gah.

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Re: gah.

Postby Nature Girl » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:05 am

double gah.

I am just getting back into the swing of things and am antsy for a race too but can't go to any of the Oct. ones. So between now and Nov. 27 I'm on my own :( .

A trip to Ontario would be an awesome x-mas prez from mom/santa!
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:40 am

OK so I have to ask - what do you guys mean by a "fat-asser"?

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:47 am

"Fat a$$" runs are unofficial races, sort of... There is a Club Fat A$$ in many areas.

People run a set distance, but there are no bibs, no entry fees, no medals, no official support, course insurance, markings, nothing.

Some FA runs turn into little events, people bring their own food and drinks and the whole thing turns into a potluck meal with some running involved... :lol: Lots of fun.
Ultrarunner again

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:03 am

UltraQueen: Some FA runs turn into little events, people bring their own food and drinks and the whole thing turns into a potluck meal with some running involved... Lots of fun.

This is an understatement! My perspective of the Jerseyville 100 miler was that it was 32 meals interspersed with 5K runs...

UltraS:

Check the OUS schedule and plan a 2 week vacation that starts and ends with a race in Ontario. Many races have inexpensive camping (free at Creemore). If you can get a small group together, you could also try running a chunk of the Bruce Trail or other trails.

Trail running has seen a significant increase in the last 3 years. In Ontario, the races are doing well and it is no longer the huge gamble it used to be to put on an event. Gamble: Losing thousands of dollars due to the cost of putting on a race for 23 people. Convince a few people in Manitoba to organize a race. Make sure their love of running far exceeds their intelligence... They should not be informed about the workload until after they agree to host a race!
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:06 am

Chainsaw Baby wrote:UltraS:

Check the OUS schedule and plan a 2 week vacation that starts and ends with a race in Ontario. Many races have inexpensive camping (free at Creemore). If you can get a small group together, you could also try running a chunk of the Bruce Trail or other trails.

ha! sounds fun, but 2 weeks of dog boarding at $25/night is too much... I might be able to do ONE week though, with races on each end (would have to plan that well!) or I would just come out for a special event, say Sulpher Springs.

Trail running has seen a significant increase in the last 3 years. In Ontario, the races are doing well and it is no longer the huge gamble it used to be to put on an event. Gamble: Losing thousands of dollars due to the cost of putting on a race for 23 people. Convince a few people in Manitoba to organize a race. Make sure their love of running far exceeds their intelligence... They should not be informed about the workload until after they agree to host a race!

Manitoba wouldn't help me. I'm in BC. :lol:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:25 am

Wow, you have expensive kennels out there. Ours recently raised their rates to $16/night.

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:41 am

ultraslacker wrote:ha! sounds fun, but 2 weeks of dog boarding at $25/night is too much... I might be able to do ONE week though, with races on each end (would have to plan that well!) or I would just come out for a special event, say Sulpher Springs.

Yay! I think I may be able to make Sulphur :)
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:07 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:Wow, you have expensive kennels out there. Ours recently raised their rates to $16/night.

$25 is the cheapest! and closest to home.

I've had a friend watch him a few times instead of the kennel (way more fun for the puppy!) but I insisted on paying my friend the same as the kennel, because my dog can be a bit of a handful. :lol:

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:07 pm

Nature Girl wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:ha! sounds fun, but 2 weeks of dog boarding at $25/night is too much... I might be able to do ONE week though, with races on each end (would have to plan that well!) or I would just come out for a special event, say Sulpher Springs.

Yay! I think I may be able to make Sulphur :)

yeah I thought I could do the 50 miler there (though there is lots of time to talk me into attempting the 100! lol). but santa has to come through for me first.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Sulphur Springs is the first big race of the season, with a 100, 50, 50k, 25k, 10k. Lots of maniacs go there, we should be able to sort out your lift to/from airport and accommodation. There's free camping at Sulphur, too, great event and a good place to take a kick at the 100 miler can. Just sayin'... :D
If you can sort out your doggie sitter and your flight, you're taken care of once you're here.
Ultrarunner again

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:19 pm

UltraQueenga wrote:Sulphur Springs is the first big race of the season, with a 100, 50, 50k, 25k, 10k. Lots of maniacs go there, we should be able to sort out your lift to/from airport and accommodation. There's free camping at Sulphur, too, great event and a good place to take a kick at the 100 miler can. Just sayin'... :D
If you can sort out your doggie sitter and your flight, you're taken care of once you're here.

ultra monk might have her thumb out.....
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:55 pm

ultra monk wrote:
UltraQueenga wrote:Sulphur Springs is the first big race of the season, with a 100, 50, 50k, 25k, 10k. Lots of maniacs go there, we should be able to sort out your lift to/from airport and accommodation. There's free camping at Sulphur, too, great event and a good place to take a kick at the 100 miler can. Just sayin'... :D

Ultra monk should consider a 100 miler, as she`s been doing some serious distances and times... And as I said, Sulphur Springs is a good one: groomed trails with very little technical stuff over a constantly rolling course.
Ultrarunner again

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:17 pm

UltraQueenga wrote:
ultra monk wrote:

Ultra monk should consider a 100 miler, as she`s been doing some serious distances and times... And as I said, Sulphur Springs is a good one: groomed trails with very little technical stuff over a constantly rolling course.

ahem....on her own, UM has no crew for a 100. She is scared to be out on a course by herself in the middle of the night. She is not serious about a 100 anyway because she had a tremendous foot pain after 80 in her March 24 hour run. Anyway, its complicated. :)

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:35 pm

Tremendous foot pain after 80 is the name of the game. :lol: UM should consider less painful surfaces to run on...

As for being scared during the night at Sulphur, well, the most scary creatures besides zonked-out ultrarunners are the raccoons, especially the one-eyed raccoon I saw last spring on a training run there. This is not bear country...
Ultrarunner again

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:40 pm

UltraQueenga wrote: This is not bear country...

"We can't stop here. This is bear country."

My second Hunter S. Thompson reference in two days.

OK, seriously, I did once see a bear near Sulphur Springs (back in the 90s when I summered in Ontario and I'd ride my bike from Burlington along the rail trail to Jerseyville) and my friends who used to live on Lions Club Road reported bears from time to time as well.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:12 pm

Really, wildlife at Sulphur consists of deer, raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks and rednecks (who drive out and dump stuff in the conservation area, then do donuts on the big lawn by the Lions Club).

Seriously, I'm sure bears might have wandered down there some time ago, but I doubt anyone saw any lately. With all the subdivisions and highway traffic in the area, this not bear country anymore...
Ultrarunner again

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Hunter S. Thompson was in Las Vegas.....far scareier there.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:43 pm

OK back to the dog kennel thing...

i spent $25 a day for daycare..... ummmm yah so ??????

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Annelizabeth wrote:OK back to the dog kennel thing...

yep... and your child probably gets much better care than the dogs do! lol

it's pricey, but that's just the way it is... most of the other places are even more. :)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:02 pm

ultraslacker wrote:

it's pricey, but that's just the way it is... most of the other places are even more. :)

The dog kenneling is also $25 for 24 hours, right?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:

The dog kenneling is also $25 for 24 hours, right?

yeah, sort of... it's per night. If I pick him up by noon the next day, I don't pay for another day... but if I pick him up after noon, I pay for an extra night.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:47 pm

I might have a november race! A friend from WA recommended a little one that's 28 miles, and it's small and dog friendly so I could take sammy... drive down, stay one night, run the race, come home!

hmmmmmm....

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”