Creemore Vertical Challenge

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Re: Creemore Vertical Challenge

Postby Doonst » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:24 am

Robbie-T wrote:What app did you track that with Doonst?

I need to find me some purple.

http://www.mapmyhike.com/hike/canada/on/creemore/570468441

As you make a longer route, the scale changes and therefore so does the elevation. Egg Nog Jog hill shows 10%, then down to 5 % when you write in the whole loop.
http://www.mapmyhike.com/route/ca/on/halton%20hills/889127755767881462

Check out the fly-by for Creemore, there's a lot of road! I know what shoes I'm wearing, unless it rains every day next week.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Just got back from checking out the racecourse.
:shock:
There's steep hills, there's long hills....couldn't find any of these purported 'flat' sections. :lol: I didn't venture onto any trails.
Doonst....yes, lots of roads....dirt roads. Like you, if it stays dry, I'll be wearing roadies.

On a side note.....did you know that not one insurance company would offer me a limited term policy on quads and achilles. Something to do with it being 'self-inflicted damage'.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:13 pm

Doonst wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:What app did you track that with Doonst?

I need to find me some purple.

http://www.mapmyhike.com/hike/canada/on/creemore/570468441

As you make a longer route, the scale changes and therefore so does the elevation. Egg Nog Jog hill shows 10%, then down to 5 % when you write in the whole loop.
http://www.mapmyhike.com/route/ca/on/halton%20hills/889127755767881462

Check out the fly-by for Creemore, there's a lot of road! I know what shoes I'm wearing, unless it rains every day next week.

Creemore makes EggNog look flat and fast...
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

jdbegin
Johnny Miles

Postby jdbegin » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Doonst wrote:It doesn't look that bad if you change the scale

Doonst, when you're running it next weekend, I bet you'll be thinking of my more dramatic graph and think: "Gee, that's EXACTLY how it feels!" :twisted:
JD

scottp
Bruce Kidd

Postby scottp » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Knee is iffy and no decent training in months...I'm in for 25...(no coffee mug this year!)

50 km
West Grey Runner
UltraQueenga
the viking
JD
ActiveGEJ
Maryka
Mega Mo

25 km
AirForceRunner
Doonst
Robbie-T
Scottp
hezzy

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi Scottp. Glad to hear you are in again this year. Let's have none of this "no coffee mug" nonsense... You know what the legs will do when they see the starting line! For the debate about shoes, and the "gentlemen" who mentioned something about rain all this week... I just finished cutting grass on most of the trails and weed wacking the swamp... NOT pretty! May I suggest either trail shoes or rubber boots with a snorkel?

Ah! Let's think positive and wear roadies!
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

jdbegin
Johnny Miles

Postby jdbegin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:26 am

Chainsaw Baby wrote:Ah! Let's think positive and wear roadies!

... and white socks! :lol:
JD

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:28 am

The trails are mucky down here too, as much as I've seen for this time of year. Looks like we will get a few sunny days leading up to the race.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:39 am

Don’t forget about “Valley”, if were not in muck up to our knees I would be quite surprised. Last year it was pretty dry, the year before not so much but this year it’s going to be different for sure. Expect to get wet and very dirty!
Last edited by West Grey Runner on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:26 pm

West Grey Runner wrote:Don’t forget about “Valley”, if were not up to muck to our knees for at least 100 meters I would be quite surprised. Last year it was pretty dry, the year before not so much but this year it’s going to be different for sure. Expect to get wet and very dirty!

I think I'm going to REALLY enjoy this race!! :D :D :D

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:37 pm

50 km
West Grey Runner
UltraQueenga
the viking
JD
ActiveGEJ
Maryka
Mega Mo
AlfiefromPickering (I'll make my final decision on Saturday morning :topic: )

25 km
AirForceRunner
Doonst
Robbie-T
Scottp
hezzy
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:59 am

AlfiefromPickering wrote:50 km
West Grey Runner
UltraQueenga
the viking
JD
ActiveGEJ
Maryka
Mega Mo
AlfiefromPickering (I'll make my final decision on Saturday morning :topic: )

25 km
AirForceRunner
Doonst
Robbie-T
Scottp
hezzy

Only the RD can say for sure, but this race is capped at 200 entries, and there are 200 registrations confirmed on the registration website. I'd contact him before you make the trip up. Wouldn't want you to drive all that way and be disappointed.

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

-Jack Kerouac

-Smack

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks Airforce runner. Alf FP: RD for Creemore here. I'm afraid some of the land owners do not want more than 200 on their trails. The cap is reached, I cannot accept more (except for a land owner's brother (I'll call him ScottX), and my wife - I think you know the drill).

WGR: I hate to disappoint you, but I built a bridge through the valley swamp. It is knee deep in places. Knee deep of swamp mud laced with snakes I have yet to identify (just adding to the CVC image). On a strange note, Ken Day (lives beside the swamp) has been told there is OIL in the swamp area. If your brain is still working at 22K, check for the telltale multi-hue slicks.

It is starting to dry out. The course should be "fast" in about 2 months...

Oh! There is a 100 mile horse race on Thursday sharing part of the course. Hmmm... What are those horse/human races called? Ride and Tie?

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:20 pm

Chainsaw Baby wrote:Thanks Airforce runner. Alf FP: RD for Creemore here. I'm afraid some of the land owners do not want more than 200 on their trails. The cap is reached, I cannot accept more (except for a land owner's brother (I'll call him ScottX), and my wife - I think you know the drill).

WGR: I hate to disappoint you, but I built a bridge through the valley swamp. It is knee deep in places. Knee deep of swamp mud laced with snakes I have yet to identify (just adding to the CVC image). On a strange note, Ken Day (lives beside the swamp) has been told there is OIL in the swamp area. If your brain is still working at 22K, check for the telltale multi-hue slicks.

It is starting to dry out. The course should be "fast" in about 2 months...

Oh! There is a 100 mile horse race on Thursday sharing part of the course. Hmmm... What are those horse/human races called? Ride and Tie?

Thank you for the notification Pierre.
So, there is no way for me to register for the 50 K the same day of the race, even though, there are only 81 runners doing the 50 K?
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:41 pm

Hi AlfiefromPickering. The cap is for 25K (121) and 50K (81). I thought reaching the cap would be great, but try turning down 20+ people who would like to run Creemore - not a lot of fun. I'm dreading people who might show up for race-day registration. I'm going the change the Creemore page on OUSer to state "no race day registration". I've received some emails from people who did not realize there is race-day registration "unless the cap is reached".

Weather: It is currently 9 degrees! Too bad it will warm up on race day, although they have toned it down to a low of 16 and a high of 26. Forecasst calls for 23 at 11:00 (circa 25K finish) and 26 at 14:00 (good for sitting in the river).

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:45 pm

j
Last edited by AlfiefromPickering on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:37 am

AlfiefromPickering wrote:
Chainsaw Baby wrote:.......I'm dreading people who might show up for race-day registration. I'm going the change the Creemore page on OUSer to state "no race day registration". I've received some emails from people who did not realize there is race-day registration "unless the cap is reached".

Is there a chance, at least for this year, due to the confusion caused by the message of availability of "same-day registration" (I mean despite the fact that you clearly stated "unless the cap is reached") that you might bent your own rules and allow the few runners, who might appear at the site of the race on Saturday, to get registered and run?
If you do that, you won't have to dread anyone. Consider that the reality is that just a few additional people might me added, not thousands of runners.....

It's not about "allowing" the few runners who show up to race on Saturday.

There is an agreement with the owners of the property that Pierre doesn't own and has the use of for race day.
They don't wish to have the extra people on their property.

Would you rather he risk losing the ability to use the property that he has access to because he is respectful of their requests, or allow a few people who didn't register and hope to simply "slip in" on race day?
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:43 am

MINI-T wrote:
AlfiefromPickering wrote:
Chainsaw Baby wrote:.......I'm dreading people who might show up for race-day registration. I'm going the change the Creemore page on OUSer to state "no race day registration". I've received some emails from people who did not realize there is race-day registration "unless the cap is reached".

Is there a chance, at least for this year, due to the confusion caused by the message of availability of "same-day registration" (I mean despite the fact that you clearly stated "unless the cap is reached") that you might bent your own rules and allow the few runners, who might appear at the site of the race on Saturday, to get registered and run?
If you do that, you won't have to dread anyone. Consider that the reality is that just a few additional people might me added, not thousands of runners.....

It's not about "allowing" the few runners who show up to race on Saturday.

There is an agreement with the owners of the property that Pierre doesn't own and has the use of for race day.
They don't wish to have the extra people on their property.

Would you rather he risk losing the ability to use the property that he has access to because he is respectful of their requests, or allow a few people who didn't register and hope to simply "slip in" on race day?

That's why they have "caps" and "early registration" ... the early bird gets to run 50 friggin' KM's .... :shock: :wink: besides, he did say that there were only two other options to get in ... being his "wife" and/or "brother of one of the land owners " :shock: :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Chainsaw,
Just a quick shout out for organizing one heck of a race!! While I may hate you eternally for your course selection :lol: , this was one A1 class race. Small numbers, great volunteers, superb course markings....and that river at the end. A GODSEND!!
5 hrs ago, I was never doing this race again because it is punishing to those who neglect hill work (ME). Now....easily in my top 3 favorite races.
Thanks a bunch Chainsaw!! :D :D :D

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

-Jack Kerouac

-Smack

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:24 pm

AirForceRunner wrote:Chainsaw,
Just a quick shout out for organizing one heck of a race!! While I may hate you eternally for your course selection :lol: , this was one A1 class race. Small numbers, great volunteers, superb course markings....and that river at the end. A GODSEND!!
5 hrs ago, I was never doing this race again because it is punishing to those who neglect hill work (ME). Now....easily in my top 3 favorite races.
Thanks a bunch Chainsaw!! :D :D :D

Absolutely!! Awesome day, Thanks.
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:32 pm

Have to agree, other than the nasty course it was all good times! Thanks.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

jdbegin
Johnny Miles

Postby jdbegin » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:32 am

Doonst wrote:Have to agree, other than the nasty course it was all good times! Thanks.

And next year, you should do something about that heat. ;) I think you ordered too much.
JD

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:59 pm

Who was the guy taking photos on the course? Anyone know where/if they will be posted online?
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Robbie-T wrote:Who was the guy taking photos on the course? Anyone know where/if they will be posted online?

I don't know who that was, I saw a couple of guys or was it the same guy in several locations? Here's where they posted the last 3 years: http://ouser.org/photos.htm As with all things OUSer it can take time, weeks even.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Hey all. Thanks for the great feedback on the race. It was HOT! I just got in from breaking course (07:00 until 15:00) and cleaning up (15:00 until 20:45) and it was tough just walking the trails!

Last year was too cool for sitting in the river, so I wanted a cool morning and a hot afternoon... I think next year I'll ask for rain in the morning and sunny in the afternoon?

Dennis Campbell works with me at Honda, but is also a professional photographer who show his work in the Mad & Noisy Gallery in Creemore. He took shots at the start, then coming out of the second hill, then across the barley field. I will post low-res on OUSer. Hopefully there will be numbers (?) and if you email me, I will send you the high-res shots.

I will fix the race times (there are some glitches in the 25K times) tomorrow night, then post on OUSer soon thereafter. Some slower times for both the 25K (okay, Mike Tickner is a machine, so he ran the 25K one minute slower, in a time of 1:45) and Laurie McGrath wisely did not kill herself and ran about 15 minutes slower, in the heat. The quote of the day was by Christina Laflamme, who (I think) was second woman in the 50K: "This is no longer my favourite course".

I had a few people say that if you have a bad day at Creemore (50K), you add an hour to your time. Yesterday was a textbook study in the effects of hills, heat and high speed. Kudos on everyone who slogged it out in that heat.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”