Fat Ass Trail Run Anyone?

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
irun4me
Tom Longboat

Re: Fat Ass Trail Run Anyone?

Postby irun4me » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:13 am

MikeM wrote:
runjanerun wrote:
erinmcd wrote:I'm headed there after work with one of the guys from my office who's never run on trails before. Should be fun!

I hope he realizes that these aren't just ordinary trails. :lol:

So this raises something I've been wondering about. I've never run on "real" trails before and I debated whether to sign up for the 7.5 or 17.5. I went with the 17.5 for now but I've been thinking of switching to the 7.5 both because it's my first trail race and because we're helping my father in law move the day before :shock:

Is the 17.5 too much for a trail newbie?

You could split it down the middle (sort 'o speak) and go for the 10k.
I don't have a lot of trail experience either and I've done the 7.5 and 17.5 here. As long as you stay alert you should be alright. You may feel it in the morning but it's all in fun anyway
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:15 pm

irun4me wrote:
MikeM wrote:
runjanerun wrote:
erinmcd wrote:I'm headed there after work with one of the guys from my office who's never run on trails before. Should be fun!

I hope he realizes that these aren't just ordinary trails. :lol:

So this raises something I've been wondering about. I've never run on "real" trails before and I debated whether to sign up for the 7.5 or 17.5. I went with the 17.5 for now but I've been thinking of switching to the 7.5 both because it's my first trail race and because we're helping my father in law move the day before :shock:

Is the 17.5 too much for a trail newbie?

You could split it down the middle (sort 'o speak) and go for the 10k.
I don't have a lot of trail experience either and I've done the 7.5 and 17.5 here. As long as you stay alert you should be alright. You may feel it in the morning but it's all in fun anyway

I thought about the 10k but I think it'd be fun to run the ski hill which I don't think the 10k does from what I understand. I'm definitely not worried about my time for this race for sure.

Christine_Runs
Johnny Miles

Postby Christine_Runs » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:34 am

Hi Mike,

As long as you have solid mileage under your belt and you have some experience on uneven terrain and you take your time you should be okay. The uneven terrain is the biggest challenge and the hills. (I haven't run this race but just generally speaking about going to trails).

Christine

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:52 pm

The 10K doesn't run the ski hill but there is another good sized hill that you do have to go up so you wouldn't be shortchanged on a hill. :lol: The ski hill is a VERY hard run. I have a hard time getting up it and I just walk up it. It seems to have gotten more steep! Don't know if it is age for me, or if the ski club has changed it.

There is lots of uneven terrain out there, that is for sure. Lots of rocks hidden underneath leaves. Ruts that have been left from ATVs back when they were allowed to use the trails (not sure if they can now or not). I rolled my ankle twice today.

We were out there this morning and there is one section on the 7.5K where we had to leap fallen trees. They have been cutting down trees the past year, as part of the Batawa Forest Management Plan. Fortunately we aren't fast, and don't mind slowing down even more to get over them. It would be interesting to see the front runners, when they encounter this section. Sandy said they will try and drag some of the wood out of the way, but in some places we may have to jump them. The good news is the "lake" on the 7.5K is dried up, although this could change in the next three weeks. We have waded knee deep in other years. That is not the area that irun4me posted this week though. That is a different knee-deep "lake." :lol:

You really have to experience the Fat Ass to know what it is like. There were about 50 runners/walkers out there this morning. There is a lot of interest in it. There were hoodies for the first 250 registered, and they hit that mark at the beginning of the month. I see they are at 305 now. And I just realized that my "ass" is featured on the website. :shock: :lol:
Jane

Christine_Runs
Johnny Miles

Postby Christine_Runs » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi Jane,

Is the 305 the total? I noticed today that there were 305 on the eventsonline list but wasn't sure if this included people who registered at the store?

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:25 pm

I believe that they said they were updating the Events On-line website fairly quickly as they got them. A couple of my friends registered on Oct 5 and their names were on there the next day or day after, I think. And I registered at the store and my name is on there.
Jane

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:57 am

I would do the 7.5K over the 10k. As stated the 10K is not on the normal trail route, and the normal route lots of fun! I wouldn't worry about your time, lots of people walk and go pretty slowly, I didn't find it a super competitive field. I'm unfortunately sitting out this year...really love the event though, did it last year (the 7.5K and will probably go back next year for sure).

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 pm

How is the 7.5k? Super technical or rolling single track?
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:How is the 7.5k? Super technical or rolling single track?

I..or well my alter ego.."Woodland Faerie" hiked the 7.5 km in 2009...it's pretty technical from what I'm told by the "experts"
I don't know what you're meaning by "single track"...but it sure isn't running on gravel trail...it's up and down...with lots of tree roots...and depending on the weather could also get a bit muddy. Yep...just the way you like it!!!!!! :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:27 pm

We did the 7.5K on Sunday and I think the 10K could be considered more technical. However, there is a single track through the woods as you are heading back towards the ski hill. If they don't get some of the trees dragged off the trail there (thanks to the owners for cutting them down :roll: ) you will be doing some hurdles. I find the hardest part about running these trails right now is they are covered with lots of leaves, and there are a lot of rocks and branches under the leaves that you can't see. I rolled my ankle twice on Sunday running it. You will really want to have trail shoes. There is a very steep downhill coming off the ski hill that is easy to take a fall on - for the same reason of rocks under the leaves. However, heading back toward the end, you also run along the old rail bed, which is pretty easy. There is a large variety of different types of terrain.

I actually prefer the 10K route. I am not sure why -- maybe because the hill isn't as hard as the ski hill on the 7.5K route. And you only have to do the one good sized hill and a couple of smaller ones. It is prettier. But there is more mud and water - as irun4me showed in her photos. They were taken on the 10K. Robinandamelia, why did you say the 10K is not the normal trail route? Just curious. Because up until last year, they didn't have a 10K route by itself. But we still did the 10K as part of the 17.5K. So it's always been part of the run.

For those who have done the Run for the Toad, the trail is not groomed like at the Toad. This race doesn't even compare to the somewhat "easy" trails of the Toad. I will try and find some links to photos from previous years to post, if it helps.
Jane

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:02 pm

Photos as posted on my Facebook. Hopefully they will be visible to anyone who is interested.

2010 - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... feea60f85d
I only did the 7.5K so these are all from that route. It was a dry year and BEAUTIFUL weather, as you can see by our attire!

2009 - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 68392c0de5
The year we did the 7.5K with the Woodland Fairie. It was so technical, she managed to fall while walking! Which we re-enacted.

2008 - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... e37815fe8e
An especially muddy year. We were out there last week and there is the one big puddle (lake) you have to go through but there wasn't the mud like in 2008. It all depends on what happens weatherwise in the next three weeks!
The first six photos are on the 7.5K. Photo 7 starts the ones taken on the back 10K.
As you can see, we are in it for the fun, the food and maximizing our race dollar!! :lol: Totally non-competitive!

2007 - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 68392c0de5
Looks like we did the 17.5K with not a lot of time for picture taking.

2006 - http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=78482 ... 2749155176#comments
A video of a portion of the 10K/17.5K . Sorry about the "Blair Witch" quality, but if you can see it, check out the part starting around 2 min 25 sec. You can see how warm it was -- we were wearing short sleeved shirts. But the last big water hole we went through was cold! I have never had my feet and legs go numb like they did after we got through there. And we were wet up to the knees. That last big water hole is the one that irun4me posted photos of. We now run this section in the opposite direction, so you have another 9K to run with your feet wet. And there really isn't a way to get around it.
Jane

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:40 am

I just meant that the 10K doesn't use the Ski Hill....that's all...(bad wording)... I contemplated the 10K last year but thought that the ski hill area was part of the fun so switched to the 7.5K. It was my first trail run ever and I thought it was really great.

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:58 am

Great pics Jane!! Thanks for sharing. You guys always seem to have fun out there :D
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:55 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:I just meant that the 10K doesn't use the Ski Hill....that's all...(bad wording)... I contemplated the 10K last year but thought that the ski hill area was part of the fun so switched to the 7.5K. It was my first trail run ever and I thought it was really great.

I wasn't sure what you meant, but that explains it! You must try the 10K part some time. It is very different from the 7.5K. And there IS a hill so you won't miss out on that part. :lol: And challenging in other ways.

Yes, we do always have fun out there it seems. We might be slow, but it is all about the fun and the food. I've done every Fat Ass so far. I think there are only three or four of us who have done that. The first year we only had about 20 or 30 people. If you look here, you will see the start of the race: http://www.adampaulin.ca/Photos/main.php?g2_itemId=1405 (Keeping my fingers crossed that it works).
Jane

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm doing 17.5. I've just returned to running after 10 weeks off thanks to a bike crash, so I'm just doing this for fun.

We registered for this race two years ago, but couldn't go because of injuries (recurring theme). But the jacket was nice.

Too bad I missed out on the hoodie. Oh well.

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:06 am

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Looks like a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to this even more now although I think I was probably way too optimistic when I guessed my LSD pace to estimate my finish time. :shock: :lol:

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:08 am

Cupcake Girl wrote:I'm doing 17.5. I've just returned to running after 10 weeks off thanks to a bike crash, so I'm just doing this for fun.

WTF CCG. Starting to train for your pacing duties for next May? Very cool, you'll love this - but wow taking on the 17.5 - it is a tough little course.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:46 am

Strider wrote: WTF CCG. Starting to train for your pacing duties for next May? Very cool, you'll love this - but wow taking on the 17.5 - it is a tough little course.

I have to do a long run at about that distance anyway. Swag is nifty. I need hill work for the Boxing Day 10-miler, so why not? And I get some trail work in so I'm the perfect pacer in May :wink: You coming?

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:35 am

Cupcake Girl wrote:
Strider wrote: WTF CCG. Starting to train for your pacing duties for next May? Very cool, you'll love this - but wow taking on the 17.5 - it is a tough little course.

I have to do a long run at about that distance anyway. Swag is nifty. I need hill work for the Boxing Day 10-miler, so why not? And I get some trail work in so I'm the perfect pacer in May :wink: You coming?

6 days before JFK! To be honest it would be perfect, except for that 3 hour drive each way. I'd love to be there. Kim and I did it in 2007. I'll be yelling encouraging words from my Lazy Boy.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:52 pm

MikeM wrote:Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Looks like a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to this even more now although I think I was probably way too optimistic when I guessed my LSD pace to estimate my finish time. :shock: :lol:

I believe you can change your distance or your predicted finishing time right up until the morning of. Although with more and more people registering, I am wondering if this will eventually be harder for them to do.
Jane

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:28 pm

I've decided to reduce to the 10K from the 17.5K. I have to leave for Cornwall in the afternoon for work, and if I do 17.5K I will be out there for about 3 hrs or so which will make it a rush to get home, shower and get on the road and arrive in Cornwall by supper. I am just too slow to get the whole 17.5K in. We did the 10K last weekend and it took us about 1-1/2 hrs to 1-3/4 hrs. I like the 10K more out of the two routes anyhow. I am looking forward to it. Although I do expect to be close to last in the 10K. :lol:

They are up to 342 entries now. I think last year they had about 50 entries on race morning.
Jane

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:18 pm

I'd love to be out there cheering.
Alas..Ro-Ro and I will be dogsitting Sasha while her humans run the trails (Jane...I think you met Sasha...and her humans Faye and Marc a couple years ago on the weekend when we went up for a pre run/hike.)

I'll be sending good race vibes next weekend!!!!! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Ah bummer! Was hoping to see you there Jojo!
I'll be certain to be decked out in RM gear!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:31 am

Sir Crashalot wrote:Ah bummer! Was hoping to see you there Jojo!

I'll watch for you!
Jane

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:31 pm

runjanerun wrote:
Sir Crashalot wrote:Ah bummer! Was hoping to see you there Jojo!

I'll watch for you!

:D

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”