Fat Ass Trail Run Anyone?

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
carm
Bill Crothers

Re: Fat Ass Trail Run Anyone?

Postby carm » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Just bumping up this thread in case any of you guys feel like registering last-minute for this race. Online registration is in effect for another 3 days. I'm registered for the 17.5k but after being side-lined for a few weeks and just returning to run this week, I'm planning on dropping down to the 10k. Four of us are driving down from Ottawa. :)
Carm

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Hope you all have a great time at this Run...it's an awesome event!!
I'll be dog sitting C-Moss's best friend so Sasha's owner can go run trails :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:55 pm

I was supposed to run the 17.5K but after having back issues and not running for almost two months, I have decided to drop down to the 10K and walk it with my friend, Petra. I love the 10K part of the route. There are so many pretty areas on it. So much that we have knicknamed them the Mystical Forest and the Enchanted Forest. But..... there is also one really wet area which we can hopefully navigate around (since it is right at the beginning). And only one big hill to climb.
Jane

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:11 pm

runjanerun wrote:I was supposed to run the 17.5K but after having back issues and not running for almost two months, I have decided to drop down to the 10K and walk it with my friend, Petra. I love the 10K part of the route. There are so many pretty areas on it. So much that we have knicknamed them the Mystical Forest and the Enchanted Forest. But..... there is also one really wet area which we can hopefully navigate around (since it is right at the beginning). And only one big hill to climb.

See you there, Jane! Depending on the weather, I may wear my RM singlet over another layer so I shouldn't be hard to spot. I will be there with my friend Rachel, orleansrunner and MikeM from the board.
Carm

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:37 pm

I will look for you! I will probably be wearing my Tri & Run Shirt, just because we like to support Sandy and her store, since we run out of there. It actually depends on the weather, WHAT I have on. :lol: And since I am walking and not running, I need to keep warm. There is well over 500 participants registered, Sandy said tonight. I remember the first time Sandy held this event (it might have been 2005) there were about 30 of us doing it.
Jane

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:17 am

I'm registered for the 17.5 but am bumping it up to the 25. Suppose to be running 30k on Sunday, so I figured 25 on trails would be sufficient. Suppose to be a nice day so far. Partly sunny, a high of 8 and 10km/h wind. Perfect!! 8)
See you on the slopes!
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:11 pm

Bib #369
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:31 pm

I am Bib 378.
Jane

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Is it weird of me to say that I can't wait to use the HydraPouch that came in my kit?
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 am

irun4me wrote:Is it weird of me to say that I can't wait to use the HydraPouch that came in my kit?

:dance:
Carm

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:16 am

Just firing off a last-minute email to all who are running today. We're leaving Ottawa around 6 am so we'll be the sleepy caffeinated-crew. :) See you in the woods!

I'll be wearing an Around the Bay long sleeve and capris (maybe an Ottawa Triathlon Club jacket) to race and then will be wearing jeans and a pink sweatshirt and black jacket after my 10k.
Carm

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:51 am

Heading out in a few minutes!
Jane

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Carmen, I briefly saw you! You were just ahead of us when we were waiting to start. You turned around and took a photo of the girls who were right in front of us. I was going to run up then and say hi but Dennis was announcing that it was two minutes to the start and I didn't want to get separated from my friends for the start. I figured I would see you afterwards, but since it took me two hours to do the 10K, I think you may have been gone by the time I came in. I looked for your pink shirt but didn't see it.

I feel badly. I should have said something at the start. As it was, there were a couple of friends that did the 7.5K and I didn't see them either. I didn't see irun4me either, and I know her as well!

I hope you enjoyed the race!
Jane

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:17 pm

runjanerun wrote:Carmen, I briefly saw you! You were just ahead of us when we were waiting to start. You turned around and took a photo of the girls who were right in front of us. I was going to run up then and say hi but Dennis was announcing that it was two minutes to the start and I didn't want to get separated from my friends for the start. I figured I would see you afterwards, but since it took me two hours to do the 10K, I think you may have been gone by the time I came in. I looked for your pink shirt but didn't see it.

I feel badly. I should have said something at the start. As it was, there were a couple of friends that did the 7.5K and I didn't see them either. I didn't see irun4me either, and I know her as well!

I hope you enjoyed the race!

Wow, that's so funny! It's too bad that we didn't all meet up. It was so busy and I even lost Sylvie and Mike briefly before the race. It was a blast. We will be back again, hopefully next year. I'd like to do the 17.5k but I will be trained next time. I was totally on-target before my car accident. Trail running in Gatineau Park is great prep for the Fat Ass.
Carm

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Too bad we didn't see any other maniacs -- it was really great fun, and we will be back for sure -- with LOTS of hill training under our belt!! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Don't forget to practice running through the slippy slidey mud, and possibly water. We were lucky this year. That part that Dennis referred to as the "beaver dam" has been so bad in the past that there was no way to get past it except by wading through -- up to your knees. Here is what it was like in 2008 just so you know just how much "fun" it can get!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 784825176/

I was SO SLOW today. We started out with the plan that we were going to walk the whole thing, but ended up running a really slow run for about half of it. Still took two hours to do the route. I have a lot of work to do to get my running back since my back problems in September.
Jane

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Jane I saw you after the race and recognized you from last year but you were talking with someone so I didn't want to interrupt.

I had a great time at the race again today. Hopefully I'll be back for 17.5 next year.

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:09 pm

You should have said something! I am always talking to someone. :lol: I am terrible at remembering faces too.

I hope we see you back for 17.5K next year too!
Jane

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:24 pm

The photos are already up -- link to them through your results on Sportstats. Cathy and I only had two photos. I think we were running too fast. :roll: Our friend, who is a really fast runner, had 26. Our other friend who dressed up as an 80's chick had two pages of photos. She also ran 25K so I guess there was more opportunities for photos. Oh well, I have so many of me here already from 15 years of running.... :lol:
Jane

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 am

Those are some nice photos although I'm looking a little tired by that point. :) I'll write up my RR tonight.
Carm

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:45 pm

runjanerun wrote: I didn't see irun4me either, and I know her as well!

I saw Heather and gave a quick hello on my way to get into some warm clothes. You probably didn't see me through all the mud :lol: . I had a little slip in the mud out there.

Had a great time running there as always. I was chatting with a guy during the 10k route who thought I was an ultra runner! He thought he read something about me on an ultra website. I quickly corrected him, saying he was mistaking me for someone else. I took that as a great compliment though. I must have looked like I knew what I was doing out there :lol:

First time completing the 25k at Fat Ass. My only other 25k was at Vulture Bait. Missed a PB by 28 seconds. I'm happy with that considering the hills involved in Batawa compared to the VB. Definitely going to do the 25k again!
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”