Ultra Series

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Ultra Series

Postby daddy_runner » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:26 pm

After my experiences at Superior this year, I'm starting to think that I can finish a 100. And not just one, but an entire race series. Obviously, I would have to get in good shape over the winter.

Anybody ever try running multiple 100s in a year? If so, any words of wisdom?
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

trailzen
Johnny Miles

Re: Ultra Series

Postby trailzen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Ran 3 last year and felt great, May, Sept and Dec. 2 this year so far but if there was to be another festival of stupidity in creemore would definitely get reeled into a third. Depends on how you run them, if you really push a 100 it will take at least a month if not two for your body to fully recover, that being said it could be done but racing the Ontario ultra series in 2011 by the end of the year my body was a wreck.

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Not quite a 100 miler and not quite in Creemore, but check the thread on Dunedin 50 miler on November 2 (Bad Idea #21031102). I promise the course will seem like 100 miles...
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:28 am

I've been avoiding to post in this thread because it reminds me of things I would do differently when it comes to running and racing ultras and 100 milers.

In 2009 I won the series free entry. I was training for my first 100 at Sulphur and by September I thought running Haliburton 100 was a good idea. So I did 2 100 milers that year and various other distances.

In 2010 I got greedy and did 5 100 milers (Rocky Raccoon, Jerseyville, Sulphur, Burning River, Haliburton) and was feeling pretty dead by the end of the season. I was catching colds at the mere mention of the word. Yeah, 5 in a year is a bit pushing it, but I was hooked.

In 2011 I was still feeling ok, ran 3 100 milers (Winter Beast of Burden, Sulphur, Haliburton) and was generally excited and getting ready to train for HURT100. 2011 was a good year and 2-3 100s in a year make sense.

Then in 2012 I did 3 100s again (HURT, Sulphur, Haliburton), but by now I was starting to frey at the edges and the years of no breaks was starting to show. My hip/piriformis/hamstring problem developed then and pretty much sidelined me this year. I've been battling a very stubborn hamstring tendinopathy since winter, I've had to take 9 weeks off this summer and I just started with baby steps again, but things are not looking very good at the moment. :(

So, lesson to take home is: TAKE TIME OFF TO RECOVER if you plan to stick around running ultras. Recover, heal, maintain. It's definitely doable, and when you notice you are getting carried away and slightly greedy about the number of races run, take a step back and look at the big picture. You're in for The long run, not A long run. ;)

UQ out
Ultrarunner again

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks for posting your experience UltraQueenga -- sorry to hear you are sidelined, and I really hope that your are able to come back to what you really love!

I also asked myself where the "tipping point" was, so I will stick with 2 100-milers for next year (Sulphur and Haliburton), and be happy that I can even do this crazy sport we all seem to love!! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:54 am

Nice to hear from you UQ.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:56 am

orleansrunner1962 wrote:Thanks for posting your experience UltraQueenga -- sorry to hear you are sidelined, and I really hope that your are able to come back to what you really love!

I also asked myself where the "tipping point" was, so I will stick with 2 100-milers for next year (Sulphur and Haliburton), and be happy that I can even do this crazy sport we all seem to love!! :D

Hmmm didn't know you added a 2nd to your list :) I'm going to run Sulphur and will look into Haliburton to maybe keep you company (though not for 100 miles).

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:12 pm

It's always exciting to try to find your limits. Everyone is different, you can get away with a lot of abuse and your body adjusts to a lot of strain and fatigue. Your pain threshold changes a lot and that can be a problem when you do permanent damage to yourself.

The problem with 100 milers is that they make you feel like you're on top of the world and you stop listening to the signals, because you train to overcome your body. And that in and of itself is no different from other sports, it's just that you do it so much longer (a day or more), which, any way you look at it, is extreme.

Live and learn... I've gone through a couple of really rough (read, depressing) months and I'm not out of the woods yet. The problem area is either healing or I'm becoming mentally adjusted to doing daily rehab exercises and am becoming complacent. I can't ride my bike because the problem is right at the sit bone, so some days 15-20 minutes. I hate pools and bleach, so swimming is out. I've been inline skating, which, if you can stay upright, can be a low impact sport. ;) Anything that loads the hamstring too much causes the tendon to flare up, so I have to be super careful with my exercises as well.

I do hope to slowly come back to my favourite distance and spend time on the trails. Maybe even come out to some events...
Ultrarunner again

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks for the words of wisdom everybody!

I'm not planning on pushing any individual race hard, just want to finish. I know I'm never going to place in the top half of the field, so just finishing is good enough for me. The race series I've been eyeing is the Gnarly Bandit (Zumbro, Kettle Moraine, Black Hills, Superior, and Wild Duluth). I've already signed up for Black Hills.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:08 am

Cool races! Good luck with the training and enjoy the events. Let us know how they go and post a link to the webcasts or to the results.
Ultrarunner again

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”