Trail Races in the Ottawa/Gatineau Area ...

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Trail Races in the Ottawa/Gatineau Area ...

Postby HCcD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Interesting happenings, in the Trail Races in the Ottawa/Gatineau Area ... or, there lack of ....

In response to last Thursday on Trirudy newsletter ...

5 PEAKS / MAD TRAPPER
Mike, please allow me to thank you for picking up the mantle so unceremoniously dropped by 5 Peaks. I was very sad to see that they would not be supporting any x-country races in our area this year. X-country races offer a very welcome break from the pavement pounding.

Thank you for supporting our local trail running events. I will do my best to try and help out whenever possible, and look forward to seeing you running with Dave and Lise's group again in the spring?

Valerie Pouliot

5PEAKS DECISION EXPLAINED

Yesterday, Thursday, there was a post from Valerie thanking me for picking up the mantle after the trail races here were "unceremoniously dropped by 5 Peaks"

I appreciate the vote of thanks but I don't want anyone thinking poorly of 5Peaks.

Ottawa is a ridiculously tough market to host any non-mainstream races. Despite Ottawa having the easiest access to one of the largest and most diverse trail networks in the world. Despite Ottawa having access to Dave McMahon and Lise Meloche and their tireless efforts to introduce people to exercising in the natural environment. Despite Ottawa having what may be one of the highest athlete per capita percentages in the world.

This area's 5Peaks races have failed to succeed in this region like they have elsewhere in Canada. The GTA 5Peaks races sell out with 700+ racers. The non 5Peaks races in Sutton attract 5 times the number of racers using the same course as 5Peaks.

I can't speak to Sutton, but I think the Camp Fortune and Ark races were 2 of the best run trail races in eastern Canada. We offer the best single track trails. They are always well marked, nobody gets lost, everyone is challenged. There are terrific post race prizes, a decent post race buffet, and an amazing social atmosphere.

Yet given the choice, the vast majority of Ottawa racers will choose to race 10k on the road before they venture onto the trail.

5Peaks is a business. When new management came into 5Peaks they simply looked at the numbers. Which races made the business money? Which broke even? And which races lost money?

The old 5Peaks management was extremely gracious in allowing the races to continue in this region as long as they did.

New management's decision to stop offering races here was the best decision for their bottom line. And the reality is that this decision would effect less than 0.0002% of the Ottawa population.

5Peaks can now focus their efforts in the communities where their races have more support and are more appreciated. For the sake of political correctness they'll never say it that way, but I certainly understand and support their decision.

I've decided to commit 2 more years to these summer and fall trail races. I'll do what I can to make the races even better than they already are and I'll do what I can to increase their exposure.

But I won't continue to bang my head against the wall forever. If racers want trail races in this region, then they need to support them.

Every summer I speak to hundreds of people who tell me they've been "meaning to" come out to a Mad Trapper snowshoe race, and every year a couple dozen of them show up. One year I'll probably stop banging my head against that wall too and I can't wait for the slew of emails.... "why'd you cancel the series? I was gonna come out this year... honestly".

5Peaks is a quality company. But they're a business that needs to pay the bills. The feedback from the Ottawa Race community was that their services weren't desired here.

I guess time will tell whether they made the correct decision or not.

Mike Caldwell
http://www.team-building-leadership.com
mike(at)team-building-leadership.com
819 422-1222
http://www.team-building-leadership.com
http://www.synergyark.com

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

carm
Bill Crothers

Re: Trail Races in the Ottawa/Gatineau Area ...

Postby carm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:34 pm

I saw that this morning. It's pretty sad how few trail runners there are in the region compared to road runners. Mike's definitely right when he says that most people would rather do 10k on the road than do a trail race. Most of my long runs in the Gats before my car accident involved only 1-3 other people. I think that trail running has a bad reputation for spraining ankles and other body parts. It happens, sure, but I really noticed how fast my feet got (due to the increased turn-over) and how strong my ankles got after just a few runs in the woods. You adapt, that's for sure. I also find that trail runs go by a lot faster than road runs. You look at your watch and 2 hours has passed. I plan on doing a lot more trail runs this coming year. It's the best.
Carm

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:16 pm

It's sad to read such stories, honestly. I'm jealous of all the nice trails in the eastern part of the province whenever I chat with people from the Ottawa, Kingston, Napanee area. I would love to run an ultramarathon there!

I look around the GTA and I see trail running as a growing trend. We are fortunate to have a well established and supported trail running community that tries to make the most of the trails and green spaces we have. Sometimes I laugh at what I have to call a "trail" here, but I digress...

If you build it they will come. My friends and I drive across the border and through the province for a nice ultra. I am sure I am not the only one in the GTA who would love to see E.Ontario put on a trail race that caters to everyone from 5k to 50-100miles. There is some progress with the new 50k added to the Ontario Ultra Series. It's a trail race in its second year, staged in Mattawa. I wish them success and I pray that they put on a longer distance (50 miler or longer) to lure us ultrafolks there.

I'm sorry for 5Peaks' loss... I have seen a lot of competition between trail events in the GTA in the last few years not only between OUS and 5Peaks, but also between OUS events and other smaller races. It's tough for individual races to subsist, but look at Run for the Toad and the numbers they get every year... So, for the love of trails, Eastern Ontario, put on a decent ultra already! :lol:

Happy trails,
UQ
Ultrarunner again

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Regional differences aside, the reason I have never run a 5 Peaks race is the cost. The value just doesn't seem to be there, especially given the short distances offered, and the cheap/free ones offered by others. :/
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:38 pm

carm wrote:I saw that this morning. It's pretty sad how few trail runners there are in the region compared to road runners. Mike's definitely right when he says that most people would rather do 10k on the road than do a trail race. Most of my long runs in the Gats before my car accident involved only 1-3 other people. I think that trail running has a bad reputation for spraining ankles and other body parts. It happens, sure, but I really noticed how fast my feet got (due to the increased turn-over) and how strong my ankles got after just a few runs in the woods. You adapt, that's for sure. I also find that trail runs go by a lot faster than road runs. You look at your watch and 2 hours has passed. I plan on doing a lot more trail runs this coming year. It's the best.

Agreed! In the non-winter months I try to devote as much time as I can to trails. I usually just hit the greenbelt trails but I want to venture into Gatineau Park more this year. I know for sure that the varying terrain has helped strengthen my legs and ankles and ever since I stopped bringing my iPod on trail runs, I haven't even spilled any blood, LOL :mrgreen:

The first few runs are always tougher because of the different stride, but it doesn't take long before I'm back into the swing of things. I'm not sure you can beat hopping over roots, diving around corners, the smells of the forest and the sightings of deer and other animals. The time does fly by and as an added bonus, the shade of the tree canopy helps me deal with the summer heat.

I was actually looking into the trail races down in Vermont as a possible getaway one weekend. I'm not fast and I do worry that I'd slow people down on single track trails, but I do find it far more enjoyable than the road that's for sure.

Carm, do you have any specific routes in Gatineau that you would recommend? I know the trail network is huge . . .

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:47 pm

NMG wrote:Carm, do you have any specific routes in Gatineau that you would recommend? I know the trail network is huge . . .

I'm far from an expert. Strider would be the Maniac to ask about routes since he's our local mountain goat, but I can suggest a couple that are good for beginner/intermediates. I was training for a 17.5k trail race in the fall (before I got rear-ended in my car and got mild whip-lash) so I did a few runs in the 1h15-2h00 range as my LSD. My pace was a lot slower than my road pace (7-8:00/km most of the time) and I really enjoyed being out in nature. If you ever want to go for a run next summer/fall, let me know! We would find a way to stay together. Most trail runners that I ran with were much faster than me (they were ultra-training) but they were so gracious to stop at all the junctions, re-group and then go on.

I really like #36 from O'Brien Beach parking lot. It's a classic out and back (6K each way), but you can add on by doing a dog-leg on another trail (the # escapes me). Navigation is really easy and there always a lot of hikers there. It's a blue square rating so the terrain is rolling and thus, a bit easier than most of the black diamonds in GP. It's a good intro to trail running in the Gats route IMO. Paid parking is in effect after 9 am during the summer months since the beach is there.

Another one that I've done is a crazy multi-loop adventure from Kingsmere parking lot. It included Skyline (#6?), #17(?), XX (can't remember the connector) and #1 (Ridge). Ridge runs along a good chunk of the Park and is more of an access road (crushed gravel/packed dirt?) so you can gain some distance there. Skyline has a very nice view and the footing is more technical and rocky.

We also did a route from Blanchet Beach, which involved a couple of loops. Jes did that one with me but I can't recall the trail #'s. It was a bit more difficult to navigate but not that bad.

I did another with the Natural Fitness Lab from Keogan before but I can't remember the details. We ran along Ridge for awhile and there is an unmarked loop for interval work.
Carm

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:52 pm

See, it might be 'Ottawa area' , but it takes me about an hour to drive to Fortune from Barrhaven. I'm just not that interested in doing that for a 6k race (and the longer ones are too hard for me). Same with the Ark. Good race, just way too far away.

Last Chance Triathlon (part of Somersault) is back on the books for this year and includes a trail run (in the Greenbelt, so pretty tame). Joe and I are talking about doing that one.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:03 pm

jes wrote:See, it might be 'Ottawa area' , but it takes me about an hour to drive to Fortune from Barrhaven. I'm just not that interested in doing that for a 6k race (and the longer ones are too hard for me). Same with the Ark. Good race, just way too far away.

Last Chance Triathlon (part of Somersault) is back on the books for this year and includes a trail run (in the Greenbelt, so pretty tame). Joe and I are talking about doing that one.

Yeah with a little one at home, it's hard to tack on an extra couple hours to your workout. I'm still used to longer drives from my scuba diving days in 2007-2008 when we would drive to Brockville or Kingston for the day. I also regularly drove to Gatineau/Aylmer for underwater hockey and Gamelin for bike rides, so QC doesn't seem that far to me even though I live about the same distance away as you do. I spend a lot of time in my car. :oops:

The trail around Nepean Sportsplex is really nice. The footing is really tame but you still get some nice forest scenery right in the city. I might pencil in that race for the fall as well.
Carm

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:06 pm

carm wrote:
jes wrote:See, it might be 'Ottawa area' , but it takes me about an hour to drive to Fortune from Barrhaven. I'm just not that interested in doing that for a 6k race (and the longer ones are too hard for me). Same with the Ark. Good race, just way too far away.

Yeah with a little one at home, it's hard to tack on an extra couple hours to your workout. I'm still used to longer drives from my scuba diving days in 2007-2008 when we would drive to Brockville or Kingston for the day. I also regularly drove to Gatineau/Aylmer for underwater hockey and Gamelin for bike rides, so QC doesn't seem that far to me even though I live about the same distance away as you do. I spend a lot of time in my car. :oops:

The trail around Nepean Sportsplex is really nice. The footing is really tame but you still get some nice forest scenery right in the city. I might pencil in that race for the fall as well.

Yes, it's definitely different concerns now. But gas isn't cheap either :)
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:32 pm

carm wrote:
NMG wrote:Carm, do you have any specific routes in Gatineau that you would recommend? I know the trail network is huge . . .

I'm far from an expert. Strider would be the Maniac to ask about routes since he's our local mountain goat, but I can suggest a couple that are good for beginner/intermediates. I was training for a 17.5k trail race in the fall (before I got rear-ended in my car and got mild whip-lash) so I did a few runs in the 1h15-2h00 range as my LSD. My pace was a lot slower than my road pace (7-8:00/km most of the time) and I really enjoyed being out in nature. If you ever want to go for a run next summer/fall, let me know! We would find a way to stay together. Most trail runners that I ran with were much faster than me (they were ultra-training) but they were so gracious to stop at all the junctions, re-group and then go on.

I really like #36 from O'Brien Beach parking lot. It's a classic out and back (6K each way), but you can add on by doing a dog-leg on another trail (the # escapes me). Navigation is really easy and there always a lot of hikers there. It's a blue square rating so the terrain is rolling and thus, a bit easier than most of the black diamonds in GP. It's a good intro to trail running in the Gats route IMO. Paid parking is in effect after 9 am during the summer months since the beach is there.

Another one that I've done is a crazy multi-loop adventure from Kingsmere parking lot. It included Skyline (#6?), #17(?), XX (can't remember the connector) and #1 (Ridge). Ridge runs along a good chunk of the Park and is more of an access road (crushed gravel/packed dirt?) so you can gain some distance there. Skyline has a very nice view and the footing is more technical and rocky.

We also did a route from Blanchet Beach, which involved a couple of loops. Jes did that one with me but I can't recall the trail #'s. It was a bit more difficult to navigate but not that bad.

I did another with the Natural Fitness Lab from Keogan before but I can't remember the details. We ran along Ridge for awhile and there is an unmarked loop for interval work.

That's awesome, thanks for the info! I will definitely check those out and perhaps we can meet up at some point next year. It's always nice to run with others!

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:24 pm

carm wrote:Yeah with a little one at home, it's hard to tack on an extra couple hours to your workout.

This is my main reason for my lack of real trail running at the moment. I try to run on the greenbelt "trails"/paths as much as I can outside the winter. Luckily I can run or bike to work using mostly Greenbelt trails. There are also a few basic trails around the Beaver Pond and off Innovation Drive in Kanata which is close to work. Hopefully I'll get to the Gats more in some future time when I get a bit more time.

I do tentatively have the Wakefield Trail Half on my schedule for May and of course Fat Ass Batawa again in November.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”