Moving from 25 K to 50 K

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Christine_Runs
Johnny Miles

Moving from 25 K to 50 K

Postby Christine_Runs » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:49 am

Hi Everyone,

I do realize there are several topics on this but I have a few circumstances I want to make sure I consider so I thought I'd ask for input. Here is my situation:

I have run on and off for most of my life. I ran my first 1/2 marathon in May 2011. Over the summer/fall I ran a number of 1/2 and 4 trail races that were 25 km in length. I often 'run' races rather than 'race' them. I like doing both but I basically like to be in a race more often that I want to race. I need more sleep than the average person and running every day is just not possible (I don't really want to get into a debate about this I get that others can work around this type of issue but I can't at this point). At the moment, I'm dealing with an injury that seems to be sorting itself out and I plan to get back to running. I'm going to start increasing mileage slowly. I'm hoping to run 4 days a week for starters. By spring I'll probably be up to 5. In the summer, I often run 6.

I'm very comfortable running 25. I'm slow (2:43-3:33 range). The next day I'm usually not really sore just a tiny bit stiff. Suggestions on how far into the season is reasonable to attempt a 50 K? I realize there are many variables but I'm just really debating if I need to build up into the fall or if I could give it a whirl earlier in the season.

Thank you.

Christine

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Re: Moving from 25 K to 50 K

Postby West Grey Runner » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:09 pm

If you can run 25K you shouldn’t have any problem getting to 50K. The fact that you run “slow” will be to your benefit going longer. Your running enough to go the distance and you seem to have a reasonable plan. There are some key elements that will get to the finish line, Nutrition , Hydration , Electrolytes but most importantly it’s your attitude and desire. In running the Sahara Ray Zahab states “ Ultra Running is 90% Mental and then its 10% Mental”. Don’t apologize for sleeping , most don’t get enough. Sometimes when I am pushing the distance I try to get a little more sleep and this really seems to help. Good luck and most of all enjoy your experience.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:10 pm

It is often said that a 50km is not really more than a marathon - don't believe them, because a trails 50km is way harder than a road marathon, but also a lot slower. That said I would look at building your base with a marathon program and then after that repeat a short 50km program that will add a few back-to-backs. For goal I would say to looking towards Dirty Girl 6hour and then Haliburton 50km should be achievable. Or ITT 32km and then Haliburton 50km. One way or another Hali should be your goal. Lots to think about, but all fun things.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Maryka
Tom Longboat

Postby Maryka » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:22 pm

It might be helpful to let us know what your weekly mileage currently looks like. And how much of that mileage is on trails vs. roads?
You said that you are "very comfortable" running 25 km which is good.
My advice would be to check out a beginner 50 km training schedule like the one provided on the Run for Toad website:

http://www.runforthetoad.com/trainingprogram.html

How does your current mileage compare with week 1? If it's pretty close, you can easily come up with a workback schedule to fit whatever your goal race is.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Maryka wrote:It might be helpful to let us know what your weekly mileage currently looks like. And how much of that mileage is on trails vs. roads?
You said that you are "very comfortable" running 25 km which is good.
My advice would be to check out a beginner 50 km training schedule like the one provided on the Run for Toad website:

http://www.runforthetoad.com/trainingprogram.html

How does your current mileage compare with week 1? If it's pretty close, you can easily come up with a workback schedule to fit whatever your goal race is.

to be fair, that's a pretty hefty training program for a *first* 50k.

(just don't want Christine thinking she has to do that much mileage for the first one!)

I did my first 50k off of marathon training. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Last year I did Haliburton in September as my first 50K. It worked out well for me schedule wise. I did 5 OUSer trail races from 25-32 including ITT as my main training that season prior to the race.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Christine_Runs
Johnny Miles

Postby Christine_Runs » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the info. Right now I'm not really running at all because of my hip flexor (I ran the 25 K Fat Ass at Batawa this weekend with no issues but hadn't run for a month prior to that). In the spring/summer I was running probably close to the start of the RFTT training plan. In the fall I just couldn't get running during the week so I ran a 1/2 marathon or a 25 k trail race every weekend and pretty much slept the rest of the week (I realize this probably sounds nuts to most of you but that is just my life come September....) but now I'm getting back into the swing of things at work and plan to build back up to running 4 days a week before starting a plan like the Toad training.

Thank you everyone. I'm happy for any more info/suggestions you have.

Christine

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi Christine. One more tidbit of advice. Ramping up your long run takes the most time. You might consider increasing your long-run mileage early (this Spring) in order to set a good base and have a pleasant 50K race.
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:13 pm

I've used this training plan before (note it's in miles), and am actually using it to train for a 60K in March:

http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50k.asp

Last year I ran my first marathon, 50K, 12 hour, then 50 miler (yes 50 milers take me way longer than 12 hours). I ended up with a stress fracture but we'll just ignore that for now :lol: My point is you could definitely ramp up to a 50K. You could always aim for a spring marathon and a fall 50K.
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”