Good Luck Cody

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Re: Good Luck Cody

Postby West Grey Runner » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:28 pm

I offer to help him out from Owen Sound to Blue!

Cody has done his homework and if he has good support and stays healthy I think there is a very good chance he could be successful.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:05 pm

West Grey Runner wrote:I offer to help him out from Owen Sound to Blue!

Cody has done his homework and if he has good support and stays healthy I think there is a very good chance he could be successful.

A big thumbs up to you as it is so easy to be dismissive but much harder to actually be helpful. The underlying tone of some is that if this kid without battle scars does succeed that what they do diminishes in value and here you are looking towards helping make a wild a crazy dream a reality with positive benefits in the real world.

Trailer
Johnny Miles

Postby Trailer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 am

Cody to start on Sept 25th...

his web site is http://endtoendchallenge.com

Distance of the Bruce Trail= 885 km
Current Record=13 Days, 10 Hours and 50 Minutes
Run per day to complete trail= 80 km

Good luck over the next 13 days... stay healthy!
Lesson one: "Don't fight the trail - take what it gives you. If you have a choice between one step or two between rocks, take three".

Lesson two: "Think Easy, Light, Smooth and Fast." You start with easy, because if that's all you get, that's not so bad.

Born to Run, Christopher McDougall pp. 111

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:21 am

He's 6 days in now and still slugging, although he's had a rough couple of days. Blog entries here.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks for sharing the blog -- interesting read!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:11 pm

He is doing pretty good and appears to be more or less on target.

Go Cody Go.

Trailer
Johnny Miles

Postby Trailer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:14 am

Cody has now come through Hockley Valley and down to Cataract at the forks of the credit river as of last night. I met up with the great support crew (operating out of a lime green VW camper van - classic) and offered to run with him - they are very receptive to new faces joining in for companionship and a bit of distraction.

So, with headlights on I joined in for the final 1.5 hours of the evening and left them around 9pm, cruising toward their finish line for the day as I headed back along a side trail toward my car( a reminder to get a more powerful headlamp if I do this again...). It was foggy so the lights gave an erry glow and there was great reflection off the freshly fallen leaves now all covered with mist. Cody is struggling - but he is keeping his momentum moving forward and showing great determination. He runs a bit - and takes breaks as he needs them. I was truly inspired by him and his support team. Record, or no record, it is a remarkable accomplishment.

If you are able - drop by and offer your support.

Go Cody Go!
Lesson one: "Don't fight the trail - take what it gives you. If you have a choice between one step or two between rocks, take three".

Lesson two: "Think Easy, Light, Smooth and Fast." You start with easy, because if that's all you get, that's not so bad.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:24 am

Trailer wrote:Cody has now come through Hockley Valley and down to Cataract at the forks of the credit river as of last night. I met up with the great support crew (operating out of a lime green VW camper van - classic) and offered to run with him - they are very receptive to new faces joining in for companionship and a bit of distraction.

So, with headlights on I joined in for the final 1.5 hours of the evening and left them around 9pm, cruising toward their finish line for the day as I headed back along a side trail toward my car( a reminder to get a more powerful headlamp if I do this again...). It was foggy so the lights gave an erry glow and there was great reflection off the freshly fallen leaves now all covered with mist. Cody is struggling - but he is keeping his momentum moving forward and showing great determination. He runs a bit - and takes breaks as he needs them. I was truly inspired by him and his support team. Record, or no record, it is a remarkable accomplishment.

If you are able - drop by and offer your support.

Go Cody Go!

it's great that you went to support him! i've been following the updates on facebook and have been really impressed by his perseverance. happy to see the donations trickle in every day, too.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:44 pm

great job cody i am a believer in him.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:23 pm

just caught the coverage on CHCH hamilton. he seemed like a humble, nice guy. so close to the end - i'm rooting for him to break the record. :D

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:24 pm

I've been following his blog and his facebook page. I'm very impressed with the running he's done. I imagine he is in a world of pain, but he is very determined to finish what he started and has endured a lot of pain. Looking at his progress and barring any accidents or acts of God, he has a pretty good chance of breaking the record, even if only by a few hours. Every hour counts!
Kudos to him for bringing people together and running for a great cause! I haven't donated yet, but I will.
Ultrarunner again

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 pm

West Grey Runner wrote:I offer to help him out from Owen Sound to Blue!

Ron, did you end up running with Cody?
Ultrarunner again

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:10 am

Ultraqueenga, I never heard back from him .... should have just tracked them down.

His performance , perseverance and sheer guts is really inspiring. I have a suspicion he is going to beat Chars record if only by hours or minutes.

I am sitting on the fence with the donation but I will be contributing shortly.

Trailer
Johnny Miles

Postby Trailer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Quote from his Facebook page at about 2:30 this afternoon:

Heading to The Bruce Trail to meet up with Cody for his 2nd check point of the day. This particular check point is extra special. Cody is entering the double digits. When we see him next he will have 93km to go!!

He is getting so close... it must give him a 'second wind' but that is still a long way to go. Unbelievable strength and determination to endure that constant pain.

Go Cody Go

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Cody might finish tomorrow (day 12)! I could be wrong, but based on his blog, they are anticipating hitting Queenston "Sunday, October 7".

I expect he is looking forward to a day off (his feet)! I can't make it tomorrow, but if you can, I'm sure Cody et al would love a crowd at the end. And I thought young people didn't like being uncomfortable! Cody has determination in spades. Breaking Char's record is no easy feet (get it?)!!!
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:46 pm

from facebook at 9:45pm: Cody and crew are still going strong 14 hours later. He has 60km to the finish!

:dance:

Trailer
Johnny Miles

Postby Trailer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:08 am

Cody ran/walked through the night... now less than 30 km to go! What a day to give Thanks.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 am

about 10 kilometres to go. his ETA is about 1:30pm today, which would put the total time at 12 days, 7 hours and 30 minutes. :D

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:06 pm

he did it!!

this has been a fascinating journey. i'll admit, i was mostly drawn to it because so many people on the first page of this thread seemed convinced that he would fail. i'm always one to root for the underdog. glad to see him pull through, and for a great cause. :D

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Very cool to see. Huge congrats Cody. Awesome run!
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Congrats on the run Cody. Looks like you proved a good chunk of folks wrong, especially those early folks in the thread.

Well earned and hope the recovery from this enormous achievement is a quick one!

Happy trails,
Ryne

Trailer
Johnny Miles

Postby Trailer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:05 pm

He did it!!! Congratulations Cody - what an inspiring journey!! Impressive - and kudos to his support team. Just in time to enjoy a feast of Thanksgiving dinner and some sleep...

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:03 pm

what was the time??
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:06 pm

congrats cody!

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:07 pm

ultraslacker wrote:what was the time??

i haven't seen anything official from the site yet, but someone who was at the terminus posted 12 days, 7 hours and 39 minutes (he left at 6am on september 25).

the record was 13 days, 10 hours and 51 minutes.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”