Gatineau

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Gatineau

Postby ngcaper » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:26 am

Anyone been up to the park lately on the trails? With all the rain, and somewhat warm weather I'm wondering if it's ok to visit? I'm less interested in this weekend then then next, but good to know the state of things early. Out this way the trails in Marlborough Forrest are muddy with some puddles, but free of snow/ice. The Osgoode pathway was clear for 25k this past Sunday.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Gatineau

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:23 pm

I haven't been up there, but I know that before the weekend, people were still out and skiing. Are you on the Natural Fitness Labs FB group? I bet a post there would know.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Thanks Scrumhalfgirl. I'd need a FB account to do that :) I'm probably the 1 and only without. Once I learned how FB is datamined it got a little creepy so I nixed the account.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:29 am

Set a up FB account as your dog, that is what I did. They can mine data about my Puppy Strider all they want.

So this weekend coach has me running an easy 30min Saturday before Sunday Spring Fling, so not trails :(

Next weekend you and I will do Frontenac. I would plan on that being a solid 4hrs

Weekend after we should be able to run from the Park Entrance, the snow SHOULD be gone by then.

I would imagine that you could run a few loops of the NCC trails off Hunt Club where we met up before this weekend. I was out by Hazeldean mall / Stoney Swamp on Sunday and they were still a little snow covered but manageable. Be prepared to have wet feet, don't even bother trying to go around things, just run/wade right through it.

Fun Times ahead
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Haha per puppy Strider on FB. Good luck at spring fling. I may try heading to the Gatz Saturday or Sunday morning regardless. Get some hill time in, wet/muddy/snowy what ever. Thinking Gatz Saturday and Osgoode trail Sunday. My B'day is the next weekend so Frontenac may be iffy as I think the misses has some plans, but I'll let you know.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:58 pm

ngcaper wrote: My B'day is the next weekend so Frontenac may be iffy as I think the misses has some plans, but I'll let you know.

Happy early B-day. Nice night in Westport would be a perfect present http://www.coveinn.com/, followed by a run in the park.,...
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Strider, how are the trails in Frontenac? Are they really technical? Groomed? Is there lots of elevation change? Looks like a nice place for a mini-vacation to do some running and fishing :D

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:14 am

Hey I'm back in for Frontenac. We we're planning on spending some of next weekend in the Gatz with mtn bikes but its a bit rough so we'll delay. So unless things changed I'll be there next Sat in Westport. I managed 26k in 3hrs yesterday starting at Gamilin and it was in rough shape so slow going. More creek and ice than trail. A lot of fun but damn that water is cold when you break through to near knee deep. Lots of walking to get around ponds on the trails. When after about 2hrs out I'd not seem another person I started to question my sanity but loved every minute of it. If the weather was warmer I'd have stayed out longer, but the cold air and being soaked falling through the ice, and running through the "creeks" on the trail I needed to warm up.

Hope Spring Fling went well.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:36 pm

NMG wrote:Strider, how are the trails in Frontenac? Are they really technical? Groomed? Is there lots of elevation change? Looks like a nice place for a mini-vacation to do some running and fishing :D

They are not technical like Camp Fortune technical, but far from groomed. Nice challenging single track for the most. Elevation change? Well not a lot of sustained climbing, but practically not one flat section so constant elevation change.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:42 pm

ngcaper wrote:Hey I'm back in for Frontenac. We we're planning on spending some of next weekend in the Gatz with mtn bikes but its a bit rough so we'll delay. So unless things changed I'll be there next Sat in Westport. I managed 26k in 3hrs yesterday starting at Gamilin and it was in rough shape so slow going. More creek and ice than trail. A lot of fun but damn that water is cold when you break through to near knee deep. Lots of walking to get around ponds on the trails. When after about 2hrs out I'd not seem another person I started to question my sanity but loved every minute of it. If the weather was warmer I'd have stayed out longer, but the cold air and being soaked falling through the ice, and running through the "creeks" on the trail I needed to warm up.

Hope Spring Fling went well.

Thanks for the update, I was thinking of hitting the Gatz next weekend, but based on this report not a chance. Perfect, we can run the same North Loop I ran with Derrick. Just over 3.5hrs, sound good? Here is the route

Fling went well thanks = 1:37:29, negative split and felt strong at the end, so happy with the day.

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:55 pm

Sound great, and the long range forecast calls for 18 and sunny next Saturday, so fingers crossed Awesome run at spring fling another sub 100min 1/2. Just got back from a nice 20 on the TCT in Stittsville, with the misses on her bike yelling mush mush!!!

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Strider wrote:
NMG wrote:Strider, how are the trails in Frontenac? Are they really technical? Groomed? Is there lots of elevation change? Looks like a nice place for a mini-vacation to do some running and fishing :D

They are not technical like Camp Fortune technical, but far from groomed. Nice challenging single track for the most. Elevation change? Well not a lot of sustained climbing, but practically not one flat section so constant elevation change.

Cool, thanks for the info. Sounds like another spot to put on the list!

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”