100 mile mental tips

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

100 mile mental tips

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:29 am

the linked article by Ian Sharman explains why I neve make to 100 miles. I don't have the mental even if I did have the physical:

http://www.ultrarunning.com/featured/preparation-to-finish-your-first-100-miler/
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

rungeek
Tom Longboat

Re: 100 mile mental tips

Postby rungeek » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 am

The one, and so far only, time that I ran a 100 mile race, I kept the mental side very simple. In the time leading up to the race I kept the thought in my head that the only way I wouldn't finish was if I was pulled from the race. I never left an opening for me to make the decision not to finish; it would be decided by the medical team at an aid station or by missing a cutoff. As long as none of those things happened, I kept moving. I was surprised that I never really faced any mental arguments even late at night when I wasn't really having much fun.

I'm a wimp nowadays though. :oops: :lol:

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks for posting this Laura -- it is very much a mental game, and you NEED to give yourself a serious talking to -- my crew was told that if I had a pulse, they were to keep me out there!! :lol: AND I had the most awesome pacers -- the time just flew by, chitchatting and getting to know Robin and Ken better! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:23 am

orleansrunner1962 wrote:Thanks for posting this Laura -- it is very much a mental game, and you NEED to give yourself a serious talking to -- my crew was told that if I had a pulse, they were to keep me out there!! :lol: AND I had the most awesome pacers -- the time just flew by, chitchatting and getting to know Robin and Ken better! :D

There was no way you were NOT going to finish. I think at one point I told you I'd drag you across the finish line but you were going to finish lol.... Thankfully that wasn't necessary, you did great! Looked fresh as a daisy at the end.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:59 pm

I think the words "mental" and "Sylvie" go together.....and, yes, I resemble that remark. :dance:
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”