Headlamp/Lighting

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Headlamp/Lighting

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:44 am

I went out for my run on Saturday at 4:00 am to get it done before Amelia and I headed off for the weekend. Used my clip on light from Running Room... while it was somewhat sufficient for that purpose, it's not that great. As I ponder my crazy decision to run 100 miles this year I know I'll need better lighting. Have googled for reviews/info but nothing that leads me anywhere.

What does everyone use? I bought a small one on the weekend that will clip onto my waist somewhere, but still looking for one for my head. Any suggestions (i.e. long battery life etc).

Thanks

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Headlamp/Lighting

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:52 am

I have a Petzl (Tikka 2). Love it.
This thread seems to confirm Petzl is good.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47659
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:37 pm

Another old thread that may "shed some light"...
http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35044
All depends on what you need. If it is a 100 mile trail race through the woods, then that's very different from just highlighting the curbs and bumps on an urban sidewalk. I like Strider's set-up of one on the head for seeing what is up ahead on the trail and one around the waist to show what's happening closer to your feet. Not that I've done trail-running at night for a long time. And once you get tired in a 100 mile race, you would need more light to compensate for the slower thinking powers.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:04 pm

I have a petzl as well and really like it. I don't run into problems with battery life, but I've never run all night with it either :wink: .

I like that my headlamp has two brightness settings, plus a small diffuser so that you can either point a beam of light straight at your feet (bumpy or difficult trail) or diffuse it out over a bigger area for generalized better lighting. Its just a small piece of plastic that you can slide back and forth. Mine is tiltable, but doesn't flop around or fall. I had an old cheapie that would only ever point straight down! Finally, the battery is very small, light, and rechargable. You might be fine with one, or buy a second battery and carry it for backup.

Headlamps and baseball-style hats don't work well together - I have a small LED light that fits into the brim of a baseball hat if thats what I feel like wearing (Thanks again to Stampie, my sectret santa last year!). Great for city path running, but might not give you a good enough view of your feet. With my other headlamp, I prefer to wear a hairband or buff so it doesn't get tangled in sweaty hair and is less likely to move around.

And good luck!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks all...gonna read the threads (should have done a search here first)...

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:01 am

I'm a regular early morning runner, so my trail runs are in the dark for about 9 months of the year. I have a Petzl Tikka 2, which I find not nearly bright enough. I use a Cree headlamp- you can get them cheap on ebay, it's ridiculously bright, and the rechargable battery has a long life (I get 6-8 hrs on it). If you do buy one from ebay though make sure batteries are included- it takes some odd battery that's hard to find. The only down side is that it's big- has a pretty massive reflector, so if you're doing a long race and you have to throw carry it in your backpack it's a lot heavier than other headlamps on the market.

I've got one coming from Coast that should be arriving in the next few days. I'll test it out and report back.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:28 am

I am still using my petzl myo xp and it is still awesome.

I actually do wear a running hat with it and while there is a bit of brim shadow it doesn't impede me.

If I am worried about battery life I just bring spares.

Have also learned the value of a second, handheld LED flashlight. It just adds that much more visibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:57 pm

As I ponder my crazy decision to run 100 miles this year I know I'll need better lighting

You need more then a better light :lol:

I love the 2 light option because it cuts down on shadows plus you can't beat a redundant system! I am using an old Petzel with the external battery pack. Its a bit cumbersome but it does takes he weight off the head. MEC is pretty good for lights .... just get one of the more expensive ones and you should do fine.

What 100 miler are you doing ... I am guessing you changed to 2 laps at Hali.

Good luck and have fun.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:37 pm

West Grey Runner wrote:
You need more then a better light :lol:

I love the 2 light option because it cuts down on shadows plus you can't beat a redundant system! I am using an old Petzel with the external battery pack. Its a bit cumbersome but it does takes he weight off the head. MEC is pretty good for lights .... just get one of the more expensive ones and you should do fine.

What 100 miler are you doing ... I am guessing you changed to 2 laps at Hali.

Good luck and have fun.

Ha yes definitely more than a better light....that's for sure!

Still considering Hali in 2015 for my first 100...haven't ruled out Sulphur but leaning towards Hali (nicer bling...I'm vain).... Still in for 25K this year.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:20 pm

The Petzl NAO has a newer version out so MEC selling the current version on sale. Read the reviews and it seems to provide the most light and I like the reactive feature (I need all the help I can get), although the newer one will be even brighter (but it's more expensive). No turning back now!

Must have got the last one, checked again today to post link and they are gone...just the new one is there at $183.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:18 pm

I had to different Petzl models. I lost one last year up in Banff. My second Petzl I give to my father-in-law in the Philippines. I need to buy another Petzl once I get back to Canada and visit a mec. :D
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:52 pm

I can't say enough about the Petzl Myo RXP. Half the price of the Nao, and has a diffuser. The diffuser is the coolest option out there, as it spreads the light around so that you're not running in a "tunnel". You can also program the headlamp to different power levels, so you can fine-tune your battery life.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:22 am

Regardless of how much I'm fine with my energizer basic one, I can't say enough about the battery - probably an energizer battery. It's 3 yrs (since I got the thing) later and it still works great.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:05 pm

I think I'm starting to see the "light"

There's this thing call lumens, and mine is only 38 apparently and well it's okay for me, everyone else seems to have these crazy bright ones. I'm totally jealous - running down the beltline in the AM (well before the time change) in the pitch black and then someone comes running along and lights up the whole damn thing.

So what are some "bigger" ones that are still comfortable to run with and practical battery wise. Seems like they have everything from 70lumens to 200 in Atmosphere. Though the 200 one seemed like battery life = 3 hrs, whereas I've pointed out, I'm still on the 1st battery 3 years later.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:24 pm

The one I bought I think is around 350 lumens...I wanted as bright as I could get because I'm a klutz. The one I got is the one Sylvie had and hers worked well at Sulphur. It's reactive so goes lighter or brighter as needed (smart little thing). I will also have a 2nd light or handheld...

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:11 pm

my Petzl MYO is 140, and while I love it I am also jealous of the brighter ones lol. But I'm not sure I would want more weight... this one is already a bit hefty.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:07 am

I've got this one from Cree- http://www.amazon.ca/Coast-19721-HL27-F ... B00BHVNKNA

It's pretty decent, and despite the $90 price in the link I posted, you can find them for about $50 on ebay. It's not quite at bright as the Cree Headlamp I have, but it's also way lighter and more compact. This one gives lots of light for running on rough trails in the dark.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”