"Toad" Practice Session Saturday, July 28

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Ken B
Lynn Williams

"Toad" Practice Session Saturday, July 28

Postby Ken B » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Any maniacs ( aside from me ) attending the RunForTheToad practice this coming Saturday? Although I will be in Germany when the Toad is being run this year, it is an excellent workout for any trail event.

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Re: "Toad" Practice Session Saturday, July 28

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:42 pm

The practice run is not happening for me, due to surgery, but I am desperately hoping that a 25K in October is possible, if recovery goes well!

All: Note that George and Peggy might cut off entries on AUGUST 1! I think they will extend to August 15 if they don't reach the cap of 1400, but don't take the risk. Toad is the trail race homecoming event we cannot consider missing.

Sorry. That was emotional, even for me. But some of my fondess racing memories lie squarely with the Toad! I handed Ellie Greenwood her duffle bag while volunteering in 2010. I hope Ellie did not mind the hug. My volunteer badge is hoisted amongst my finishing medals!
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Chainsaw Baby wrote:The practice run is not happening for me, due to surgery, but I am desperately hoping that a 25K in October is possible, if recovery goes well!

All: Note that George and Peggy might cut off entries on AUGUST 1! I think they will extend to August 15 if they don't reach the cap of 1400, but don't take the risk. Toad is the trail race homecoming event we cannot consider missing.

Sorry. That was emotional, even for me. But some of my fondess racing memories lie squarely with the Toad! I handed Ellie Greenwood her duffle bag while volunteering in 2010. I hope Ellie did not mind the hug. My volunteer badge is hoisted amongst my finishing medals!

The toad is the best event in Canada, followed only by Around The Bay and Hamilton's Boxing Day 10 miler. Unfortunately, I will be in Germany this year for the actual Toad. That said - the practice is the next best thing!!

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:50 am

This thread was a good reminder to sign-up. Registered both my wife and I for the 50km. We are going to do a long run Friday night so we are going to pass on the training run this weekend.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:36 am

A recent email from the RD stated something about the price going up Aug 1…that got my attention!

I had been keeping an eye on the #s and we are a long way to the 1400 cap with 886 registered on line to date. I can understand the hesitation to register at nearly $90.00 for all events its getting a wee bit on the pricy side. There has also been allot of changes to the course over the years. They refer to this as improvements but what they have really done is to take allot of the trail out of the trail race. For the “purist” it’s not so great but if you want an enjoyable let your guard down fun run its great not to mention a really fast time too.

I registered last week and am looking forward to the race. Besides the gift is always the best of any race , trail or road. I have made huge use of the backpacks and gym bags.

See you out there!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Ken B wrote:
The toad is the best event in Canada, followed only by Around The Bay and Hamilton's Boxing Day 10 miler. Unfortunately, I will be in Germany this year for the actual Toad. That said - the practice is the next best thing!!

The problem with the Hamilton races is, how do I put this delicately, they are in Hamilton. :wink:

The Melissa Road race in Banff has the Rocky Mountains and Beer and it is in Banff.

There are a growing list of races at the Canmore Nordic Center and a speculator setting in the mountains.

Best races in Ontario but in Canada is a matter of debate. And I am sure there are a number of BC folks who have something to say about some of the great courses in the Whistler area.

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:52 pm

It funny I have raced in 25 states + DC, but never done a race outside of Ontario. Toad has to rank up there as one of the best organized I have ever done and would be hard for any RD to outdo anywhere in Canada. Race scenery wise, its very nice, but I agree there must be some amazing races in the mountains or along the east coast. I disagree on ATB. If you are a 2:15+ finisher, I think many would complain about width of the course and the volume of runners. IMHO the racing is very tight for most of the race (I would say until 21km). It seems to open up after that. I have done the race 8 times, however it is because of the unique distance and not their organization.

From an Americian racing standpoint, scenic wise, Lake Tahoe Triple (78.6 miles) and New Hampshire marathon are scenic standouts to me.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Dstew wrote:
Ken B wrote:

The problem with the Hamilton races is, how do I put this delicately, they are in Hamilton. :wink:

The Melissa Road race in Banff has the Rocky Mountains and Beer and it is in Banff.

There are a growing list of races at the Canmore Nordic Center and a speculator setting in the mountains.

Best races in Ontario but in Canada is a matter of debate. And I am sure there are a number of BC folks who have something to say about some of the great courses in the Whistler area.

I stand corrected! So amended!! :)

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:13 pm

Ken B wrote:
Dstew wrote:
Ken B wrote:

I stand corrected! So amended!! :)

All in good fun.

The cool part of around the Bay is that:

Around the Bay Road Race, is the oldest long distance road race in North America, held in Hamilton, Ontario since 1894, nearly three years before the Boston Marathon, though is not marathon length.

There are days when I wish instead of marathons I was training for 30 K races. It is a challenging distance and yet somehow civilized.

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:13 pm

I've done all the "Run for the Toad" races except the first one, so nine in total. However, sadly, I am going to have to miss this year's and ruin my streak. Not so sadly, it is because I am going to be on a two-week all expenses paid (by my Dad) family cruise to Hawaii with my parents and two sisters, to celebrate my Mom's 85th birthday.

I agree with you Ken. The Toad is the best race. A trip to Germany sounds like a pretty good trade off too though! Where in Germany are you going? I would love to go back there (we lived there for four years more than 30 years ago - yikes that makes me sound OLD! :lol: )
Jane

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:51 am

runjanerun wrote:I've done all the "Run for the Toad" races except the first one, so nine in total. However, sadly, I am going to have to miss this year's and ruin my streak. Not so sadly, it is because I am going to be on a two-week all expenses paid (by my Dad) family cruise to Hawaii with my parents and two sisters, to celebrate my Mom's 85th birthday.

I agree with you Ken. The Toad is the best race. A trip to Germany sounds like a pretty good trade off too though! Where in Germany are you going? I would love to go back there (we lived there for four years more than 30 years ago - yikes that makes me sound OLD! :lol: )

We will be in Berlin for 6 days and then Mrs. tortoise and I flky back to Franfurt where friends of ours will pick us up and entertain us foir six more days. On the itinerary are trips to the Black forest and some small older towns along with visits to other friends.

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Have you been to the Black Forest before? It is GORGEOUS! Definitely worth missing the Toad for. I would love a trip back there.
Jane

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:07 pm

runjanerun wrote:Have you been to the Black Forest before? It is GORGEOUS! Definitely worth missing the Toad for. I would love a trip back there.

It is our first trip to Germany. :)

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:20 pm

I haven't been to Berlin -- wasn't further north than Frankfurt. But I can guarantee you are going to love, love, love the Black Forest. Take lots of photos!
Jane

readysetgo
Percy Williams

Postby readysetgo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:55 am

I missed the practice day. Does anyone know if i can still run around that trail if i pay for a day rate at Pinehurst?

Thanks

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:11 pm

readysetgo wrote:I missed the practice day. Does anyone know if i can still run around that trail if i pay for a day rate at Pinehurst?

Thanks

Its a public concervation area, pay your adminission fee and you have the whole park to explore.
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

readysetgo
Percy Williams

Postby readysetgo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

readysetgo wrote:Thanks :)

Welcome to runingmania!! :)

readysetgo
Percy Williams

Postby readysetgo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:32 pm

Thanks Ken. Sorry that i'll miss you at the Toad. :)

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”