*sigh* Sportiva

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
ultraslacker
Site Admin

*sigh* Sportiva

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:25 pm

as usual, Sportiva can't go a couple of seasons without discontinuing models. :/

I had to replace my raptor with the new ultra raptor.

I took them on a tough long run yesterday and they gave me big blisters on the backs of my heels.

the ultra raptors have this weird plastic/foam stuff inside the back heel liner. It seems to be what gave me the blisters. I could feel them rubbing on all the uphills. :/

Of course this means these shoes aren't going to work for me for long runs, though I can probably still wear them for short runs. :/

Any suggestions for other shoes to try? None of the new sportivas are going to work for me, which makes me really sad because historically it's the only trail brand I've worn. So now I need to go shopping for something else....

ideas??
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Re: *sigh* Sportiva

Postby Strider » Wed May 07, 2014 7:09 am

I have moved from LaSportiva to Inov8's with a brief stop in Hoka land. Hoka's might serve you well.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed May 07, 2014 9:07 am

I can't handle the clown feet aspect of hokas. lol

I still haven't gone shopping for a new shoe. I have worn my old raptors for my long runs, but that can't last forever because they are getting holes in them.

Thinking of trying some Salomons.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Wed May 07, 2014 10:08 am

I did a lot of my trail running last year in the Brooks Pure Grit and liked them a lot.

Now I'm using the Altra Lone Peak 1.5 and like them even more.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Wed May 07, 2014 10:11 am

erinmcd wrote:Now I'm using the Altra Lone Peak 1.5 and like them even more.
I like my Altra road shoes a lot, can't speak to the trail versions. I love the wide toe box, I have such a hard time finding shoes that fit.

sandstone
Tom Longboat

Postby sandstone » Wed May 07, 2014 11:11 pm

ultraslacker wrote:Thinking of trying some Salomons.

I have (mostly) made my peace with the Ultra Raptors, I had to monkey around with different sock choices for a bit, and put on a bit more Sport Shield, but I got them to the place where they didn't rub my heels. Worth it to me mostly because I love the grippy soles, best thing about the Raptor/Ultra Raptor and I haven't found a shoe yet that comes close. I do feel your pain though :evil: .

Which is to say, if you like the toe box on La Sportiva shoes you may not like Salomons, I found that Salomons universally abraded the tops of my toes no matter what model I tried, and I tried several just to be fair.
there's no situation that can't be improved by adding bacon.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu May 08, 2014 12:56 am

ah good info, thanks.

I wonder if I can make the ultra raptors work for me. On the long run day when they gave me the blisters I was wearing wool socks (that I've worn on many other runs) so I might try some different socks and see if it helps.

My next race is relatively gentle, not much climbing so I think I'm going to wear them and use lots of body glide on my heels... and hope for the best. I don't have spare cash right now to experiment with another pair of shoes that may or may not work. :/

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:43 pm

Always frustrating when a company discontinues a favourite model for sure. La Sportiva generally tends to be better than most companies with keeping some of their core models in their line like the Wildcat, Crosslite and CrossOver GTX. I've worn 23 pairs of the CrossLites since 2008 and loved them…though I know that some good things must come to an end at some point.

Hope that you've been able to get some good runs in Ultra Raptor. I sometimes find that it takes a little while for some of the more substantial/bulkier shoes to break in a bit more due to the rock plate/protection in the forefoot causing them to be a little stiff. That's what I found in the Bushido.
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:53 am

spaff wrote:I sometimes find that it takes a little while for some of the more substantial/bulkier shoes to break in a bit more due to the rock plate/protection in the forefoot causing them to be a little stiff. That's what I found in the Bushido.

I noticed that with my Wildcat's. My first few runs I found them pretty hard, but they've gradually broken in and now they feel very supportive. I don't find them mushy, but a nice firm type of support. I find them similar to my Mizuno's in that regard.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:35 am

It's just the stupid plastic lining inside the heel that is the issue. I only wear them now when I know I won't have big climbs. :/ still need to find a solution for the tougher runs. Tonight I will be wearing my old raptors. They have a lot of miles on them but I think they are good for one more long run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”