New ultra: Fernie

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
ultraslacker
Site Admin

New ultra: Fernie

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:05 am

Got this in an email today:

Alrighty folks! Ready for some more fun in the dirt? Well, it's official! We're heading to Fernie, BC this summer for the inaugural Fernie Ultra: Trail Run, Mountain Bike and Relay. Fantastic Fernie has always been a huge supporter of the trail running and mountain biking communities. The great people of Fernie have worked tirelessly building a worldclass system of trails that provide seemingly endless kilometres of fun. Needless to say, we're stoked to be hosting another event in this amazing mountain town.

Here are the details so far:

Dates: Saturday, June 29th and Sunday, June 30th

Format: Saturday trail run composed of six, point-to-point legs covering approximately 80km with solo and teams of 3 or 6. Sunday mountain bike on the same, or similar course (pending weather conditions) with the same format.

Trail Runner The Route (subject to change):
Thanks to organizations like the Fernie Trails Alliance, the Fernie trail system rivals the best in the world. Riders and runners alike will be treated to a challenging and beautiful route, covering approximately 80km with 3000m of climbing to spectacular alpine vistas. Look for the inclusion of Sherwoody, Verbotten, Tamarack, Mushroom Head, Hyperventilation trails with Transition Areas at Island Lake Lodge, Fernie's Annex Park and Coal Creek .

Support and Swag: The best course support around with fully stocked checkpoints (Ultima, Honeystinger, fruit and other goodies), professional timing and course marking, medical support, finishline bbq and entertainment, draw prizes and a sweet Fernie Ultra pint glass.

Registration: Registration is scheduled to open March 1st with more information posted in the coming weeks at http://www.transrockies.com.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Re: New ultra: Fernie

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Ah Fernie... When I skied there first about 25 years ago, there was a quaint small village and a mountain with no one on it! I distinctly recall getting to the bottom of the hill, standing in line for the chair, nobody else in the line. A couple came up behind me, so I said " you can go ahead of me if you like". Their reply? "No, it's all right. We need to rest first"!

What a great venue for an ultra! Maybe one year I can run it, then head back east quickly to prepare for Creemore!
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Re: New ultra: Fernie

Postby West Grey Runner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm

So tempting, I have wanted to run something involving the Rockies. Sound like an amazing Ultra :dance:

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”