New Western States Qualifying Race list

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
rungeek
Tom Longboat

New Western States Qualifying Race list

Postby rungeek » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:49 pm

I saw this on twitter yesterday so checked it out (for no particular reason...honest).

Here's the link to the races that can be used to qualify for the lottery in 2015. Quite different that 2014 qualifiers.

http://www.wser.org/qualifying-races/

What I found to be really interesting was that there are only two Canadian qualifiers and both are in Alberta: Lost Souls and the Death Race. If anybody has run both; which of the qualifying times is more "do-able" ? Just curious...

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: New Western States Qualifying Race list

Postby ian » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:45 pm

I don't imagine there are a lot (if any) people on this board who have run both these races, therefore I suppose my perspective might be useful as someone that trains with a couple guys who have done them recently.

Both times look doable for a somewhat experienced runner, so I think it comes down to preference: CDR with tricky footing, extended climbs and some night running versus a shorter LSU in daylight with finite (but frequent) climbs. On a good day, you could get further under the standard for CDR but I think that LSU would lead to fewer bad days. Logistically, CDR will be more expensive and more demanding on your crew than LSU.

Are there any misgivings in the ultra community for having a single standard across all ages and genders?

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:27 pm

Curious why Haliburton and Sulphur would have fallen off. It makes it tougher, meaning more travel for many Ontario runners to try and qualify. Maybe the median times are too quick? Just a guess...
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

rungeek
Tom Longboat

Postby rungeek » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:16 pm

I wondered about the lack of races outside AB as well. Some other commentary I've heard from the US points to the same issues in some regions there as well.

Thanks for the qualifier comments Ian. Logistically CDR is a pain as it seems hotels are already in short supply plus if I ever ran it I would be crew-less so the limited aid stations and drop bag locations would add to the fun. I got kind of spoiled at WS in 2005 with aid stations seemingly every few miles and a spectacular crew.

Again, this was more of curiousity than anything for me at this point but I love running related lists and tables . :D

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:45 am

After reading through the qualifying changes to WS, it appears that they are using 100 mile races in USA and "mainly" 100K races outside the USA. I think the reasoning is that 100K is a more standard distance internationally.

Please note that WS is NOT a qualifier for the Dunedin 50 miler...

I know, call it a humour drought!
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Sucks that Hali and SS are out but soooo happy they changed the qualifying. Maybe I will get in before the zombie apocalypse happens.

Lots of races close for Ontario peeps, Burning River, Mohican, Laurel, Oil Creek are all pretty close.
2014 races (this year)
June 22 Mohican 100m, July 5 Creemore 50k, July 12 Limberlost 56k, Aug 8 Dirty Girls 48hr, Sept 6 Haliburton 100, Oct 11 Oil Creek 100m
coaching site: http://www.candcrunningfactory.com/
personal blog: http://www.chrismcpeake.blogspot.ca/

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”