Run for the Road vs Vulture Bait

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Andes
Johnny Miles

Run for the Road vs Vulture Bait

Postby Andes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:04 pm

I really want to do a 25K trail race this fall - which is a better experience in your opinion? I would probably be crazy to go with the Toad since I am running the STWM half the week before, but I keep getting intrigued by the hype.

Are both courses doable for beginners? My point of comparison is Hilton Falls - how much harder are these courses? Based on looking at finishing times I am assuming that I could be adding 1 min/km to my road half marathon time. Thank you in advance for any info or advice you can provide!

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Re: Run for the Road vs Vulture Bait

Postby bruyere » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Andes wrote:I really want to do a 25K trail race this fall - which is a better experience in your opinion? I would probably be crazy to go with the Toad since I am running the STWM half the week before, but I keep getting intrigued by the hype.

Are both courses doable for beginners? My point of comparison is Hilton Falls - how much harder are these courses? Based on looking at finishing times I am assuming that I could be adding 1 min/km to my road half marathon time. Thank you in advance for any info or advice you can provide!

The Toad is sold out now, so that might help your decision.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:14 pm

bruyère wrote:
Andes wrote:I really want to do a 25K trail race this fall - which is a better experience in your opinion? I would probably be crazy to go with the Toad since I am running the STWM half the week before, but I keep getting intrigued by the hype.

True, but there are bibs available from other runners.

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Andes wrote:
bruyère wrote:

Ah. Cool. I thought they didn't allow that for this race. Guess I didn't help your decision then! :)

If it helps any... I did my first 50K in Portland this year and I found it quite easy. I have been told that the Toad is an easier race. (I've never done it, so I have no clue for sure, but that's what I've been told...)
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:19 pm

bruyère wrote:
Andes wrote:
bruyère wrote:

Ah. Cool. I thought they didn't allow that for this race. Guess I didn't help your decision then! :)

If it helps any... I did my first 50K in Portland this year and I found it quite easy. I have been told that the Toad is an easier race. (I've never done it, so I have no clue for sure, but that's what I've been told...)

Heh heh - I hope one day I will be able to tell stories about a 50K trail race that I found "quite easy", but I definitely have some training to do first! :) Thanks for the input.

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:09 am

Andes wrote:
bruyère wrote:

don't think they allow bib transfers though. they never have in years past...

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:27 am

DKLS wrote:
Andes wrote:
bruyère wrote:

don't think they allow bib transfers though. they never have in years past...

Ah. So I did hear or read that...

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:43 am

Bib: If you don't care about your name being associated with your finish time, buy a bib. However, your finish time will be credited to the original bib owner.

Vulture Bait vs Toad: I did the training run earlier this year for the Toad and ironically, the Vulture Bait people were there. I asked the exact same question and they said VB was WAY easier.

Hope that helps.
Sandy

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:57 am

Toad allows bib transfers, as long as you do it well before the race. Rabid bought an RM bib last year and we had no problems changing it.

George & Peggy are pretty accommodating, as long as you are reasonable about your request ;)
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:58 am

I've never done a trail race before, but have signed up for Toad based on all of the prior year reports. Did the training run in July, only had enough time for 1.5 loops. I do zero training on hills---no hill in sight in my area--but did not find the slight rolling hills of Toad to be too hard, with the exception of the one that is short but very steep---very much light climbing 2 flights of stairs.

Really enjoyed the training run, but the humidity was taking its toll on me. I was soaking wet at though I just got out of the pool.

Don't have any trail shoes and felt that the terrain didn't requie them, however my group (none of who have ever done a trail race), all agree that it would be quite different if it was wet/muddy/splippery --we were fortunate for the July run , the rain came after the event and not before.

Would consider vulture as a follow up to toad, assuming toad went ok but vulture timing conflicts with my fall marathon.

If you haven't done a trail race, then you should mark your calendar for a a follow up in about January to register for toad. One advantage of toad over vulture is that it is 4 loops of 12.5 whereas vulture si 2 loops of 25. Prior to sigining up for fall marathon I had considered racing 2 loops of toad, remove chip and then if all was feeling ok, would run a 3rd loop easy as a way to wrok my way up towards an future 50k.

dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:29 am

Mid_Packer, that's a great idea on trying out 3 loops of the toad to test a longer distance. I will think about that for next year - thanks!

With respect to the bib issue, it sounds like the race organizers are ok with people transferring bibs, but they will not change the registration to update the participant name. Not a deal breaker, but it is something to factor in.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 am

Does VB sell out? I'm considering it as a post-Ironman thing, but don't want to commit until I know how I feel.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:52 pm

jonovision_man wrote:Does VB sell out? I'm considering it as a post-Ironman thing, but don't want to commit until I know how I feel.

jono

No, I don't think it ever has. There is a limit of 300, last year 200 runners did it total of 25 and 50 K.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:35 pm

Doonst wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:Does VB sell out? I'm considering it as a post-Ironman thing, but don't want to commit until I know how I feel.

jono

No, I don't think it ever has. There is a limit of 300, last year 200 runners did it total of 25 and 50 K.

Great, thanks. Very much looking forward to trying it, if my body is able! :)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”