EndurRun

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Re: EndurRun

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:08 am

I'm not very tech-savvy but there is a Strava Endurrun Group and I am managing to participate:

http://www.strava.com/clubs/41415

Its stated mission is:

This group is for anyone who has ever completed or is training to complete the ENDURrun in August. We will support others in achieving their goals.

I expect it will have some useful information from the KW area locals as the year progresses.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:41 am

I booked 2 nights at Laurier (200 King St)!! Not too far off now.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:29 am

Robinandamelia wrote:I booked 2 nights at Laurier (200 King St)!! Not too far off now.

I'm there for a night here and there through the week. Including Friday night if there is Running Maniacs carb-loading going down...
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:
Robinandamelia wrote:I booked 2 nights at Laurier (200 King St)!! Not too far off now.

I'm there for a night here and there through the week. Including Friday night if there is Running Maniacs carb-loading going down...

Awesome...I'm there Friday and Saturday night!

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:40 am

So who all is in?

I see on Strava that Tim is getting good miles in. I see the same for Robin on Twitter. It is going well for me this summer as well.

Who else is in? Singles? Running Mania Relay Team?

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:11 am

Robinandamelia wrote:Awesome...I'm there Friday and Saturday night!

Looks like Stage 7 will be 10% Marathon Maniac participants so consider wearing the ugly yellow Sunday and we'll get a cheesy picture for their newsletter...unless that sounds creepy. I chatted with Jack Lee after the race last year but was not a member at the time. He is back and a couple others.

timc
Johnny Miles

Postby timc » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Looks like Stage 7 will be 10% Marathon Maniac participants so consider wearing the ugly yellow Sunday and we'll get a cheesy picture for their newsletter...unless that sounds creepy. I chatted with Jack Lee after the race last year but was not a member at the time. He is back and a couple others.

I don't have the ugly yellow, but I've got a bright yellow one from the Mississauga Marathon last year! And orange from Sulphur Springs this year.

I haven't been following these discussions. Too much time running and working. And running to work. And running from work at lunch time.
~ Tim ~

2014 Race Results:
Re-Fridgee-Eighter 8 mile - 22 February - 56:22 (PB)
Around the Bay 30K - 30 March - 2:29:10 (PB)
Sulphur Springs 50 miler - 24 May - 10:12:20 (PB)
Summer's Night Classical 5K - 9 July - 20:10 (PB)
ENDURrun International - 10-17 August - 1:39:41 (PB)/1:11:00 (PB)/2:59:29 (PB)/1:20:51 (PB)/2:48:50 (PB)/44:22 (PB)/3:55:42
Oktoberfest 5K Fun Run - 13 October - 19:55 (PB)

Next Races:
???

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:22 pm

timc wrote:

I don't have the ugly yellow, but I've got a bright yellow one from the Mississauga Marathon last year! And orange from Sulphur Springs this year.

I haven't been following these discussions. Too much time running and working. And running to work. And running from work at lunch time.

I'm a maniac (after I completed Sulphur in May) but never got the shirt.... :(

timc
Johnny Miles

Postby timc » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:55 pm

By the way, we live in Waterloo (less than 2 km from Laurier if you're staying there), and we have a big backyard and a charcoal barbecue. So please feel free to drop by, hang around, whatever. I can cook some burgers, steaks, or smoke some ribs if there's interest. I'll be looking for an excuse to barbecue and sit on the deck with a cold drink. If you're hard up for a place to stay, you could probably pitch a tent in the yard, or even borrow space in ours, subject to wife approval. Drop me a line if you want more info.
~ Tim ~

2014 Race Results:
ENDURrun International - 10-17 August - 1:39:41 (PB)/1:11:00 (PB)/2:59:29 (PB)/1:20:51 (PB)/2:48:50 (PB)/44:22 (PB)/3:55:42

Next Races:
???

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:14 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:I'm a maniac (after I completed Sulphur in May) but never got the shirt.... :(

This is why I mentioned, Robin - I saw your name when I filtered the Maniac listing on their website to see who from Ontario was being silly also. I did the 2 in 14 days and 3 in 90 (EnddurRun, PEC, Toronto Waterfront) last fall and got the T-shirt. The ladies' shirts are bit better than the mens' - a few more colours and the men's singlet cut reveals that every man over 35 is secretly a gorilla.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:22 pm

timc wrote:By the way, we live in Waterloo (less than 2 km from Laurier if you're staying there), and we have a big backyard and a charcoal barbecue. So please feel free to drop by, hang around, whatever. I can cook some burgers, steaks, or smoke some ribs if there's interest. I'll be looking for an excuse to barbecue and sit on the deck with a cold drink. If you're hard up for a place to stay, you could probably pitch a tent in the yard, or even borrow space in ours, subject to wife approval. Drop me a line if you want more info.

Wow, thanks Tim.

I'm booked into Laurier Saturday (9th), Monday and Friday nights and will head home on other nights. I think Robin is at Laurier is at Laurier Friday and Saturday (16th) nights - so perhaps Friday the 15th evening could be a good night to take pity on a couple Running Maniacs. Sure, let's take specifics to Private Messages. Thanks for the offer!

I work 2/3 of the way to Waterloo from my home so will work the weeekday afternoons after AM races and just stick around Waterloo in between back-to-back race mornings. Shortly after I signed up for this, my wife signed up for Ironman Louisville, 8/24 so I am trying to get home at least every other night to pitch in to help her get some rest. Should be an interesting August.

Dave
Last edited by Double Bellybuster on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:14 pm

timc wrote:By the way, we live in Waterloo (less than 2 km from Laurier if you're staying there), and we have a big backyard and a charcoal barbecue. So please feel free to drop by, hang around, whatever. I can cook some burgers, steaks, or smoke some ribs if there's interest. I'll be looking for an excuse to barbecue and sit on the deck with a cold drink. If you're hard up for a place to stay, you could probably pitch a tent in the yard, or even borrow space in ours, subject to wife approval. Drop me a line if you want more info.

Wow, thanks Tim.

I'm booked into Laurier Saturday (9th), Monday and Friday nights and will head home on other nights. I think Robin is at Laurier is at Laurier Friday and Saturday (16th) nights - so perhaps Friday the 15th evening could be a good night to take pity on a couple Running Maniacs. Sure, let's take specifics to Private Messages. Thanks for the offer!

I work 2/3 of the way to Waterloo from my home so will work the weeekday afternoons after AM races and just stick around Waterloo in between back-to-back race mornings. Shortly after I signed up for this, my wife signed up for Ironman Louisville, 8/24 so I am trying to get home at least every other night to puch in help her get some rest. Should be an interesting August.

Dave

I should get a shirt but I didn't think I'd wear it....

Thanks for the offer Tim, hopefully we can arrange something of some kind for sure! I'm bad recognizing people so make sure you all look for me...I look like my photo :)

Dave congrats to your wife that's terrific! Ironman...good for her! Hope she gets some good weather, that can be a hot one!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:38 am

So looks like I'm the lone "Sport" female comeptitor this year (so far)....which means I'm officially racing with the men's group (as there's less than 3)...yikes!

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:04 am

Perhaps more entrants by price increase Thursday - but you will hold your own regardless!

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:14 am

Hoping to start posting here regularly again. I am signed up for the Ultimate along with my husband. We did the full thing in 2012 and loved every minute. I am very excited to do it again.
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:08 pm

hezzy wrote:Hoping to start posting here regularly again...

Great! Are we in for a world of hurt? :lol:

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Those who have competed in both the Ultra and the Sport (myself included) find that the Sport is actually more difficult. Chicopee is pretty much the hardest stage, and it's hard to start off doing that stage, rather than having the other races to ease into it (anyone doing the Sport this year just plug your ears and say "la la la" like I didn't say that). :lol:

I found by the end of the week, both mentally and physically, I was used to the running. My husband ran one of his fastest marathons, and the fastest he's run one in a number of years, the year he did the Ultimate.

I'm mainly in it for the fun and friendships. It's a great group of people that do the week, and a lot of times people return again and again, either as guests, Sport participants, or to do the full week. By the end of the week, you become family. We've made some lasting friendships.

Oh, I just read the post about wearing an ugly yellow shirt for the marathon. FYI, this is a No No. The winner of the previous stage wears a gold jersey, and no one else should be wearing yellow. I believe it's actually in the official rules. I think I actually wore a yellow shirt one stage, but there would be no mistaking me for the lead female :lol: Maybe one year they'll create a jersey for the slowest runner of the previous stage...

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Thanks Hezzy!

I agree that Stage 5 is a tough way to start. I actually had that in mind in my Sport debut last year and I checked the times of comparable runners from the prior year results so that I could pace myself evenly on laps. But with the course change from 700m of elevation gain in 2012 to 1000m in 2013, I added 5 minutes to prior year results when I should have added 20-25. So despite conservative intentions, my pace slid all day. For a first-timer, I would suggest it is impossible to run the first lap at too conservative a pace and that your breathing and/or heart rate should be no rougher than the first half hour at Around the Bay.

Good reminder on the yellow. I actually know that rule and have made sure to not break it previously. But in the categorization I my head this clearly yellow shirt was some other colour, I would have clued in when dressing for the race:

:oops:

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:13 pm

Good luck Tim, Heather, Robin and any lurkers! See you Sunday or Friday!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 am

Looks like Ultimates off to a good start today....see you all on Friday :) Happy running to all those running the ultimate...hope the weather holds out.

timc
Johnny Miles

Postby timc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:57 pm

Great run today! It was nice to meet Dave today, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the week.

It looks like a bigger potluck barbecue is being organized for Friday, pretty close to our house, so it might be better to meet up there.
~ Tim ~

2014 Race Results:

Next Races:
???

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:26 pm

That's our potluck Tim :) We had one last year when we did the Sport and it was well received so I figured I'd continue the tradition. All are welcome.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:25 pm

Hezzy....are you Heather Heij on FB? I'm Robin Brunet I'll send you friend request.

I just sent it...looking at your photo, I think we chatted at Creemore in the river after the race for a bit.

timc
Johnny Miles

Postby timc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:27 pm

hezzy wrote:That's our potluck Tim :) We had one last year when we did the Sport and it was well received so I figured I'd continue the tradition. All are welcome.

We live just up the hill near Lincoln Heights, so it's not hard to get there! :-)
~ Tim ~

2014 Race Results:

Next Races:
???

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:32 pm

timc wrote:Great run today! It was nice to meet Dave today, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the week.

Likewise Tim, nice to meet you.

Tim is very modest not to mention he had one of the fine performances of the day. Great job.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”