Creemore 100 miler?!?

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
hezzy
Tom Longboat

Creemore 100 miler?!?

Postby hezzy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:47 am

Just hopped onto the OUS and came across a link to this new race. I am intrigued:

http://www.ouser.org/races/CH_100M.pdf

I would imagine you'd have to be pretty hardcore to run this race, as it seems you'd need to be very self-sufficient..
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Creemore 100 miler?!?

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:26 am

fun! I love that it's free... but still has aid stations. Must be donated... and/or they're making it a test run for a future race.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:01 am

Hmmm, that location seems so familiar. Sounds like a Chainsaw Baby production. Man that creek will be cool in the end of November.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:11 am

I might be convinced, depending on the amount of Creemore Springs beer that's available at the finish :D :lol:
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:14 am

It's a Fat Ass race, so, yeah, you have to be self-sufficient, but that doesn't mean we won't have a huge party at the start/finish, with a potluck aid station and a bunch of crazies running around in loops. :D

We're signed up.
Ultrarunner again

Maryka
Tom Longboat

Postby Maryka » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:49 pm

Cool! And Creemore's less than an hour's drive for me so very convenient.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 pm

Ummm a volennteer oppertunity?

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Annelizabeth wrote:Ummm a volennteer oppertunity?

my thoughts exactly.... :think:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Annelizabeth wrote:Ummm a volennteer oppertunity?

Very much so.
And I am personally giving away a 1-year subscription to Trail Runner Magazine to a volunteer who helps out at the event.
Ultrarunner again

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:27 pm

Nice touch Ultra Queen! Volunteers would be greatly appreciated. Just the concept of running 100 miles in Creemore, at the end of November has "Hold My Beer" written all over it!

Background: A bunch of us were asked to find a suitable location to hold a 100 mile race for Monica, who needs one on November 27, for her quest to run 30 in 2010. It's not easy! The indoor track at Base Borden would require running 732 laps... There should be no more than 2 aid stations or volunteers (dressed in red) freeze to death. Ideally, the course should be downhill all the way...

The beauty of a 100 miler from a volunteer's perspective is that you can show up early in the morning, in the afternoon, or late at night! The base aid station (I converted the garage into my daughter's bedroom) has a sauna, so the only hardship is waking up to assist the runners... I hope to set up a Franklin stove at the 5K aid station... The trick is to find the right balance between comfortable and not too comfortable. If you are thinking of volunteering, bring your running gear as "pacing" the runners for a loop or two is encouraged.

Note the course is 60% road. This is in case there is snow. If there is more than a foot of snow, an alternate course will be used. The planned course has 4 little hills. Now, I got in big trouble at the Creemore snow run for calling them little hills, but none are more than 500 meters long... The downhills are LONG, including the trail with the beaver dam, which is run backwards relative to the Creemore Vertical Challenge.
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:31 pm

is the road paved or gravel?

will you do it again next year? :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:49 pm

Sounds AWESOME Pierre!

How long is the loop? And I'm definitely in for volunteer duty with a bit of pacing (slllllooooowly) if required.

Trac
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:39 pm

MINI-T wrote:Sounds AWESOME Pierre!

How long is the loop? And I'm definitely in for volunteer duty with a bit of pacing (slllllooooowly) if required.

Trac

Loops are 10.8k.
Here are a few more details.

I think the roads are country roads. Right Pierre?

Downhill all the way...

:liar:
Ultrarunner again

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:46 pm

Awesome is the word. Monica needs a race, so let's put on a race! That's just wonderful. :D
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:11 pm

The course starts on pavement (flat 2.2K) then, for those of you who are intimate with the CVC, dirt road, ending at hill #1 (This sounds like an oxymoron, but you run uphill to the bottom of hill #1). Then a trail, dirt road, Airport road and the Ganaraska trail (basically, the first 7K of CVC run backwards). For those of you who have not run CVC (Creemore Vertical Challenge), or have blocked all memories of running the races (I sympathize), the first 2.2K is flat and paved, then dirt road up 2 hills to about 4K, then downhill along an easy trail. The final section of the trail has a beaver dam, then uphill to a dirt road (keep going uphill), then turn left and downhill baby! Turn left on Airport road, left on Ganaraska trail, back to my house (start/finish).

I am hoping that people will make guest appearances throughout the day (and hopefully night), run a loop or two with whoever needs pacing, then help out at an aid station for a while. This should be a gas, but bring a change of warm clothes. It can be -20 in late November in Creemore. Normally, it is -5 at night and +5 during the day.

Some familiar names signed up! 13 so far.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:40 pm

I had another vision....

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/9BR9gdKDCKVyBVqJ

Ok , why am I actually thinking about doing this...well as guest appearance anyway! Its rare that we don’t have snow by the end of November so things could be quite interesting. I did the snow run last year so I think it’s the exact same loop. Not too much elevation but you will really get to know Valley. Speaking of Valley it was allot easier to run when it was buried under 2 feet of snow!

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:59 pm

West Grey Runner wrote:I had another vision....

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/9BR9gdKDCKVyBVqJ

Ok , why am I actually thinking about doing this...well as guest appearance anyway! Its rare that we don’t have snow by the end of November so things could be quite interesting. I did the snow run last year so I think it’s the exact same loop. Not too much elevation but you will really get to know Valley. Speaking of Valley it was allot easier to run when it was buried under 2 feet of snow!

Hey, who knows, with a bit of luck your wish might come true and we'll be trudging through snow and maybe even have a snow ball fight at the aid station. :lol:
Ultrarunner again

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:16 pm

24 signed up??? I understand Ultra Queen and Viking signing up (Wow! Am I going to pay for this!) but do these runners understand what it's like to run in Creemore, in late November? I warned the guy from Alaska that it might be cold!

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:51 am

Chainsaw Baby wrote:24 signed up??? I understand Ultra Queen and Viking signing up (Wow! Am I going to pay for this!) but do these runners understand what it's like to run in Creemore, in late November? I warned the guy from Alaska that it might be cold!

Wow! Not sure everyone signed up to run the full 100miles, but they sure signed up for some degree of punishment. :D
Ultrarunner again

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi all.

Just a note about volunteers. Bernie (Bernadette Kennedy, the illustrious Race director for the Creemore Horizontal 100 Miler) will be trolling for volunteers once she returns from her R2R2R attempt of the Grand Canyon this week. As per a previous entry, volunteers can take advantage of the course by pacing for a loop or 3 as well as staffing an aid stations. Curly (my dear wife) suggested that my idea of telling volunteers they would take a 30 hour shift would not be received that well, and mentioned a much less exciting option of 4 - 6 hours. An interesting idea!

If you would like to be part of this wild and crazy endeavor, please consider what time/date would be suitable for you and contact Bernie at berniekennedy@sympatico.ca or me at Pierre_Marcoux@hcm.honda.com. This is a great opportunity to see some of Ontario's great LD runners, such as Viking (did he beat Ultra Queen at Hali???), Ultra Queen (I'm dead), Monica, Charlotte and more (wish my name fit in this crowd)!

Note: Curly invited Ray Zahab, who will be at a conference in Toronto that weekend, but I think the planets need to align before Ray can free up time to attend. I cannot imagine adhering to his schedule!

Details: www.run100s.com/Creemore100.pdf

Start: Saturday, November 27 at 06:00
End: Sunday, November 28 at 12:00 (noon)

There will be a celebration for the runners on Sunday morning, but I think it starts early for the volunteers (06:05 Saturday morning?)

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:45 pm

I've signed up for the event in hopes that I can complete the distance second time around. Plus, like you said Pierre, there are some pretty amazing runners who are going to be there. Looking forward to it!
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Wow, time flies, we're almost halfway through October and November is upon us...

Just a quick note. The organizers of Creemore 100 are looking for more volunteers who want to come out for the event. The evening and overnight shifts could use a few more people, the daytime shifts are ok. This is a chance to watch some great ultrarunners like Monica Scholz in action, plus there will be a party atmosphere with all the support folks and crew and the Creemore brewery being so close. ;)
Email the RDs listed on http://www.run100s.com/Creemore100.pdf.
Ultrarunner again

trailzen
Johnny Miles

Postby trailzen » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:02 pm

So want to go ...but I'm out of holidays and I think calling in sick to volenteer at a race might be grounds for divorce.

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:46 am

I've decided not to run it but I think I'll come to help out. Should be fun!
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:41 pm

Hey all. this is late, but tomorrow, about 15 of the CH 100M crazies will be running the course at either 8 or 9 AM. Today, the famous John M. ran 4 loops of the course and gave it his blessing! He gets a 40% discount off the entry fee for doing so, but it is well worth his endorsement...

For a slightly more tangible perq (toasted bagels and some cheese and crackers), he even agreed to claim that the course did not have any significant hills and was, as advertised, "mostly downhill". Viking and UQueen, I need you to also "claim" there are no hills of discertion and that the 4th hill is indeed an optical illusion...

There are 2 short descents that will be greasy in the rain tomorrow, but should be no problem for anyone who can fly!

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”