ITT Mid_packer PB ?

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

ITT Mid_packer PB ?

Postby Mid_Packer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:17 am

It’s my first ITT so that makes it a PB. After resting on Sunday I'm feeling the sore quads coming on. Unlike many of you who said you were doing a 3-5 hour training run on Sunday I'm a bit more sore than Saturday night. Wasn't sore on Saturday and had intentions of running on Sunday but the downhill muscles are feeling like they did after Boston, and I ran too soon afterwards and turned that sore into injury.

So the report: Goal was to finish --did it. Goal 2 was to not be last---ok, passed that as well. I was last among the maniacs but that’s ok, you're all talented people. Finished in 3:51 right in the middle of the pack overall. Coming into this my longest run in the last month was 23-25 km, and that’s on the flat road. I’ve never done or seen what “technical trails” look like but I do now !

85 4204 Dave Hockin 3:51:06 SM50+ 17/32 74 7:14 2:10:45 Chatham

Wasn't sure about shoes the day before, my last trail--Sulphur I had sore feet--not enough cushioning. So added an extra insole from a pair or road shoes and they felt fine so that was the plan for the day. I have had hot spots on the balls of my feet in these shoes so I greased up before hand and planned on no shoe changes.

Temp for the day was as good as it gets in August, and with dry conditions that too must be a record. I can’t imagine doing the rocks and moss in wet conditions.

First Loop: I decided to take it easy knowing that everyone else has experience on the trail and I didn’t know what to expect. This wasn’t too bad, chatted with Kinga for bit before getting into the forest, was 2 spots ahead in the single track. Up ahead there was a slower runner and Kinga was telling him…. “toot toot, Ron you’re holding up the train…” I passed them to make room for Kinga and others but they got held up and stayed ahead back to the start. Felt good on this section, but thinking---if this is all down hill we must pay for it coming back—yep. Came out of the forest and ran with Viking for a bit on the road, doing about 5:06 pace back to the school.

Mrs Strider taking pics---thanks. On the way to the school I had decided to stop at car and grease up the hot stops. Took my time and lost a total of 3 minutes here. That’s fine by me, goal was to not be last and there were still people coming along.

You will see in the pics that I’m shirtless, I’ve got my camelbak, waist pouch (gels, salt, dry socks, Vaseline) as well as my Ipod. Quite a sight ! Didn’t use the pod and won’t take it next time. My camelbak is 3 litres and I started with about 2.5 of ice and water because I go thru a lot of fluid and didn’t know how far between aid stations. Even in this cooler temps I was still dehydrated afterward. Drank the 2.5 plus Gatorade each station plus fluids afterwards and on the drive home. Overall had 4-5 litres and was still down 4 pounds when I got home. No fluid output till after 6pm. Thank goodness it wasn’t 30c. Not sure when I got back from stage 1, likely in the 45 min range.

On the outward loop I was typically running with a group of 2-4 people so I didn’t need to find the blaze, just concentrate on foot placement. Despite this I stumbled 7 times (after a couple I started counting) of which 2 had me go down. The first was hand plant on nice soft dirt, just black hands. The second was trip over a 4 inch log on a single track with tall grass. Anyone remember that one? I was too close to the runner ahead and didn’t see it. The other stumbles were tired legs among the rocks so on the return I took it much easier on the rocky sections---not worth injury – in the middle of the forest.

I was running with “Vicki” on the outward. She finished in 3:41 so I lost 10 min relative to her on the return let. We left the turnaround at 2:11 or so. On outward stage I was running ups and downs except for the rocky sections. On the return-it was more walking. Uphill sections too steep and downhill I was concerned about a face plant downhill on the rocks. I was alone for parts of the return. Grey West Runner came and went and I was mostly just catching a few 7am starters and had a few 8am starters pass me.

Didn’t get lost but I did have a couple of very short detours where the rock didn’t show the trail very well.

At the finish sat with GWR at the fence and then worked through some leg cramps. The freeze was a nice treat from the kids. Checked some results. Things are pretty spread out at my time. Sheldon is 65th at 3:26 and I am 85th 25 minutes later.

Decided on the spot that I would downgrade Toad from 50k to 25k. I’ve had a day to think about it and I’ll stick to 50. It will be slow I’m sure but it will force me to a very long run 4 weeks before my marathon. Toad is much softer and provided the weather holds it will be a new PB for that course (ok, so it will be my first 50k on that course).

Happy trails everyone.

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Re: ITT Mid_packer PB ?

Postby trixiee » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:30 am

Nicely done for your first one! Thanks for writing a report!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:33 am

Mid_Packer wrote:Decided on the spot that I would downgrade Toad from 50k to 25k. I’ve had a day to think about it and I’ll stick to 50.

Atta boy. Great to meet you and you did REALLY well on your first ITT. You passed and smiled doing it.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:45 am

Very well done mid-packer! Wish I could have been there.

On Sunday I ran with Scott Garrett and Ken Moon who ran on Saturday. Sheldon, your time was pretty close to Scott's and Strider you probably ran close to Ken.
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:48 am

Looking at the times, Ken was running with Laurie? I passed them just after twiss road, but they kept pretty close behind me.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:51 am

I haven't looked at the results yet. You guys smoked it though!
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:37 am

Congrats on the PB Dave, you survived it! Hope you had a good experience, that's is as tough as it gets around here. It seems like you had quite a decent time going at the turnaround, and then lost a bit coming back. I sure know what that feels like from previous years. Good seeing you, and best of luck at the Toad!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:41 am

Great report, Dave! Congratulations! Glad you survived ITT without major injuries. A lot of people rolled ankles, took some bad tumbles (including the Viking) and finished bruised. All in all a good day.

Yeah, I remember that log in the tall grass. I was wondering how many people got tripped there. :lol: Congratulations, you were one of them.

Good luck at the Toad. The Toad is much much tamer than ITT, but way hillier.
Hope you have a good fall racing season!
Ultrarunner again

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:49 am

You ran and finished ITT, it isn't easy by anyone's standards, and it will make most trails races look a little easier to you from now on.

Good work, nice meeting you.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:52 am

Great job Dave! From what I know about the ITT it is one tough trail run. Thanks for the report, I will seriously consider this next year if it does run again.

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:57 am

Sounds like an awesome race. I'm bummed I couldn't run it. Hopefully the new race will be just as good (if it is indeed the last year for this one).

Based on your description of the course and your race, I don't think you'll have any problems finishing the 50K toad. I ran 25K at the toad training run in around 3:30, and I would imagine my time for ITT would have been at least 5 hours just based on other people's times etc. The toad is a lot more runnable. Just pace yourself, and you'll do fine.
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

johnny
Percy Williams

Postby johnny » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:32 am

Hey great job. This was a crazy hard course and it was also my first time running it. Too bad this was the last year for this run, it would have been great to try it a second time.

Cheers!
John
Last edited by johnny on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b_squared
Bill Crothers

ITT Mid_packer PB ?

Postby b_squared » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:24 pm

Nice run mid_packer. Congrats. Would you do it with all the gear??

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:40 pm

Nice work. You'll get turned into a hardcore trail runner if you don't watch yourself...

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:41 pm

ian wrote:Nice work. You'll get turned into a hardcore trail runner if you don't watch yourself...

another one bites the dust...

good run!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:54 pm

Congratulations Dave :clap: You were looking very cool with camelbak, waist pouch, Ipod and all other stuff...
Good luck with your 50K at Toad - I will be watching as this is the distance I am planning to attack in the near future.
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:43 pm

“toot toot, Ron you’re holding up the train…”
Thanks, I forgot about that. It made me laugh at he moment and again when I read your report.

“Didn’t use the pod”
Me too , it really wasn’t the music listening kind of trail …110% concentration was required most of the time.

OK on the Toad, it may be longer but the Toads trail are like a groomed trail compared to ITT.

Look forward to seeing you in October Dave!

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:35 am

Congrats on your race, solid solid performance!
Good luck with your Toad training Dave!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”