Sulphur Springs Trail Run

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Re: Sulphur Springs Trail Run

Postby Mid_Packer » Sun May 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Great results everyone. I did a 1 lap as the relay and was suffer'n from the heat, don't know how you are able to run for hours.
I did have the benefit of a few beer and other fluids later on to hydrate. Then decided to run a few more miles since we dont have any hills here. Got 2 miles in, did a down hill header (so happy that Sulphur is dirt not rock !) and brused up elbow, leg and crunched a rib somewhat. That made an easy decision to head back to the tent and hydrate some more.

Glad you all did so well today.

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sun May 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Awesome job Strider -- you are running so strong!! Looking forward to reading your report....
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sun May 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Congrats all. Damn, Strider...what a crazy awesome result. Congrats!
Carm

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun May 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Sun May 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Mon May 28, 2012 9:35 am

Some stupidly fast finishing times this weekend despite the heat. Congrats to all that ran.

I had a pretty cool experience during my 50 mile race. Perhaps one of the perks of being a BOPer :) As I was chugging up the Three Sisters on my final lap, I heard someone coming behind me. At this point it was fairly dark, and the person had no light. I moved to the side as he approached, very quickly. He was working very hard, as evident with his breathing. He blew past me (and my DH who was kind enough to come out on my last lap with me though he had done the 50K earlier in the day). He took the time to acknowledge me (perhaps the number one reason why I love ultras so much) and continued on up the hill. DH and I started wondering why he was working so hard this late in the game. Was it because he didn't have a light with him? Then we realized, he must be the first place 100 mile finisher. At this point he would have had about 6 or 7K to go. I was just awe-struck. Such an amazing athlete. At that point, and many other times earlier that day, I felt privileged to be able to participate in an event and witness the accomplishments of many great runners out there. It's moments like that when I find the motivation to keep running, to keep doing these races.
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon May 28, 2012 9:40 am

Nicely done, Dave! You looked happy and strong throughout the whole race. I'm looking forward to reading your race report. Congratulations!!

Congrats to all the maniacs who came out to run, pace, volunteer! It gets hectic around these events and I personally barely have time to chat with anyone, unless they are running beside me. :lol: But it's nice to say hi and see everyone!

Big thanks to Wesley for the large green tea and for coming out to volunteer. For those of you running after sundown, you can thank Wesley for hanging the glow sticks on the trees to guide you through the night. Also big thanks to chainsaw baby for manning the s/f aid station after his own race!

Volunteer support was awesome at the aid stations and they did a very good job marking the course, too. The weather and course conditions were very good and the fast finish times are echoing that. I wasn't crazy about the bone dry trails and the dusty stretches. I breathed in a crazy amount of dust, for sure. Anyone, sore throats this morning? :)

I had a good time in the race and am happy with what I could pull off with less than 2 months training and some low back and hip damage. I brought a cooler with beer and peanuts and a camping chair thinking that I'd probably have to pull the plug after about 50 miles or 100k or once my back pain and my hip pain set in. But luckily they did not rear their ugly heads and aside from salt pills and 3 magnesium pills, I never had to take any pain killers. On the 7th lap the sleep monsters attacked me so bad, I was sleep walking, so I did what I never have before: pulled in for a sleep break. I just had to end the vicious cycle I was in (coffee-crash-coffee-crash). It worked like a charm! I grabbed my iPod and ran a 3:19 last lap (which includes a 20+ minute break at the aid station). Happy I didn't cripple myself and also happy that my HURT100 training is not all lost. This won't be a stellar year, but I'm still happy to be out there and taking on the 100 milers head on. Number 12 is in the books... Next up: Laurel Highlands 70 miler.

Congrats again to all the runners, especially first time 100 milers! Wow, some speedy times out there! Have a great summer!

UQ out
Ultrarunner again

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Mon May 28, 2012 11:04 am

Some great results there for all - sounds like a great weekend's running..... Well done!

trailzen
Johnny Miles

Postby trailzen » Mon May 28, 2012 12:21 pm

An awesome event as always ,great crowd support and awesome volenteers .Its always fun to see everyone out and have a chance to meet a few of the maniacs. Way to stick to your race plan strider, you ran an amazing race.

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Mon May 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Congrats everyone - some great results this year!

Last year I run 50K in 6 hours and 1 minute this years goal was to run below 6 hours. Accomplished (5:44:56).

It was fun but not enough time to chat with everyone I met yesterday on course and cheering.

I hope you recovering well Mid_Packer
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

Johnny M
Percy Williams

Postby Johnny M » Tue May 29, 2012 4:33 pm

I enjoyed Sulphur Springs this year, even when I struggled in the second half. Was great to see Strider running so strong in his first 100 miler. Kim Mc set a PB and then helped her hubby c_mcpeake finish his 100 miler. And Trailzen hammered his 100-mile race as well. Congrats everyone.

Here's my race report: http://johnnymcalister.com/2012/05/29/s ... -50-miler/

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:15 pm

2014 races (this year)
June 22 Mohican 100m, July 5 Creemore 50k, July 12 Limberlost 56k, Aug 8 Dirty Girls 48hr, Sept 6 Haliburton 100, Oct 11 Oil Creek 100m
coaching site: http://www.candcrunningfactory.com/
personal blog: http://www.chrismcpeake.blogspot.ca/

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Great race report, congrats on a PB and great race to you and Kim.

Congrats to everyone...you all rock...amazing...really!

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”