Hunter not guilty in trail death

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Hunter not guilty in trail death

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:57 am

Man shoots deer, stray pellet kills hiker.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/art ... death?bn=1

I have tremendous sympathy for both parties... neither was doing anything wrong, just an accident.

With the large populaton in the Toronto area, I don't see how you can safely have multi-use trails and hunting in the same areas... there are just too many people, this kind of thing is inevitable. Some of the solutions proposed make sense, ie. having certain days designated for hunting, others for trail use... or different areas entirely. But I expect something will have to change.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Re: Hunter not guilty in trail death

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:21 am

How terribly tragic. :(
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:22 am

This hunter should have been convicted.

I handle firearms on a regular basis (part of the job) and you NEVER pull the trigger unless you are sure of your surroundings - that and shooting a deer (a buck no less) with a shot gun is cruel, as it will most likely prolong the suffering of the animal (wound verses kill the animal).

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:57 am

So I'm not a hunter, but I just wonder how you could ever be entirely certain in a forest that there is nothing behind the thing you're shooting? Especially if you're using buckshot... that's an interesting point you make, surely it's more dangerous than a rifle shot.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

clocker
Bill Crothers

Postby clocker » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:03 am

I have lived in a remote area since 1991 and we see a lot of pressure from hunters. I enjoy hunting more than killing. I'll hunt with a camera as willingly as a firearm, but I'm also a wild food lover.

Our local (Manitoba) CBC radio noon show has been carrying stories of rural folks and their encounters with hunters and it's not been a pretty tale.

I have been moved to rage on a number of occasions over hunting practices. Once when my horses were being stalked and on another occasion when people fired toward our house while being unable to resist the lure of some sharp tail grouse. They were firing high powered rifles. Like there would be anything left to eat! Our neighbour has bullet holes in the front of his house from this type of "sportsman."

I have no sympathy for the hunter. None. I don't know the particulars of this case, but I really don't care either. If these folks were not hunting each other, then the burden of responsibility has to rest firmly with the hunter. Like he didn't know how far a shot travels and can remain dangerous? Please.

Like driving, I think the standards for permission to carry a fire arm are far too lax. Seemingly here, it's not an activity that attracts the brightest bulbs in the pack. Our evenings are rife with "sportsmen" that creep along lonely country roads in their vehicles at dusk, hunting from the road illegally. In the spring I've seen them blowing ducks out of the ditches when it's so far out of season it's sad. The mentoring is virtually lost to a redneck element that has a flagrant disregard for the law. I'm fed up with the low standards of conduct and the culture surrounding these types of "sportsmen."

Our conservation officers are MIA. When we first came here I participated in their programs to prevent incidents and promote good hunting practices. I was very disappointing to find that keeping paper work to a minimum and avoiding conflict seemed to have a much higher priority than taking any action to support the law.

I haven't had a rifle and scope pointed at me while I was running this year, but it's been known to happen. Every time I run, I run out in the open on municipal roads and I feel that I'm taking my life in my hands every time I do this through the hunting season.

I can't imagine hunting in a multi use area.

Done, and very angry to hear this news.
Ian
Hostility is a psychic boomerang

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:21 am

+1 eme and clocker.

I'm no longer a hunter but I used to be, and where I come from we had a saying that there's no such thing as a hunting accident. If you can't be 100% sure of what's going to happen with your shot, you don't take it. Full stop.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:23 am

I can't really comment on the hunting aspect because I have no experience with it. But I do find it scary and shocking that hunting and hiking are even allowed in the same areas!! :shock:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:37 am

Turd Ferguson wrote:+1 eme and clocker.

I'm no longer a hunter but I used to be, and where I come from we had a saying that there's no such thing as a hunting accident. If you can't be 100% sure of what's going to happen with your shot, you don't take it. Full stop.

+2

I also echo exactly what clocker and eme said. I have guns (at my parent's farm). I have never used them hunting, just target practice. You NEVER take a shot unless you are positive where it will go. My dad talks and dreams hunting and if he were reading this, he would totally agree what eme and clocker said. Not only did the courts lose the opportunity to hold this hunter responsible for careless hunting and taking the life of this hiker, but they also lost the opportunity to make an example to all the even more careless hunters out there.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:51 am

La wrote:I can't really comment on the hunting aspect because I have no experience with it. But I do find it scary and shocking that hunting and hiking are even allowed in the same areas!! :shock:

+1
especially since i've run along that area many times and i take my daughter hiking along the simcoe trails too.
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:02 pm

Trail Child Carrie wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:+1 eme and clocker.

+2

I also echo exactly what clocker and eme said. I have guns (at my parent's farm). I have never used them hunting, just target practice. You NEVER take a shot unless you are positive where it will go. My dad talks and dreams hunting and if he were reading this, he would totally agree what eme and clocker said. Not only did the courts lose the opportunity to hold this hunter responsible for careless hunting and taking the life of this hiker, but they also lost the opportunity to make an example to all the even more careless hunters out there.

I just finished a meeting with a client who is a hunter. When I told him about this news story he had the same reaction as the people above.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:31 pm

eme wrote:This hunter should have been convicted.

I handle firearms on a regular basis (part of the job) and you NEVER pull the trigger unless you are sure of your surroundings - that and shooting a deer (a buck no less) with a shot gun is cruel, as it will most likely prolong the suffering of the animal (wound verses kill the animal).

Well said!
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:33 pm

This is why hunting should be prohibited on all public lands, all the time. It goes against the fundamental "code" of parks and public conservancy: that any one visitor's use of the space does not inhibit another user's enjoyment of that same space. You can't mine, you can't clear cut, you can't build... why can you hunt? Why can one or two users effectively monopolize huge swaths of space for hours at a time? A mountain biker can't force other users to be on guard (with potential life-or-death consequences) for a kilometre in all directions. A hiker or trail runner can't. An angler can't. Why does one particular type of user get that privilege?

Private property is a different story.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:44 pm

dgrant wrote:This is why hunting should be prohibited on all public lands, all the time. It goes against the fundamental "code" of parks and public conservancy: that any one visitor's use of the space does not inhibit another user's enjoyment of that same space. You can't mine, you can't clear cut, you can't build... why can you hunt? Why can one or two users effectively monopolize huge swaths of space for hours at a time? A mountain biker can't force other users to be on guard (with potential life-or-death consequences) for a kilometre in all directions. A hiker or trail runner can't. An angler can't. Why does one particular type of user get that privilege?

That works in the inhabited parts of the country, but once you get away from the inhabited parts into areas that are 99.99% crown lands, its a different story. In most of the country, public lands are not the same thing as parks and conservation lands.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:51 pm

dgrant wrote:This is why hunting should be prohibited on all public lands, all the time. It goes against the fundamental "code" of parks and public conservancy: that any one visitor's use of the space does not inhibit another user's enjoyment of that same space. You can't mine, you can't clear cut, you can't build... why can you hunt? Why can one or two users effectively monopolize huge swaths of space for hours at a time? A mountain biker can't force other users to be on guard (with potential life-or-death consequences) for a kilometre in all directions. A hiker or trail runner can't. An angler can't. Why does one particular type of user get that privilege?

Perhaps, 'cause they are the only group that carries shotguns !!! :? :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:57 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:

That works in the inhabited parts of the country, but once you get away from the inhabited parts into areas that are 99.99% crown lands, its a different story. In most of the country, public lands are not the same thing as parks and conservation lands.

Same principle, whether it's High Park or Kluane. I can't just walk in, rope off a huge area, and announce "This is mine. Your safety and enjoyment here is in my hands for the next 4 hours." That's what hunters basically do.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:10 pm

dgrant wrote:Same principle, whether it's High Park or Kluane. I can't just walk in, rope off a huge area, and announce "This is mine. Your safety and enjoyment here is in my hands for the next 4 hours." That's what hunters basically do.

Here's a picture of me in Kluane. I hope that helps clear things up.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:57 pm

I think that if you are going running in any area during the fall hunting season, you should wear orange - at the very least! Why this woman seems so against wearing orange is beyond my comprehension.
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:01 pm

trixiee wrote:I think that if you are going running in any area during the fall hunting season, you should wear orange - at the very least! Why this woman seems so against wearing orange is beyond my comprehension.

She's obviously not a Maniac :wink: :lol:

I have no problem wearing Orange...I still do believe that hunters need to know exactly what the target is before opening fire.

Having said that I stay away from hiking in areas where I know there will be hunters during hunting season.

This article made me worry about running the K&P trail on Sunday but my co-worker tells me that at this point it's "bow" season where the hunter has to be 25 feet (or was that metres) from the target so I should be safe.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:21 pm

I have never understood the lure of hunting - being a more urban/suburban type of girl, but I have to agree with the above. The hunter needs to be responsible for any shot coming from his/her firearm.

Hmmm then again Dick Cheney wasn't charged with anything when he shot his hunting buddy! :lol: :lol:

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:30 pm

purdy65 wrote:I have never understood the lure of hunting - being a more urban/suburban type of girl, but I have to agree with the above. The hunter needs to be responsible for any shot coming from his/her firearm.

Hmmm then again Dick Cheney wasn't charged with anything when he shot his hunting buddy! :lol: :lol:

Lisa

Wasn't his hunting buddy a lawyer though? Fair game.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:33 pm

Darth Tater wrote:
purdy65 wrote:I have never understood the lure of hunting - being a more urban/suburban type of girl, but I have to agree with the above. The hunter needs to be responsible for any shot coming from his/her firearm.

Lisa

Wasn't his hunting buddy a lawyer though? Fair game.

Hmmm True that I guess!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:56 pm

According to the media report, the hunter saw something moving, took it for a deer, and fired his shotgun. I lived in Tottenham for a year and ran in the reforestation area.
1. There is a subdivision of 168 house (I counted on google maps) within 400 meters of the area. There is hunting in the area? Who thought that would be a good idea?
2. Deer normally don't like humans. I'm an exception. I have run with deer 30 meters away. I think they thought it was fun. I see them 2 - 3 times per week, so maybe they are used to me. If you are a hunter, do you really expect to find deer 500 meters from 168 houses? I don't think the hunter was from the Tottenham area (this is worded not to offend the unbalanced in Toronto).
3. He fired his gun at something that was moving? Does this not suggest more training/education is required? I don't see this as an accident involving an innocent hunter.

This is similar to letting your baby play in a box of handgrenades. I think it is time for us to realize that hunting in southern Ontario requires skill, knowledge and an adherence to safe practices.

I now understand why my co-workers ask me to run with antlers during hunting season.
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:09 pm

purdy65 wrote:

This was hotly debated in the legal community at the time - arguably the Vice President can't be charged with a crime while in office, only impeached. If he'd killed the guy they probably would have charged him and it would have been quite the debate whether he'd be immune from prosecution or not.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:16 pm

Chainsaw Baby wrote:According to the media report, the hunter saw something moving, took it for a deer, and fired his shotgun.

That is frightening.
And once again confirms why I won't hike on Crown Land with C-Moss during hunting season.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:38 am

A couple of weeks ago in NS a horse (family pet ) had to be put down/died from being shot from one or more people on an ATV who they suspect were hunting at dusk, or during the night. They figured the hunter(s) mistook the horse for a deer. Another one of their horses had also been shot in the neck but it was under the mane and they only noticed it a day or two later when they saw the horse having trouble reaching down with its neck.

I don't get the hunting thing either. I had a co-worker who shot a very small deer a number of years ago. He was saying how he hid upwind and saw the deer wandering toward an open spot and waited bla, bla bla until he could shoot it. I'm thinking "You're proud you out-thought an animal with an IQ of 1? Good for you!"
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”