Run Woodstock

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Run Woodstock

Postby ngcaper » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Just seeing if anyone is considering this...the date sounds about right for a 2nd run for me this year, and from all I see/read it sounds like a pretty cool event.

I've read cbakers review from last year and WGR's pacing write up. It's a bloody long drive from Ottawa so I'd likely turn it into a bit of a vacation with the trailer in tow. I personally would like to run something that starts with a 50, just undecided on the acronym used at the end.

As you can tell I'm working really hard today...:)
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Re: Run Woodstock

Postby cbaker1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:45 pm

I am signed up for the 100 miler this year.

I think Ron is also signed up or will be signing up. Great fun. Book your camping spot early if you are planning to stay onsite. They will sell out quickly. I am 3 spots down from the aid station.

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks cbaker...I now just need to convince my wife it's a good idea to take some holiday there :)

If I miss out on the camp site according to google there's a few others around the area. I'd prefer to stay on site, but there's a backup plan if necessary.

How was the camping? quiet? a rocking party the entire weekend?

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Hmmmm.... already have DH driving me to Finger Lakes NY in Oct (5+ hours), and Sulphur in May (5+ hours), and something in August (5+ hours) -- I better quit while I'm ahead!! :lol:
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:57 pm

The 100 starts on Friday at 4 PM, so I dont know how late the party goes but when I came by the aid station around 11 PM it was quiet all around. I was dead to the wind on Saturday and the live music stopped at a decent hour. Maybe 9 PM or so. I assume that since Run Woodstock rents all the campsites it wouldnt be too noisey.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:10 am

I am in for the 100 miler.

If you are doing one of the shorter races then be sue to take in the free fun runs. I did the 5K on Friday Eve and it was allot of fun. A couple of Ks in you can go left and run natural for a K or so or turn right to keep your clothes on. I was surprised to see the majority going left.

I waited Friday Eve until almost midnight to pace Cbaker. There was some partying going on but nothing too offensive or overly noisy. They do have a designated "party" area so you may wish to avoid that area as well as the start/finish ...lots of activity there.

This is a fun event and the venue and entertainment are really cool. I would recommend it as a destination run especially if you have a trailer and can stay in the campground the event is staged from. I am sure you will make lots of new friends and have tons of stories after the event.

I choose to do the 100 miler because there was around 200 doing the long one...lots of company out there. The aide stations were well stocked with enthusiastic volunteers. The course wasn't overly tough. Some long flat sections , some rolling sections, no monster hills but it does get quite mucky when it rains so it adds a whole lotta effort into getting around. Michigan can also be extremely warm and humid in September. Last year when I arrived at 7pm Firday it was 28C with 85% humidity then a cold front went through and the temperature plummeted to around the mid teens so roll the dice when it comes to weather.

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Been meaning to say thank you for this. Working on the misses...wish me luck. The race sounds like a blast and not to be a party pooper, but glad to hear its not a 24/7 rocking drunk fest.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Not a lot of campsites left. Running friends just booked Campsite #95. I think there is only #94, which is right beside the aid station left in the main area. There are still 20 or so on the small road into the main camping area...

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 pm

Shes in, nothing like a little, there's nothing left pressure to get an agreement. I'll register in the morning for both of us.

SWEET!!! See you there.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:14 am

Alright registered and booked in site 163...looks easy to pull in the pop-up and far away from the "rowdy" area. Hope it's ok.

I registered for the 50M...God help me. We'll most likely stick around and camp for the proceeding week somewhere in Michigan or S. Ontario...have never visited either but for my sister in London and landing for transfers in the Detroit airport.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:28 am

Don't worry. With all runners there, even the rowdy area is pretty tame I think. Its going to be a fun weekend! You might here a few screams of delight as some of us 100 milers hopefully make the 30 hour cut off on Saturday night.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Looks like we are going to paint Woodstock Orange , welcome aboard ngcaper.

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks gents looking forward to meeting you and screaming in delight as you both hammer the 100m. Now I'll need to find something orange to stand out. Although I do appear to be following you around WGR. ATB, Sulphur, and now Woodstock.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”