Death Race - Results

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Death Race - Results

Postby Albertatraildog » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:20 pm

Anyone have any results yet on yesterday's Death Race?
ATD

joanned74
Tom Longboat

Postby joanned74 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:26 pm

not yet, but should get a copy tomorrow at the awards ceremony and can let you know any info you want then.

Gear Boy
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gear Boy » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:32 pm

No idea yet here either, but I did leg 3 in 2:08-ish and leg 4 in 7:30-ish.

shortie
Bruce Kidd

Postby shortie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:25 pm

From the lady at the ice cream parlor said that the guy from red deer (?i think?) came first and the guy from edmonton was about 15mins behind him. not sure if that makes any sense heheh (no word on the women or teams, will find out tomorrow though)

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:46 am

I just want to know if my brother and our friends finished. I'm sure I'll talk to them later on this evening though.

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:42 pm

shortie wrote:From the lady at the ice cream parlor said that the guy from red deer (?i think?) came first and the guy from edmonton was about 15mins behind him. not sure if that makes any sense heheh (no word on the women or teams, will find out tomorrow though)

The "guy from Edmonton" would be Jack Cook - last years winner and course record holder. Not sure who the "guy from Red Deer" is. Could it have been Richard Web? (but I think Richard is from Calgary and not Red Deer). The race is notoriously slow to post results. Appreciate if anyone who has a print out could scan and post it on the RM board.

ATD

shortie
Bruce Kidd

Postby shortie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:10 pm

hmm well as of this morning it was actually Jack who won, so the ice cream lady was wrong!
I was pissed though, I waited all morning at the ceremonies for my team to be called, and then the guy announces 3hrs after I have been sitting there that the machine making the etchings or something broke and they only got 68 teams done :evil: I understand that things break, but why make us wait for 3hrs before telling us :x (... cranky letter will be written to directors... specially considering how much we pay to even enter) I wouldnt have stayed the extra night and day had I known as I have a final exam tomorrow too! ARGH!

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:19 pm

I have spoke extensively about what a rip off this race is (see the thread about the best value and the worst value.) I feel for you, with the plaque issue but this is not a one off. Two years ago our friends team didn't get their plaques at the awards presentation. It took them 1 YEAR of letters and phone calls to finally get their plaques. I know people the year before that that waited 6 months for their plaques. This is not a one off for them unfortunately. :roll: Make sure you keep on them about getting it.

It's a shame because this is one of the best races to do, but the amount of money they charge for the shoddy organization is not justified, and it never gets better. Every year they have problems that are preventable.

It's of no real interest to anyone, but my brother finished 30 minutes faster than last year. :D

shortie
Bruce Kidd

Postby shortie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:59 am

30 mins? well done! especially with the conditions!
Yes I was shocked at the whole awards thing, and particularly after waiting 3 hours to tell us they had no coins for us after all our hard work FOR that damn coin and then to make matters better the emcee guy had a bunch of draw prizes left at the end and instead of pulling numbers he says 'whoever wants one just come up and take one...' well I was at the back of the room, so needless to say anarchy ruled and I got the short stick.
I wrote a cranky letter to the directors about all this, and I agree, for the entry fee we pay getting this type of treatment is absolutely retarded. I demanded a free entry for next year, so see if it happens or not :roll:
Thanks for the heads up on the plaques taking forever, I will literally send an email every week 'reminding' them if I have to

joanned74
Tom Longboat

Postby joanned74 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:52 pm

Just received this email from the Death Race people:

Hi,

I know you are all anxious to see this year's results. We are presently working on them and hope to have them posted online at the end of the day.

Also, for those of you who did not receive your plaques at the awards ceremony, please accept our apologies. We work around the clock (36 straight hours) to make this event a success, and sometimes we hit snags, as happened with the plaques. I thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter though. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who participated in our event. It's great to finally be able to put faces next to names :)

See you in 2008!

Beth

Hopefully you'll get your placque soon, shortie! I would have been just as disappointed as you are if this had happened to my placque!!

myfeethurt
Percy Williams

Postby myfeethurt » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:14 pm

This race blows, and I will personally never do it. I've heard nothing but negative things, and while a lot of ultrarunners seem content with bad-mouthing the RD while simultaneously supporting his race, I see no reason to participate.
My homeslice Rune has a term, "T-shirt race" to describe events that people only do to say they did it- No disrespect to the volunteers or the specific people behind the event, but it's easy to tell when an event's primary concern is creating a positive experience for the participants, and likewise, when it Isn't.
I didn't see much on here about Fast Trax 100k this year, which fell in the middle of July in Edmonton- It was all road, so not a substitue for the Death Race by any means, but to me, this event exhibited everything an ultra should be. And trust me, Jack Cook (who won this year's Death Race, by the way) didn't get rich off of RD'ing Fast Trax.
-colin

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:21 pm

myfeethurt wrote:And trust me, Jack Cook (who won this year's Death Race, by the way) didn't get rich off of RD'ing Fast Trax.
-colin

he couldn't have anyway; this was the first year for that race. ;)

I'd have considered it but they picked a terrible weekend for it--same day as Powderface.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

myfeethurt
Percy Williams

Postby myfeethurt » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:33 pm

True, it was a tough call time-wise, and it seems like there aren't enough longer trail races/ultras here to call for date conflicts, but Fast Trax is definitely worth the trip if you are looking for something longer (50k/50m/100k) Not a good run for me at all, but a great event to support nonetheless.

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:57 pm

Congrats to those that took part in the Death Race this past weekend! Just a few things to add about the cash grab they got going on up there. I've never run but heard some bad reviews from 3 of the top 5 runners from 2006 all with the same comments and then a heap more this year.

To bad as the race from what i get of the course has the potential of being the Western States north of the 49th. First off the entry fee. $285 for a cotton shirt and a gold coin!?!? They are lucky they have a scenic course or they would get about 4 people to enter at that cost. I have no beef paying more money for a well run event. WS100 is $250. For that I got a sweater, tech shirt, bag, coffee mug, loads of sponsor swag, meals at the finish and lunch, meals for those 2 dinners for 3 crew plus 19 fully stocked aid stations on the way. And by stocked I mean drinks, ice, soups, pizza, sandwiches, cookies, chips, potatoes, cheese and crackers and more!

If you want the pre race meal (generic sh!t pasta) you pay another $15. Fair enough if the entry was low but for $285 bucks they can at least give you $1 worth of pasta! You want to attend the concert, another $45!

I've heard rumors that volunteers don't even get shirts for helping?! Speaking of shirts if you want a tech shirt you pay extra on top of your mortgage payment entry fee.

For those of you that have done ultras you know what a typical aid station has. This one has water and sports drink and bananas! What a joke!

The website is an embarrasment and their response time is about the same as a message being sent by horse from the British to the Greeks back in the 900's.

The sad part is the gorgeous course and camaderie will bring people back despite the outrageous cost and poor value of the race. I know SOME of the money from entries makes it to charities but you don't have to treat your participants and even vollies like sh*t in the meanwhile.

No knocks to those of you that did it. Its a motha of a course and a great test of endurance and strength and staying power (both solo and relay) but the RD could use some lessons on how to put on a proper event.

I'll quit ultras before payign $285 to run that race!

Anyways, as you were......

myfeethurt
Percy Williams

Postby myfeethurt » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:22 pm

Stay tuned for an event on the same day next year that will be way more low-key, but way more bang for your ultra buck.

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:24 pm

myfeethurt wrote:Stay tuned for an event on the same day next year that will be way more low-key, but way more bang for your ultra buck.

i don't know if i can take another heel clicker!!!! how about bumper stickers that say lets all go to elkhorn?!

myfeethurt
Percy Williams

Postby myfeethurt » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:31 pm

You're directing the race I'm talking about, Smelcher, you just don't know it yet!! We'll make it 125k in distance just so it's a slap in the face, K-country perhaps? SHWING! We'll give it a super-obvious contrast name, like "Life Race" hahah

shortie
Bruce Kidd

Postby shortie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:26 pm

Agreed all around, the only reason I am considering going back next year after being treated like crap is because of the amazing course and opportunity for trail/back country and crazy race. So if you guys can make a similar idea somewhere else, I bet you can count me and everyone else who has been screwed over to be there :D infact, I would help the cause and creation of said race -- show em' how it should be done. More schwag, better organization, better food and aid, better awards -

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:31 pm

shortie wrote:Agreed all around, the only reason I am considering going back next year after being treated like crap is because of the amazing course and opportunity for trail/back country and crazy race. So if you guys can make a similar idea somewhere else, I bet you can count me and everyone else who has been screwed over to be there :D infact, I would help the cause and creation of said race -- show em' how it should be done. More schwag, better organization, better food and aid, better awards -

come do powderface next year. ;)

not much for schwag but the organization was good and it's an awesome course.

Ruin what happened to the 100 mile one you were planning?

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

shortie
Bruce Kidd

Postby shortie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:37 pm

klewlis wrote:
shortie wrote:Agreed all around, the only reason I am considering going back next year after being treated like crap is because of the amazing course and opportunity for trail/back country and crazy race. So if you guys can make a similar idea somewhere else, I bet you can count me and everyone else who has been screwed over to be there :D infact, I would help the cause and creation of said race -- show em' how it should be done. More schwag, better organization, better food and aid, better awards -

where's powderface and what does it entail?
I am a noob to trails, but I am in love :shifty:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:38 pm

shortie wrote:
klewlis wrote:

where's powderface and what does it entail?
I am a noob to trails, but I am in love :shifty:

www.powderface42.com

shortie
Bruce Kidd

Postby shortie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:40 pm

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:21 pm

klewlis wrote:

don't worry a 50 miler / 100 miler with relay options will happen in kananaskis country! just in the works but will naturally post details.

entry fee will be $27,859 and i will give you a cotton tee shirt and outdated power bar. for an extra $3,337 i will provide bandages that you can use on nipples as the cotton shirt will rub them raw without ;)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:23 pm

ultrarune wrote:for an extra $3,337 i will provide bandages that you can use on nipples as the cotton shirt will rub them raw without ;)

a lot of good that does the WOMEN!

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:28 pm

klewlis wrote:
ultrarune wrote:for an extra $3,337 i will provide bandages that you can use on nipples as the cotton shirt will rub them raw without ;)

a lot of good that does the WOMEN!

forgot to say they get a package of them maxi pad thingies.... ;)

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”