Good Luck Cody

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Good Luck Cody

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:09 pm

wow, so he beat it by a whole day?! that is pretty impressive.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Trailer wrote:He did it!!! Congratulations Cody - what an inspiring journey!! Impressive - and kudos to his support team. Just in time to enjoy a feast of Thanksgiving dinner and some sleep...

Been following his journey.
Very happy for him. :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:11 pm

ultraslacker wrote:wow, so he beat it by a whole day?! that is pretty impressive.

yup
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Congrats, props to finishing a hard road.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Good Luck Cody

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:39 am

Good for him. OTOH must be kind of disheartening to have your record broken by some young guy who more or less says "I think I'll try this ultra thing, doesn't look so bad".

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:10 am

Great job -- inspiring!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Maryka
Tom Longboat

Postby Maryka » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:11 am

Good for him! Way to prove everyone wrong. Hopefully he'll get a bit closer to his fundraising goal now. I've been meaning to donate – I'll do it right now!

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:22 am

Wow , he smashed the record...huge! One thing that impressed me was the support he had from his family , friends and the folks in the running community. Its truly a monumental effort by all.

So now I wonder who is next to take the challenge?

Mega Mo
Johnny Miles

Postby Mega Mo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:46 am

Awesome stuff. I followed it each day, looked like he had problems early on then got into a groove and kept on going. Amazing accomplishment!
2015 Events:
Pick Your Poison 50km
Sulpher Springs 50 mile
North Face Blue Mountain 50 mile
Creemore Verticle Challenge 75km
Wasatch Front 100 Mile
Tour du Massif 50km
Somethin' else...
http://stupid-running.blogspot.com/

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 am

I would like to see some guy named Morgan or perhaps a Dale or even a Kinga give a crack at the record!

I cant help but wonder if one of the more "Elite" Ultra Runners were to take it on what the results would be... 8 days. How about an unsupported run, holy drop bags!

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:20 pm

West Grey Runner wrote:I would like to see some guy named Morgan or perhaps a Dale or even a Kinga give a crack at the record!

I cant help but wonder if one of the more "Elite" Ultra Runners were to take it on what the results would be... 8 days. How about an unsupported run, holy drop bags!

I wish I had the time and resources to do something like this. I think the logistics would drive me crazy. I already go bonkers from traveling to/from my long ultras and futzing with my gear and everything. :lol: I'd go crazy and probably end up in a newspaper article... Woman Jumps Off The Escarpment

Cody's achievement definitely sets the bar high. I'll be curious to see who the next person is who will try the end-to-end Bruce.
Ultrarunner again

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:33 am

UltraQueenga

I wish I had the time and resources to do something like this

Me too but I wouldn't be going for a record ....say a leisurely 50K a day! Hey maybe we can start an AG category with 5 year increments.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:26 pm

latest from facebook:

What a journey! So to answer a few quick questions that people have been asking me. The new record is 12days 7hrs 39min. Yes I do expect it to be broken at some point. Many other ultra runners have way more experience and talent than I possess, so I expect the record to be broken. No I will not be disappointed if the record is broken, nor will I attempt the trail end to end again. I would love to get out and run with anyone attempting the trail as well as be at the finish to be the first to shake anyones hand that completes the trail.

The big question I have been asked is how did I do it? How did I push through the pain day after day? During the run I could not have told you, but I think I have it figured out.

If my goal was to simply beat the record in order to hold it, for personal reasons or pride, I wouldn't have made it past day 4. I made a promise to my friends and community. If they believe in me and donate to Headwaters Health Care Foundation I will run the trail end to end. So when I received my first donation I knew I had to finish. The community more than held up their end of the deal, therefore all that was left was for me to honor my commitment.

So when the pain hit me day after day, kept me up at night, consumed all of my thoughts, I couldn't quit because all those who supported me did not quit on me. So one foot in front of the other, grinding on until the end was the only option.

So this is why I say thank you to everyone and anyone who donated, promoted the cause, came out to support in person, ran with me, housed myself and support crew or simply had us in their thoughts. It is you who gave me the strength to go on, it is you who inspired me, it is you who I will be forever in debt to for making a dream come true.

An appreciation dinner is being planned for sometime in November for anyone involved in any way, or anyone who simply wishes to come. So stay tuned to the page for details. Donations are also open until November 9th so let's keep them rolling in. Its a very worthy cause and can use every penny donated.

Forever thankful,

Cody Gillies

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:30 pm

West Grey Runner wrote:UltraQueenga

Me too but I wouldn't be going for a record ....say a leisurely 50K a day! Hey maybe we can start an AG category with 5 year increments.

Sounds like a great idea :D I might need a few years to catch up to attempt anything in this league though!!! :D
2014:
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:31 pm

deerdree wrote:latest from facebook:

What a journey! So to answer a few quick questions that people have been asking me. The new record is 12days 7hrs 39min. Yes I do expect it to be broken at some point. Many other ultra runners have way more experience and talent than I possess, so I expect the record to be broken. No I will not be disappointed if the record is broken, nor will I attempt the trail end to end again. I would love to get out and run with anyone attempting the trail as well as be at the finish to be the first to shake anyones hand that completes the trail.

The big question I have been asked is how did I do it? How did I push through the pain day after day? During the run I could not have told you, but I think I have it figured out.

If my goal was to simply beat the record in order to hold it, for personal reasons or pride, I wouldn't have made it past day 4. I made a promise to my friends and community. If they believe in me and donate to Headwaters Health Care Foundation I will run the trail end to end. So when I received my first donation I knew I had to finish. The community more than held up their end of the deal, therefore all that was left was for me to honor my commitment.

So when the pain hit me day after day, kept me up at night, consumed all of my thoughts, I couldn't quit because all those who supported me did not quit on me. So one foot in front of the other, grinding on until the end was the only option.

So this is why I say thank you to everyone and anyone who donated, promoted the cause, came out to support in person, ran with me, housed myself and support crew or simply had us in their thoughts. It is you who gave me the strength to go on, it is you who inspired me, it is you who I will be forever in debt to for making a dream come true.

An appreciation dinner is being planned for sometime in November for anyone involved in any way, or anyone who simply wishes to come. So stay tuned to the page for details. Donations are also open until November 9th so let's keep them rolling in. Its a very worthy cause and can use every penny donated.

Forever thankful,

Cody Gillies

I really like this post -- thanks for sharing!!
2014:
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:32 pm

orleansrunner1962 wrote:
West Grey Runner wrote:UltraQueenga

Sounds like a great idea :D I might need a few years to catch up to attempt anything in this league though!!! :D

personally, I'd egg you on!! :twisted:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Good Luck Cody

Postby daddy_runner » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Hope you weren't referring to *this* Dale. :lol:

After my attempted Superior Trail thru-hike, I have a newfound respect for those who fastpack.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:07 pm

The problem from the first page is that at least one poster was irony impaired when he noted that Cody was arrogant, road runners are arrogant and such arrogance upsets him and then he went on in an arrogant and condescending manner about how ill prepared the young man was for such a complex endeavor. And the people who really love running and who are not arrogant always speak about the simplicity of it. That is at times hard work, guts and determination can actually overcome a lack of experience. And training does not necessarily have to be that complicated as time on your feet as Cody proved, may also be enough. For me, to do well on hills, run hills, to run a long way, put in the miles, to run fast, do fast runs. And yet there seems to be a group that wants to make it so complex and difficult that one can only speculate that this is done to make their own achievements that much more "special" when that is not necessary. Having done short trail races including a trail half, I have the utmost respect for anyone who puts in the time and effort to run an ultra but it is not rocket science. But any running at a recreational level whether it is an ultra or marathon or whatever distance is not.

I am in awe of Cody because what he did is beyond my comprehension but on the other hand, not surprised he did it.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”