyone, didn't it?
I will try again and like Heather says, "try NOT to think about it for a few days" - then will get back on the roads again.

tks agn/Karen

here is my little 'walking race report' :(

Okay - I tried - I really did! I got to the 8km marker and hit the grassy area with a severe asthma attack due to high heat and humidity :(
I had used my puffer twice within 20 minutes but no help from that.

Thank goodness for *Reid* a medic on bike who was right near me, I called out "medic" and he took over. I was taken to the hospital by paramedic car and into the area in the rear where the doctors took over.
After about hour and half I was able to walk out on very jelly-like legs and into my daughter's car.
Heather (bruyere) had come through the run at under 4hours :clap: and told my hubby and Lynne that "Mum will have problems today with the heat" - Boy! was she right.
:shock:

To all the volunteers, doctors and nurses who might read this - THANK YOU for such compassion under such conditions - people were dropping like flies and coming in one after the other.

Will I try this again next year? Don't know as still in 'recovery mode'. Maybe the 10K - who knows.....

CONGRATS TO ALL WHO COMPLETED THE RUN IN THEIR PERSONAL TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy running/walking to all.
:D Karen
Last edited by KaTyBrown on Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon May 29, 2006 7:17 am

hey Karen,

You can't control the heat OR the asthma, so don't be hard on yourself! There is always next year! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon May 29, 2006 7:43 am

Oh man... I had no idea this had happened to you.

Yesterday was an unusually difficult day for racing.

I should tell you that I too have had to be carted off a racecourse before... twice in fact. But I've gone on to have fun, successful races afterward. And you can too. This was just ONE day. You'll have many more days in the future that will make you forget all about this.

One day you'll be sitting around with a medal around your neck saying "Remember that half marathon in Ottawa back in '06? Boy, that was a scorcher..."

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Mon May 29, 2006 7:50 am

Sorry to hear about that. Many of us have problems in the heat. Just goes to show how good the support was at the race that you were helped when needed. Just think how nice it will be to get back out there in a cool fall race by comparison!

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Mon May 29, 2006 8:08 am

We all had bad days, and you are not any different. So, you WILL have good races. It sucks, I know, but do not let this down.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Mon May 29, 2006 8:25 am

Wow! How scary can asthma attack be! Very- scary! Glad you ok now! Perhaps you will have to plan for a different time of the year race or location..... Exemple: uh hmm the marathon here is late august and ....that mean summer's over by then! :D
Like you say, people were dropping like flies! :shock: Hope everyone were ok.

:D :wink:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Mon May 29, 2006 8:27 am

thank goodness for medics on courses, hope all is OK now, there will be other race days!
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon May 29, 2006 8:33 am

Heat is really, really tought, paticualrly when there is a quick change int eh weather condidtions.

You will come back stronger!

:)
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon May 29, 2006 8:35 am

Yells for medics was often heard yesterday. THank God for their quick reactions and help.

Sorry the heat and asthma got you, there were a lot who suffered badly. There will definitely be better days.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon May 29, 2006 9:30 am

I am so sorry it didn't work out, but as others have said, you can't control the weather or your asthma.

I hope you get out there again, and maye try a fall 1/2 (if you do an October one it hopefully won't be as hot!)

Donna
Percy Williams

Postby Donna » Mon May 29, 2006 10:53 am

I am sorry Karen that it didn't work out but there will be other times. You gave it your all. I have no health issues and I found it difficult walking this past weekend with the new found heat and humidity. Treat this as a learning experience and maybe do shorter distances in the summer months and save the longer distances for the fall and spring when there won't be so much heat and humidity......Donna

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon May 29, 2006 10:55 am

Sorry it didn't work out for you but glad that you're okay (the most important thing)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Mon May 29, 2006 11:24 am

See, Mum? I told you!! It was the heat, which you can't control, and you were definitely not alone in having trouble!! :)

Take a few days to NOT think about it... and then we'll see about what you might do next!
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon May 29, 2006 3:14 pm

I am happy that you are well & safe.
As for these races, there's always another day.
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Mon May 29, 2006 4:28 pm

Karen,

I was thinking of you out on the course, and wondered if I would meet you. I'm sorry that you had such a hard time, but it WAS the heat and the humidity, and it was smoggy. I was stuffed up all day.

To put it in perspective, I haven't talked to anyone that did the 1/2 in their expected time, particularly the ones that expected to be out there for a longer period of time.

I usually run for 70 minutes with no problem whatsoever doing 10 & 1s. Yesterday I only made it to about 50 minutes, and I had the worst part of my "run" between about 6 and 12 K. After reading some of the reports today, it turns out that it wasn't my imagination that the water stations weren't evenly spaced in the first part of the run. It was TOUGH out there, and I have no doubt that you could finish under better conditions.

Take care, rest up, and look for a fall event with an early start to the day!!! I know you can do it Karen.

Heather

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon May 29, 2006 6:32 pm

Sorry to hear this. Please don't be hard on yourself for something you can't control. I hope you decide to give it another try. After all, you weren't the only one; it was just a tough day. Take care.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon May 29, 2006 7:22 pm

As someone who struggles with asthma I know how frustrating it can be. You did everything right, but your body had a mind of it's own. There was nothing you could do except take care of your health. COngrats for making a smart decision to get the help you needed.

Here's to some clear breathing and cooler weather for you!

Marvin Martian
Bruce Kidd

Postby Marvin Martian » Tue May 30, 2006 12:16 am

Happy to hear you are ok and recovering!

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Tue May 30, 2006 12:25 am

Karen, so sorry you had a tough time, but so glad that you got the medical attention you needed! The heat on Sunday was BRUTAL, I think most of us were affected by it to some degree. There will be other days: this was just one of many. Take care,

James aka BG
BG

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Tue May 30, 2006 4:35 pm

Karen, all I can say is what everyone else has said -- and hey, we can't ALL be wrong, can we?? You were so smart to let them take you off the course for the medical attention that you needed. You don't want to mess with asthma.

The weather is just one variable that we can't control no matter how much we want to. And considering a week earlier we were huddled in our sweaters, and this week we were sweltering along with the poor air quality caused with the humidity, it must have been quite the shock for your body!

I agree with Erin -- maybe try a fall race! Although it was the same hot weather last year on Oct 2 for the PEC marathon! But you have less chance of that happening and more chance of freezing.

I am sorry that this experience was not pleasant for you. But please don't let it deter you from continuing with your walking and entering events. The next one will be yours!
Jane

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed May 31, 2006 5:01 am

Sorry to hear about your problems. I am sure that you will have many successful events in the futire. Take care.

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Wed May 31, 2006 7:10 am

Irongirl told me the medical tent at the finish area was unusually empty this year.

So many runners needed medical help way before the finish!

I'm just glad you're okay!!!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed May 31, 2006 7:29 am

Yep, the humidity will get you every time. I have asthma too, and the humidity really bothers me as well. Thank goodness you are okay!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

luvmybabies
Johnny Miles

Postby luvmybabies » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:13 am

This weather is crazy! I know it is disappointing when you set goals and something happens to interfere, this was not something you could control so don't let it interfere with future goals. :D
Bridie

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
John Burroughs

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:35 pm

Karen...

:shock: I just read your report...oh my...I didn't realize this had happened to you.

If it makes you feel any better last year at K Town Triathlon one of my friends who is an experienced Tri person had a bad asthma attack...I was running a water station when she showed up in bad shape...yep...I played the heavy cuz she wanted to keep on running...and told her she had two choices...walk the rest of the course...with a volunteer to keep an eye on her...or I would pull her off the course..... She chose to walk...she wasn't happy but we laugh about it now...

Karen...I know this must be disappointing...but I have a sneaky feeling that you will be back for revenge. This year was yucky at NCM...made me very happy I was running in the pouring rain at CTRR!!

Keep on truckin...and walkin... :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “Walking”