The Official Haliburton Thread

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Re: The Official Haliburton Thread

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:32 am

A great weekend of racing in Haliburton! Congrats to all who came out and ran or supported the runners! The weather was perfect, although a bit hot around the noon hours.
It was nice again to meet maniacs, chat and get cheered on. Mini-T and Rabidchipmunk were camping beside the viking and I. Met Eric for the first time, nice to meet you, congrats on your first 50 miler and good luck with your training for next year's 100 miler - you know you want it. ;)
It was nice to see Nature Girl and WestGreyRunner Ron who ran the 50k both and Spaff who ran an amazing 100 miler! On his way to the finish, spaff was accompanied by Strider, so I kinda saw strider's headlamp and can add it to maniac sightings. :)
The viking and I had a good time up there and today we're off, licking our wounds and eating lots of protein. :lol:
Ultrarunner again

jdbegin
Johnny Miles

Postby jdbegin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:06 pm

Does anyone have any idea what the elevation gain is for the 50 mile loop at Haliburton?
JD

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:41 pm

jdbegin wrote:Does anyone have any idea what the elevation gain is for the 50 mile loop at Haliburton?

Wasn't it 20 miles downhill & 30 miles uphill? ;)

It was a fantastic weekend for everyone that I saw (and met for the first time: NatureGirl, Eric, JD and the Striders). Although it was a tad warm Saturday afternoon for you guys out there. It was great to hang at aid station 2 for a while in the afternoon, you really get to see everyone out there and more than once with that damned lake loop! :twisted:

I got some funky video of the "walk" to the start line with the piper and the countdown and start of the race with the darkness and headlamps. I'll post a link once I get it off my camera.

The Haliburton Forest is really a magical place, and I'm so happy that all my maniacal friends had such an amazing weekend.

Now.. get those race reports going people! :shifty:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:27 am

Mini-T, it was a pleasure to hang out with you and Rabid this weekend. Good times. Hey, next time you hear someone talk about wanting to do a dirty 100, send them my contact info. I'm available to help them with the visualization. The post-race visualization, that is. :lol:

Okay, I posted my Haliburton Report.
Ultrarunner again

jdbegin
Johnny Miles

Postby jdbegin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:05 am

UltraQueenga wrote:... Hey, next time you hear someone talk about wanting to do a dirty 100, send them my contact info. I'm available to help them with the visualization. The post-race visualization, that is. :lol:

Ah! I must admit your descriptions were VERY graphic, including the amount of Metamucil required. :shock: Very instructive.
JD

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:22 pm

soooo how long does it usually take for the results to be posted?
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:00 am

It usually takes a little while as I believe Helen is still up in the Forest and probably still removing the course markers....big job.

And from what I heard from her summer neighbour, hopefully taking the time to enjoy her favourite post-Haliburton activity......falling asleep on the couch with a content smile on her face and a glass of red wine in her hand. She is a class act.
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:40 am

spaff wrote:It usually takes a little while as I believe Helen is still up in the Forest and probably still removing the course markers....big job.

And from what I heard from her summer neighbour, hopefully taking the time to enjoy her favourite post-Haliburton activity......falling asleep on the couch with a content smile on her face and a glass of red wine in her hand. She is a class act.

She sure is.

I didn' realise she was the one who does that too. Lots of work. Amazing woman.

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:56 pm

For those who find themselves missing the Forest, Keith has posted a video of his race and adventures from the weekend... http://thisultralife.blogspot.com/2009/ ... of-fu.html
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

_Eric_
Tom Longboat

Postby _Eric_ » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Cool! You can see me at 20:00min.
I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more...

-Chuck Palahniuk

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:36 pm

That was great! Especially the 'foot'age. Good insight into what it`s like.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Preliminary results are up on the OUSER site. 23 finishers out of 40 in the 100 miler. Usually about 60% finish.
Ultrarunner again

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:53 pm

Updated results and photos are up on the OUSER site. Check out the sky and Kennissis Lake in the background of the Friday night shots. :drool:
Ultrarunner again

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:12 pm

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:45 pm

Great Pics NG...and what an honour to run with The Queen :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:03 pm

Congratulations to all those who were there. The lead-up to the race was also fun from the sidelines. There was all this talk about bears, and I thought I'd post this little paragraph from the advert for another race in Montana:

"2009 GRIZZLY MARATHON (posted 7/15): The Grizzly Marathon will be held August 1st on the Rocky Mountain Front, which is on the east side of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex (Le Grizz is run on the west side). There's a good chance to actually see Grizzlies. Other big game is common in this pristine area. Step out of your vehicle and into the food chain. A great opportunity to train your mind and body for Le Grizz. For information visit http://www.grizzlymarathon.com/. "

Hahaha you gotta luv the part about the food chain.

Ron
coyote jogger

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”